Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Re: Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Post by carrot »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:03 am
I hope my beloved SE wharnie Delica is one of those “most popular models” Sal :spyder:
The SE Jazz Delica is a special knife to me as well and it's also what's stopping me from jumping on this initial run of RJ's. Doesn't the Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE count, or does it need to be FFG to be the full Salt version?

As for the RJ, I think it is looking like a merger of two things I like very much, the Stretch and the wharncliffe Delica/Endura. So it should be a no-brainer for me to snag one, and had it been out first, I'd have easily chosen the RJ.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

My mailman was here a few minutes ago, and the Rockjumper is my new EDC knife for a few weeks.

It’s a very, very solid knife, and the ergonomics are all business. It’s not a fancy knife by any stretch of the imagination, but it just screams competence.

Wicked sharp, too.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Superb ergos on the Rock Jumper, I will be carrying it as my EDC for the next couple of weeks. I'm more of a sheepsfoot guy than a wharny guy but I'm liking this one so far.

It came very sharp and the pivot was adjusted perfectly. The mid-backlock action is perfect. I don't miss the jimping or the Boye dent. The screws were all snug but about a half turn shy of tight.

The clip seems kind of like an afterthought though, I wish it had the wire clip. I had an MXG deep carry clip hanging around so I swapped it out and I'm very pleased with the result. Can't wait for the Leaf Jumper.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I got my RockJumper a few days ago, but havent carried it yet. The lack of a boye dent and thumb ramp jimping is no big deal to me. Lock releases easily, and plenty of blade material for dropping on finger for one handed closing. Do I like jimping? Yes, but I don't see an issue yet.

The handle feels good in hand, blade is sharp, fit and finish is perfect.

Here it is with my Delica
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I guess I wait for the LeafJumper. But this model is very nice
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
tangent

Post by tangent »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:12 am
elena86 wrote:
tangent wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:47 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:21 pm
Hi Tangent,

Eric's long term plan is to make a Salt version of most popular models.

sal

Just saw this...that's awesome. Looking forward to it...each time I think "Spyderco can't improve on this..." and then Spyderco improves on it. The Rock Jumper feels great in the hand and is smooth as butter. I'm looking forward to the Salts. And I would guess that maybe we won't have to wait as long since LC200N is now in Japan. :D

I hope my beloved SE wharnie Delica is one of those “most popular models” Sal :spyder:

I can imagine it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare to make everything in a Salt variant, and who knows if the rest of the casual knife using world will even care, but I've said it before I will likely buy a SE Salt version of all my favorite models especially if they're done in FFG/LC200N.
I love the salt models because...

1. Rust Proof in H1 & Highly Rust Resistant in LC200N (I say this because I’m not certain LC200N is at same levl as H1)
2. Lighter weight than same model with liners
3. Grip is very slightly thicker than lined model which gives a better grip (for me)
4. Simplicity! (Less parts, less to go wrong)

I’ve said all this before...for a folder and what tasks they mostly do, for me, the salt (linerless) design is superior in every way. I know there are others who agree and I’m sure we are the minority, but I sometimes wonder what the ratio of people who prefer liners is to those who prefer linerless (and salts in particular).

Just rambling on a Sunday afternoon... :D
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm with you.
vivi

Post by vivi »

tangent wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:01 pm
Evil D wrote:
elena86 wrote:
tangent wrote:

Just saw this...that's awesome. Looking forward to it...each time I think "Spyderco can't improve on this..." and then Spyderco improves on it. The Rock Jumper feels great in the hand and is smooth as butter. I'm looking forward to the Salts. And I would guess that maybe we won't have to wait as long since LC200N is now in Japan. :D

I can imagine it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare to make everything in a Salt variant, and who knows if the rest of the casual knife using world will even care, but I've said it before I will likely buy a SE Salt version of all my favorite models especially if they're done in FFG/LC200N.

1. Rust Proof in H1 & Highly Rust Resistant in LC200N (I say this because I’m not certain LC200N is at same levl as H1)
3. Grip is very slightly thicker than lined model which gives a better grip (for me)

I’ve said all this before...for a folder and what tasks they mostly do, for me, the salt (linerless) design is superior in every way. I know there are others who agree and I’m sure we are the minority, but I sometimes wonder what the ratio of people who prefer liners is to those who prefer linerless (and salts in particular).

