Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Re: Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Postby carrot » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:58 am

elena86 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:03 am
I hope my beloved SE wharnie Delica is one of those “most popular models” Sal :spyder:
The SE Jazz Delica is a special knife to me as well and it's also what's stopping me from jumping on this initial run of RJ's. Doesn't the Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE count, or does it need to be FFG to be the full Salt version?

As for the RJ, I think it is looking like a merger of two things I like very much, the Stretch and the wharncliffe Delica/Endura. So it should be a no-brainer for me to snag one, and had it been out first, I'd have easily chosen the RJ.

dj moonbat

Postby dj moonbat » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:30 pm

My mailman was here a few minutes ago, and the Rockjumper is my new EDC knife for a few weeks.

It’s a very, very solid knife, and the ergonomics are all business. It’s not a fancy knife by any stretch of the imagination, but it just screams competence.

Wicked sharp, too.

olywa

Postby olywa » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:24 am

Superb ergos on the Rock Jumper, I will be carrying it as my EDC for the next couple of weeks. I'm more of a sheepsfoot guy than a wharny guy but I'm liking this one so far.

It came very sharp and the pivot was adjusted perfectly. The mid-backlock action is perfect. I don't miss the jimping or the Boye dent. The screws were all snug but about a half turn shy of tight.

The clip seems kind of like an afterthought though, I wish it had the wire clip. I had an MXG deep carry clip hanging around so I swapped it out and I'm very pleased with the result. Can't wait for the Leaf Jumper.

SpyderGrill

Postby SpyderGrill » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 pm

I got my RockJumper a few days ago, but havent carried it yet. The lack of a boye dent and thumb ramp jimping is no big deal to me. Lock releases easily, and plenty of blade material for dropping on finger for one handed closing. Do I like jimping? Yes, but I don't see an issue yet.

The handle feels good in hand, blade is sharp, fit and finish is perfect.

Here it is with my Delica

Pancake

Postby Pancake » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:49 am

I guess I wait for the LeafJumper. But this model is very nice
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
On belt: Waterway

tangent

Postby tangent » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:12 am
elena86 wrote:
tangent wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:47 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:21 pm
Hi Tangent,

Eric's long term plan is to make a Salt version of most popular models.

sal

Just saw this...that's awesome. Looking forward to it...each time I think "Spyderco can't improve on this..." and then Spyderco improves on it. The Rock Jumper feels great in the hand and is smooth as butter. I'm looking forward to the Salts. And I would guess that maybe we won't have to wait as long since LC200N is now in Japan. :D

I hope my beloved SE wharnie Delica is one of those “most popular models” Sal :spyder:

I can imagine it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare to make everything in a Salt variant, and who knows if the rest of the casual knife using world will even care, but I've said it before I will likely buy a SE Salt version of all my favorite models especially if they're done in FFG/LC200N.
I love the salt models because...

1. Rust Proof in H1 & Highly Rust Resistant in LC200N (I say this because I’m not certain LC200N is at same levl as H1)
2. Lighter weight than same model with liners
3. Grip is very slightly thicker than lined model which gives a better grip (for me)
4. Simplicity! (Less parts, less to go wrong)

I’ve said all this before...for a folder and what tasks they mostly do, for me, the salt (linerless) design is superior in every way. I know there are others who agree and I’m sure we are the minority, but I sometimes wonder what the ratio of people who prefer liners is to those who prefer linerless (and salts in particular).

Just rambling on a Sunday afternoon... :D

cabfrank

Postby cabfrank » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:45 am

I'm with you.

vivi

Postby vivi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:11 am

tangent wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:01 pm
Evil D wrote:
elena86 wrote:
tangent wrote:

Just saw this...that's awesome. Looking forward to it...each time I think "Spyderco can't improve on this..." and then Spyderco improves on it. The Rock Jumper feels great in the hand and is smooth as butter. I'm looking forward to the Salts. And I would guess that maybe we won't have to wait as long since LC200N is now in Japan. :D

I can imagine it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare to make everything in a Salt variant, and who knows if the rest of the casual knife using world will even care, but I've said it before I will likely buy a SE Salt version of all my favorite models especially if they're done in FFG/LC200N.

1. Rust Proof in H1 & Highly Rust Resistant in LC200N (I say this because I’m not certain LC200N is at same levl as H1)
3. Grip is very slightly thicker than lined model which gives a better grip (for me)

I’ve said all this before...for a folder and what tasks they mostly do, for me, the salt (linerless) design is superior in every way. I know there are others who agree and I’m sure we are the minority, but I sometimes wonder what the ratio of people who prefer liners is to those who prefer linerless (and salts in particular).

They are also easier to use due to larger opening holes. Compare an Endura 4 to a Pacific 2.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

StuntZombie

Postby StuntZombie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:21 pm

tangent wrote:
Evil D wrote:
elena86 wrote:
tangent wrote:

I'm with you. I've been tempted to swap my Jazz Delica blade into the Salt 2 handle, just because I don't have much trouble with rust on VG-10 blades.
Chris

I have a blog! http://thestuntzombie.com/

Haves: Manbug Salt, Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK, Wharncliffe Delica, Ti Squeak, Salt 2 Wharncliffe, Wharncliffe Dragonfly, DLT Trading Cru-Wear Delica, Gen 1 Delica

Evil D

Postby Evil D » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:01 pm

tangent wrote:

I did enough yard work with a Manix 2 that I know the right linerless design is plenty strong enough for even borderline abuse. I think in many cases you'd probably break the blade before the handle failed. Liners do add rigidity to the feel of the knife but the latest Salt and Native 5 both have 3D molded scale internals (I'm not sure if calling that skeletonized actually fits what they are) and that adds to the rigidity quite a bit vs the older flat simple molded scales.

What's funny is my two favorite Salt models aren't of the lightweight type...the Caribbean and Autonomy are more on the heavier side but they're basically bomb proof.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

tangent

Postby tangent » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:03 am

StuntZombie wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:21 pm
tangent wrote:
Evil D wrote:
elena86 wrote:

I'm with you. I've been tempted to swap my Jazz Delica blade into the Salt 2 handle, just because I don't have much trouble with rust on VG-10 blades.
I have already done this with two of my Jazz Delica models...I was able to get the exclusive S30V Delica Wharncliffe model from Cutlery Shoppe and swap the blades into yellow salt 2 handles. No regrets. These have been my EDC blades for over 2 years.

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”