First high(ish) end knife purchase need advice.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

First high(ish) end knife purchase need advice.

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Ok so I have a tenacious and mule plus a few other knives from ok brands. I want to get the Native 5 ,chaparral , or another mule in one of the high end steels. Im not looking for an edc but do plan on using it. I just need some advice from people that actually use them not just collect. Leaning towards maxamet but heard how hard it is to sharpen.
curlyhairedboy

Re: First high(ish) end knife purchase need advice.

Post by curlyhairedboy »

If you've got mostly experience with lower-end steels, I'd advise nabbing a chaparral LW. The XHP steel isn't terrible to sharpen, and it's not a huge jump like going from 8Cr13Mov to Maxamet would be.

later, you could try out something like M390 in a sprint.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:59 am
Ok so I have a tenacious and mule plus a few other knives from ok brands. I want to get the Native 5 ,chaparral , or another mule in one of the high end steels. Im not looking for an edc but do plan on using it. I just need some advice from people that actually use them not just collect. Leaning towards maxamet but heard how hard it is to sharpen.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I had a Native 5 LW and have a Chaparral FRN and use(d) both a lot. Just some random thoughts:

- Both significantly smaller than a Tenacious (and also a Mule concerning cutting edge).
Just something to consider if Tenacious size is what you are used to or want in your user. If you´re fine with smaller knives: Both great choices.
- I personally prefer the Chaparral FRN for its thinner, slicier blade and more compact closed size, while offering not much less cutting edge. It feels also more stable in my hand when doing harder cutting, but the Native might still feel more comfortable due to its more handfilling handle and the thicker spine (where the thumb will rest often). But ergos are so subjective, the next person might just feel the opposite of me.
- My Native LW was in S35 VN, the current one comes in S30V, the Chap comes in XHP: All three perfectly fine, and no problem to touch up for me on my Sharpmaker (which I´d recommend getting if you don´t have one already), though I am not the worlds best sharpener ;). If I had to choose, XHP would be my choice out of that steels
- I never tried Maxamet and from what I read it is not for me personally..
If I´d get a Native 5, I´d perhaps try to find a Native 5 LW in REX45, but actually I´d be just fine with S30V either
- An alternative I´d strongly consider if I were you: The just released RockJumper, and certainly in SE. While VG10 in PE might be to close to 8Cr13Mov if your goal is to try a really different steel, I think in SE it really is one of the best choices you can make

Keep us posted on what you get finally! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

If you have a Tenacious and like it, you might consider waiting a little while: Spyderco is releasing the lightweight Tenacious upgraded with s35vn steel. Big step up from 8cr.

If the Native is what you really want, there's a teal exclusive version at dealers right now with s90v steel, which is a huge step up from 8cr. But don't sleep on these if you want one, they'll be gone soon. If you don't like the color it'd be easy to dye.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/spyderco ... -c41ptbl5/
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you're not a sharpener, Maxamet is a great choice. You can send it back in to Spyderco for sharpening every couple months (seriously) on a 'normal person' EDC schedule, and pretty much always have a nice sharp knife.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I would suggest something in SPY-27. The general impressions on this forum is that is sharpens like VG-10 but holds an edge closer to S30V. The Para 3 LW in SPY-27 is not in stock in a lot of places. Rumor has it that a Native 5 LW in SPY-27 will make its way to retailers soon. There are a couple of threads on SPY-27 if you want to read up a bit more about how some users like the steel.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Well the Tenacious is a little on the big side for me. That's why I listed those models.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:07 am
I would suggest something in SPY-27. The general impressions on this forum is that is sharpens like VG-10 but holds an edge closer to S30V. The Para 3 LW in SPY-27 is not in stock in a lot of places. Rumor has it that a Native 5 LW in SPY-27 will make its way to retailers soon. There are a couple of threads on SPY-27 if you want to read up a bit more about how some users like the steel.

Probably available on SFO
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87717#p1457154
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Josh,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Native 5 Salt. A little bit easier to sharpen but a little less edge retention than the S30V version. Oh yeah, and all the corrosion resistance you could want. Crazy about mine, though I did dye it midnight blue...
Last edited by bobnikon on Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Get a Chap LW. Amazing knife and great steel!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

