Straight Spine Stretch XL FRN Color Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which color FRN on the hinted at 4" Cruwear Straight Spine Stretch XL that may be coming soon?

Ivory (same Ivory as the SSS sprint)
11%
Gray (same Gray as the Cruwear Delica exclusive)
23%
Charcoal (somewhere between Black and the Cruwear Delica gray)
8%
Taupe (see photo chart...looks cool!)
9%
Foliage Green (same as the CE Delica and Endura)
12%
Desert Tan (same as the Operation Iraqi Freedom Native)
No votes
Khaki (to blend in with khaki shorts/pants)
2%
Umber (see photo chart...looks cool!)
9%
Flat Dark Earth (never been done, would look super cool with TiCN, and would sell well to the tactical crowd)
14%
Norwegian Cheese Brown (to match my Surly ECR bike) :D
12%

Total votes: 65

Sumdumguy

Re: Straight Spine Stretch XL FRN Color Poll

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:36 pm
I like the foliage green with a black blade, or FDE. Burnt Umber might be nice.

That is not taupe on that chart, as any artist or clothing designer or painter can affirm.

Taupe
Thanks for setting them straight. That really bugged me, haha.

I chose Ivory, so I can dye it to whatever color I want.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:17 am

My understanding of Sal's limited remarks is that it will be released in FRN as G10 Seki models are prohibitively expensive and tend to fail because of this. Not that they aren't great models, they just aren't great sellers. I think a SSSXL in Cruwear with non-black FRN will sell consistently well. It is a great strategy in my opinion and this will be the ultimate test. I can't wait and I will be first in line! :D

Well, I think you´re right! Guess what made the SS Stretch (ivory) not the fastest selling knife sadly was the VG10: "Sadly", cause it really is a perfect EDC steel but people don´t find it exciting (anymore) - I love that steel though.

But on the flipside: From what I read Cruwear alone really should make the XL Stretch a hit, since many obviously are excited about THAT steel. I can´t weigh in here, but the upcoming XL Stretch will change that, since it most likely will be MY first Cruwear knife and experience... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Since this thread is about cheesy colors ... I'm voting "Smoked Gouda"! :cool:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:02 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:17 am

My understanding of Sal's limited remarks is that it will be released in FRN as G10 Seki models are prohibitively expensive and tend to fail because of this. Not that they aren't great models, they just aren't great sellers. I think a SSSXL in Cruwear with non-black FRN will sell consistently well. It is a great strategy in my opinion and this will be the ultimate test. I can't wait and I will be first in line! :D

Well, I think you´re right! Guess what made the SS Stretch (ivory) not the fastest selling knife sadly was the VG10: "Sadly", cause it really is a perfect EDC steel but people don´t find it exciting (anymore) - I love that steel though.

But on the flipside: From what I read Cruwear alone really should make the XL Stretch a hit, since many obviously are excited about THAT steel. I can´t weigh in here, but the upcoming XL Stretch will change that, since it most likely will be MY first Cruwear knife and experience... :)

I agree Warstein. I think if they nail the FRN color it will really help stoke sales as well! This is going to be a production knife, so there is no hype, FOMO, flippers, investors, etc to drive up prices. It has to sell itself. Steel and color selection really are critical in my opinion. It is a great choice to use Cruwear since there are zero production folders in the world using Cruwear, Spyderco and otherwise. Many people will buy the knife for the sole purpose of trying the steel cheaply. Then they will fall in love with the model and ergonomics. For a lot of these people it may be their first Seki knife, and when they see the quality and how awesome the FRN from Seki is, it may lead them to buy models like the Endura, Police LW, and Pacific Salts.

I REALLLY hope they are planning to put the 3" Straight Spine Stretch in production in the same reveal as the 4" XL version using the same Cruwear and whatever FRN color they go with.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, the 3” needs to be in production with VG10 and ZDP-189, both.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

My vote is gray, but I do like that cheese brown. I think it might be a bit close to the burnt orange (when applied to FRN), but could be wrong.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm surprised at all of the grey. :confused: Nothing wrong with it. I think the Grey Cruwear Delica is very nice looking. I'm just a little surprised there isn't more interest in some of browns like Desert Tan and FDE.

I also don't know if they will go with this shade given it was used in a Cruwear exclusive Delica. It may be locked up by that distributor for future exclusives now.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red