First high(ish) end knife purchase need advice.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: First high(ish) end knife purchase need advice.

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:59 am
..... I want to get the Native 5 ,chaparral , or another mule in one of the high end steels.....
Hello friend. Welcome.

When I hear the words High End and Native 5, one knife comes to mind.

The Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 in S90V.

Not only is this a regular Spyderco production knife that is readily available and easily obtained. It is in my humble opinion one of the finest pocket knives ever produced by Spyderco. It is the direct descendant of their 40th Anniversary Knife. High end handle, high end steel, superb craftmanship, elegant but ready to work.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Even though they are very similar... the native 5 and chaparral are completely different knives. Get a native 5, beat on it, enjoy it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Well I went to the local Spyderco dealer. They had the native 5 in Maxamet. When handling the knife it surprised me just how quick it would discolor from fingerprints. Seemed like you would need to wipe it with something often or keep it oiled. Not sure if I would like that in the long run. Im kinda torn between the native 5 in s110v and Rex 45.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Well I wound up with a used Manix 2. Its a Cruwear with grey diamond g10 handle. Its seen a fair bit of use but I took a chance on it. Hope I didnt do too bad.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The Manix 2 is an awesome knife, and plenty here swear by Cruwear. Nice score. Hopefully you like it.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Spyderco FRN is really nice. From a functional perspective you will have no problems with it.
Regarding the Native 5 vs Chaparral, I have and like both (Native 5 Salt SE and Chaparral FRN) but I prefer the Native. It's a little larger, making it more useful for me, but still pretty compact. Plus I prefer the ergonomics of the lock on the Native - the lock is wider, making it easy on the fingers when unlocking, and I feel that the spring tension is perfect on the Native whereas on the Chaparral it's a little strong for my taste. The build quality is flawless on both of my knives.
kobold

Post by kobold »

My suggestion is the new Sage in Maxamet and G10. If you invest in a dmt fine plate (any size) and the Spyderco UF stone (even the double stuff will do), it will be easy to keep it sharp. Add a one micron strop and it will be unstoppable. At least this is what i do with my Para 3 Maxamet. I just like the ergonomics better on the Sage. And it's Taichung.

While I am thinking about buying the Native 5 FRN in Maxamet, I still just wait for a G10, because it will have phosphor bronze washers - an improvement both in looks and operation.

Lastly the Chap is awesome, but a bit small and I prefer the raffir noble version exactly for its thicker handle compared to the FRN (I have both).

Ultimately, whatever you pick, you won't go wrong. :-)

Edit: I see im late to the party. You got a great knife!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10