It all depends on what you consider a high(ish)-end steel & what attributes you're looking for. The Native 5 (in G10 & Lightweight configurations) probably offers the most variety of steels & edge configurations in a folder in regular production (that is, not counting sprints or retailer exclusives):
  • Maxamet: extreme edge retention at the cost of corrosion resistance & toughness—can be quite challenging to sharpen & reprofile
  • S90V: very high edge retention & very high toughness (for a stainless steel)—can be quite challenging to sharpen & reprofile & is found only in the most expensive Native 5 production variants
  • S110V: very high edge retention & very high corrosion resistance—can be quite challenging to sharpen & reprofile
  • LC200N: extreme corrosion resistance, very high toughness & decent edge retention—relatively easy to sharpen & reprofile. Also available as a fully serrated model.
  • S30V: good edge retention, good corrosion resistance & decent toughness—a well-balanced steel that isn't very difficult to sharpen & reprofile & perhaps just as importantly, the most economical choice. Also available as a fully serrated & combo edge model.
  • SPY27: Spyderco's new proprietary steel that will appear in an upcoming Native 5 Lightweight production variant. It's more or less a powder metallurgy version of VG-10 with the addition of cobalt & other smaller changes. The powder metallurgy process & tweaked chemistry means it has improved attributes over ingot VG-10... if I had to speculate, it would probably perform similarly to S30V or S35VN
You might also still be able to find older Native 5 G10 or Lightweight models in S35VN (similar to S30V, but with slightly better toughness & corrosion resistance & slightly worse edge retention).

And if you're looking for a "user", it's hard to go wrong with the Native 5. I used a combo edge Native for years as a warehouse work knife & have had no issues. It falls in the size sweet spot: big enough to get some real work done, but not so big that it will freak out coworkers. Yeah, the blade stock is rather thick for a knife its size—it's not nearly as slicey as a Chaparral—but the combo edge version is plenty robust for cutting some pretty tough stuff like steel-reinforced pallet straps.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Native 5 salt.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I think the Chaparral or Native LW Spy27 are the best suggestions. The nice thing about the Chaparral, is that you can pretty much always find one version or another in stock at most dealers. If you lose or break one, it's easily replaced, whereas most other options aren't.

I don't think Maxamet would be a good intro to super steels at all. After using some other super steels, more mild steels like M390 for instance, it makes sense to try harder, more wear resistant steels as you progress, but not before. You will have a better understanding of steels in general and should see some improvement in your sharpening skills along the way, if you take it slow.

People who jump in too quickly, tend to get overwhelmed and dislike certain steels, because they don't know how to sharpen or use those steels properly (like having the right steel for the right task). There's a definite learning curve when it comes to sharpening high carbide steels.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:07 am
How could I forget the spy27 native lightweight?? Yes, that's definitely a better suggestion for someone just branching out into higher end steels than the s90v variant. Spyderco sent a notification that it's shipping to dealers now.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:59 am
What scales do you want or prefer? G10 or FRN or other? It often makes a great difference in price and appeal.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I just happen to be carrying a Native 5 and a Chaparral today.

I don't have a Native in Maxamet but I do own other Maxamet knives and when it comes to edge retention nothing else comes close in my experience. As far as sharpening, with diamond or CBN stones I don't find it difficult to sharpen. I actually find it easier to deburr than many of the softer steels.

The Chaparral is one of my favorite spyderco designs with its thin blade stock and solid construction it's tough to beat.

I own several Natives but find myself carrying the salt most often because I really like the way it performs with the FFG serrations.
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:38 pm
I just happen to be carrying a Native 5 and a Chaparral today.

I don't have a Native in Maxamet but I do own other Maxamet knives and when it comes to edge retention nothing else comes close in my experience. As far as sharpening, with diamond or CBN stones I don't find it difficult to sharpen. I actually find it easier to deburr than many of the softer steels.

The Chaparral is one of my favorite spyderco designs with its thin blade stock and solid construction it's tough to beat.

I own several Natives but find myself carrying the salt most often because I really like the way it performs with the FFG serrations.

Well, offering serrated versions (and the Chap not) actually is a strong point for the Native in my book... still I 'd go with the Chap, but this SE Native comes close I have to say.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

The scales I'm not sure on. I have plenty of carbon fiber and g-10 but no experience with FRN. That's what worries me to drop that much $ only to find out I don't like it. I have several DMT stones and a Lansky pro diamond so I'm not worried about sharpening Maxamet or 110v. I might invest in some Spyderco stones if they are any good.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My advice is to realistically decide what you want from a steel, what you use your knives for and how much of whatever quality you value the most from a steel, what your sharpening capabilities and equipment/options are, and then pick what fits the best. I know that's not the most fun answer but you need some kind of goals beyond just grabbing at what seems "high end" because it may also be a "high pain in the arse" when it comes to fixing edge damage or bringing back a very dull edge if all you have is an Arkansas stone.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David