Blade discoloration

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GaryArt1

Blade discoloration

Post by GaryArt1 »

I just purchased a Lil' temperance. I saw one side has what looks like a strain or bad heat treatment on the blade. I wiped off the blade well but the discoloration is still there
So far all my Spyderco blades have been flawless. Is this something to be concerned over. I tried to capture as best I could in photo.
PSX_20200929_135300.jpg
Current Spydercos in EDC rotation: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Dragonfly 2 Toku2, Vrango, Matrix 2 G10 Black, Native 5 Fluted Carbon, Canis, Native 5 Salt, Enuff Sheepfoot, Lil' Temperance 3, Proficient, Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Zwear micarta, Shaman Black/Black Spyderedge, DLT tan Yojimbo 2
Albatross

Re: Blade discoloration

Post by Albatross »

Where did you purchase the knife from?

I’ve had stainless blades with similar discoloration and it's never been an issue. I don't think that's due to a bad heat treat. Since it's not close to the edge, even if it's a spot that got overheated during grinding, it shouldn't affect cutting performance.
GaryArt1

Post by GaryArt1 »

I usually buy all my knives from SFO. This is first I bought through Amazon (them directly not third party). The price was hard to beat. I figured I would be safe with Amazon in not getting a counterfeit or second. I was worried more about the integrity of the steel rather than visual being this is more of a working knife Thanks for info.
Current Spydercos in EDC rotation: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Dragonfly 2 Toku2, Vrango, Matrix 2 G10 Black, Native 5 Fluted Carbon, Canis, Native 5 Salt, Enuff Sheepfoot, Lil' Temperance 3, Proficient, Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Zwear micarta, Shaman Black/Black Spyderedge, DLT tan Yojimbo 2
vivi

Post by vivi »

Looks like it may have been used once or twice then returned.
:unicorn
GaryArt1

Post by GaryArt1 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:06 pm
Looks like it may have been used once or twice then returned.
It is always possible but I highly doubt it. As soon as I saw the blade discoloration I immediately looked over entire knife and blade with magnifying glass. It looks 100% unused. If this was a return, the last person opened it, saw the blade and immediately repacked it exactly like new. This is my first Spyderco I purchased on Amazon but not the first knife. I have purchased many knives on there and never had an issue with that or the thousands of dollars of other items I purchased on Amazon as long as it is from them and not a third party. I have had issues from disreputable third parties.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks for this thread. I ordered the same knife on Amazon when I saw what a good deal it was. I'll be on the look out.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I wouldn't worry too much about it, try to wash it with soap and water first, in case its some sort of a thin film of oil. I've had similar bluish spots on stainless steel before, usually after cutting something acidic. Nothing to worry about, the chromium oxide layer is a living thing, constantly changes, and this could be just it.
GaryArt1

Post by GaryArt1 »

Thanks all. Yes it is really unnoticeable. I only saw it first when I oiled the knife and the spot had a rainbow effect. Once I cleaned it well, it became a blueish spot that you really had to look hard to see. My main thing was that it didn't effect the performance of the knife. You guys gave me more confidence that it won't. I may be more concerned if this was one of my "Gentlemen folders" but this is a work knife. I will keep the knife being I really like it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It may be discolored from getting hot from buffing the blade or something like that. You may be able to polish it out with Flitz or some other polishing compound. I have a Paramilitary that had a pricing sticker on it that probably sat in a display case for a year and the glue from the sticker left a stain.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David