Straight Spine Stretch XL FRN Color Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which color FRN on the hinted at 4" Cruwear Straight Spine Stretch XL that may be coming soon?

Ivory (same Ivory as the SSS sprint)
11%
Gray (same Gray as the Cruwear Delica exclusive)
23%
Charcoal (somewhere between Black and the Cruwear Delica gray)
8%
Taupe (see photo chart...looks cool!)
9%
Foliage Green (same as the CE Delica and Endura)
12%
Desert Tan (same as the Operation Iraqi Freedom Native)
No votes
Khaki (to blend in with khaki shorts/pants)
2%
Umber (see photo chart...looks cool!)
9%
Flat Dark Earth (never been done, would look super cool with TiCN, and would sell well to the tactical crowd)
14%
Norwegian Cheese Brown (to match my Surly ECR bike) :D
12%

Total votes: 65

steelcity16

Straight Spine Stretch XL FRN Color Poll

Post by steelcity16 »

So it sounds like the 4" Straight Spine Stretch XL is going to happen, and Sal said that they are thinking of Cruwear as the base model steel when it goes to production. So obviously I am pretty excited for this as Cruwear is my favorite steel! They may already have an FRN color picked out, but in case they do not, maybe we could help them decide.

I would suggest that it is released in both Satin and TiCN options, and that the 3" Straight Spine Stretch be pushed into production alongside it's new larger brother in the same cruwear/frn/coating options. :D

I voted Umber and Norwegian Cheese Brown, but any of these would be cool, especially with TiCN. I like pure White as well, but left it off as I think it is better for an exclusive combo for some dealer to start a series with White/TiCN.

For reference:

Umber, Taupe, and Khaki:

Norwegian Cheese Brown :eek: I'd say it is a little browner than the Hap40 sprints. It would be interesting.

Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Re: Straight Spine Stretch XL FRN Color Poll

Post by vivi »

I've already said how much I like the Cruwear Delica color combo. That gets my vote.
:unicorn
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Absolutely love that Cheese Brown. Didn’t even know that was a thing, but I dig it!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:04 pm
I've already said how much I like the Cruwear Delica color combo. That gets my vote.

Now that you have said that, I might need to rethink this as I doubt Spyderco would do OD Green Cruwear TiCN (maybe Satin would be ok) since DLT likely has exclusive rights to that color combo in Cruwear across the board. :confused: I think I will replace that option with "Taupe", but your vote is noted! For what it is worth, I love that combo as well and hope they keep it rolling into all of the Seki models.

EDIT: I changed it. It registered your vote as Taupe, so you may want to revise to your next choice. Sorry about that. I should have thought it out more before posting! :(
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Seems like you could open a large new box of crayons and find dozens of interesting colors!

My .02,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:32 pm
Seems like you could open a large new box of crayons and find dozens of interesting colors!

My .02,

CG

I agree. I tend to gravitate towards the neutrals and the earth tones. Browns, oranges, and greens. I'm not as big on the reds, yellows, and blues. Pink can be fun, and even useful on a model like the Catcherman that I use in my yard to easily locate in the grass. The Purple PM2 was also a really nicely done shade of purple and paired nicely with the DLC blade and hardware.

I'd like to see more browns myself. There are so many great shades of brown.
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:10 pm
vivi wrote:

Now that you have said that, I might need to rethink this as I doubt Spyderco would do OD Green Cruwear TiCN (maybe Satin would be ok) since DLT likely has exclusive rights to that color combo in Cruwear across the board. :confused: I think I will replace that option with "Taupe", but your vote is noted! For what it is worth, I love that combo as well and hope they keep it rolling into all of the Seki models.

EDIT: I changed it. It registered your vote as Taupe, so you may want to revise to your next choice. Sorry about that. I should have thought it out more before posting! :(
Well I also voted foliage green, can't go wrong with that or OD green. Any of the darker, more natural looking greens look great.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:11 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:10 pm
vivi wrote:

Well I also voted foliage green, can't go wrong with that or OD green. Any of the darker, more natural looking greens look great.

I like the greens as well. I always try to get my fixed blades in matte green canvas micarta when it is an option.

Here are my four most recent knife purchases. All green coincidentally. I think they all look great, although I wish the 204P Delica was a bit lighter/brighter.

vivi

Post by vivi »

I do the same thing with fixed blades. I've been considering the BRK Highland Special in A2 and green canvas micarta.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Cheese brown looks weird in a cool kind of way, but I voted FDE, can't have enough FDE in knives :D :D :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I like grey.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:42 pm
I like grey.

Grey is an interesting one from the sprint/exclusive rules perspective. The Golden Cruwear sprints were in grey, but then a distributor did a grey Cruwear Delica. So does that distributor now have exclusive rights to Satin Cruwear models in that shade of grey? I wonder if Spyderco could even release this new model in Cruwear in that shade of grey at this point?? :confused:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Flat Dark Earth or Foliage Green for me.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I voted ivory and gray. As I just dyed my SSS teal, I appreciate the light neutral base colors that can be dyed easily.

With that said, I'd love an interesting shade of brown, although I don't especially like the ones in the poll. From the color chart in the OP, I think colors like chestnut, sienna, and mahogany are way more interesting.

And IMO, you just can't go wrong with green. Although there's been a lot of green lately, and more coming with the lc200n models.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

vivi wrote:
This. That green/grey, gray/green whatever you wanna call it with a black blade and hardware is DOPE. I like it because it’s not really a true OD green in my eyes.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the foliage green with a black blade, or FDE. Burnt Umber might be nice.

That is not taupe on that chart, as any artist or clothing designer or painter can affirm.

Taupe
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am more than excited for this model but don´t care a lot in which handle color it will come ( I still like the poll, it is just that handle color generally is not that important to me).

All of the mentioned colors would be fine.
- But that cheese brown is really cool and so I voted for it! :) I like burnt orange, and a more subtle version of that color maybe even more (and, as you mentioned, that´s much what cheese brown looks like!)
- Second would be gray, just cause this color is already associated with Cruwear
- Least favorite would be foliage green, just for practical reasons (I would/will use this knife certainly a lot in the outdoors, and that´s where I like colors that makes it easier to see it and less likely to loose/forget it at some place)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... Are we sure that it will even come in FRN (and not G10)?!

Though I certainly hope for FRN: As we all know the market response of models are sometimes tested with an - initially - cheaper G10 version before the rather expensive (but in the long run leading to a cheaper knife IF a model sells well ) FRN molds were made.
Sadly I am afraid that such a big folder might not necessarily sell as well as knives in the more common (smaller) PM2-ish or Para 3-ish size... :(
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:17 am
... Are we sure that it will even come in FRN (and not G10)?!

Though I certainly hope for FRN: As we all know the market response of models are sometimes tested with an - initially - cheaper G10 version before the rather expensive (but in the long run leading to a cheaper knife IF a model sells well ) FRN molds were made.
Sadly I am afraid that such a big folder might not necessarily sell as well as knives in the more common (smaller) PM2-ish or Para 3-ish size... :(

My understanding of Sal's limited remarks is that it will be released in FRN as G10 Seki models are prohibitively expensive and tend to fail because of this. Not that they aren't great models, they just aren't great sellers. I think a SSSXL in Cruwear with non-black FRN will sell consistently well. It is a great strategy in my opinion and this will be the ultimate test. I can't wait and I will be first in line! :D
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Foliage Green or Flat Dark Earth for me, I'm happy with earth tones. I couldn't select a third option, but I'd also be happy with Ivory.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.