They are also easier to use due to larger opening holes. Compare an Endura 4 to a Pacific 2.
:unicorn
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

tangent wrote:
Evil D wrote:
elena86 wrote:
tangent wrote:

I'm with you. I've been tempted to swap my Jazz Delica blade into the Salt 2 handle, just because I don't have much trouble with rust on VG-10 blades.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tangent wrote:

I did enough yard work with a Manix 2 that I know the right linerless design is plenty strong enough for even borderline abuse. I think in many cases you'd probably break the blade before the handle failed. Liners do add rigidity to the feel of the knife but the latest Salt and Native 5 both have 3D molded scale internals (I'm not sure if calling that skeletonized actually fits what they are) and that adds to the rigidity quite a bit vs the older flat simple molded scales.

What's funny is my two favorite Salt models aren't of the lightweight type...the Caribbean and Autonomy are more on the heavier side but they're basically bomb proof.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tangent

Post by tangent »

StuntZombie wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:21 pm
tangent wrote:
Evil D wrote:
elena86 wrote:

I'm with you. I've been tempted to swap my Jazz Delica blade into the Salt 2 handle, just because I don't have much trouble with rust on VG-10 blades.
I have already done this with two of my Jazz Delica models...I was able to get the exclusive S30V Delica Wharncliffe model from Cutlery Shoppe and swap the blades into yellow salt 2 handles. No regrets. These have been my EDC blades for over 2 years.
LanM

Post by LanM »

Just received my se today, along with a Caribbean. A couple pics with it compared to the native 5 and Caribbean. I like the way it feels in the hand, I too made the mistake of letting it close on my index finger. My hand size is average but I find myself sliding it down the handle to depress the back lock which then if you're a rookie like myself your index finger would be further down the handle than you should have it for safe closure. Simple lesson learned. I like that the texturing on the scales seems to be the same grippy pattern as the native 5. Looking forward to more.
Attachments
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
carrot

Post by carrot »

I have to confess, since the RJ SE came in, I haven't carried a single other knife. I'm on cloud nine nirvana with the RJ.

The FRN scales are very good and VG-10 is nice as always but I can't help but imagine having a blinged out RJ with K390 and CF scales!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i know it's not necessary, but i really love spyderco's jimping and hope it makes it's way to this model and the leaf jumper. did anyone ever say why it was left off? was it supposed to save climbers' hands? i'm pretty sure their hands are tougher than most.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:22 am
i know it's not necessary, but i really love spyderco's jimping and hope it makes it's way to this model and the leaf jumper. did anyone ever say why it was left off?
I believe that jimping could provide extra snag points and be potentially abrasive to ropes which seems to be the reason it is absent on the RJ.
Personally, I don’t find jimping necessary at all for most designs, but it also rarely bothers me when present.
My philosophy toward jimping is analogous to my thoughts on the lock dent as well.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:37 am
ladybug93 wrote:
i know it's not necessary, but i really love spyderco's jimping and hope it makes it's way to this model and the leaf jumper. did anyone ever say why it was left off?
I believe that jimping could provide extra snag points and be potentially abrasive to ropes which seems to be the reason it is absent on the RJ.
Personally, I don’t find jimping necessary at all for most designs, but it also rarely bothers me when present.
My philosophy toward jimping is analogous to my thoughts on the lock dent as well.
thanks. i remember reading that now and it makes sense to a degree. i guess if a knife was left out of a pocket, the jimping might contact a rope and degrade it's effectiveness over time. personally, i just really like the fine jimping spyderco uses. i find it to be really sticky without tearing things up. a rope would definitely be more susceptible than hands to that abuse though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
LanM

Post by LanM »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:02 am
Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:37 am
ladybug93 wrote:
thanks. i remember reading that now and it makes sense to a degree. i guess if a knife was left out of a pocket, the jimping might contact a rope and degrade it's effectiveness over time. personally, i just really like the fine jimping spyderco uses. i find it to be really sticky without tearing things up. a rope would definitely be more susceptible than hands to that abuse though.
In the hand I find that the long section of jimping in the frn on the handle works great, I couldn't make my thumb slip as it gripped a longer skin surface area and kept it locked in place.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Picked up a RJ when I read of Sal's design ideas and intentions. I really want this one to succeed. I like for my hand to be close to the edge. I also like a neutral handle so my fingers can more naturally to grip where they want similar to the Watu. The RJ checks both of these boxes. As others have mentioned, the ergos are fantastic. Also, I was not expecting the action to be this great. Not sure if anything is changed from other Seki backlocks, but wow!

Boye Dent - I would prefer a dent. This is probably because I use the middle of my thumb to close the knife. However, the action is so good this is not a deal breaker.

Jimping - I do like Sypderco's jimping on the thumb ramb. Not over done, but just enough. I think this is something I have just gotten used to. I do not think it is needed.

I am excited for the posibility of a a leaf shape. This is my first Wharncliffe. I was not sure what to expect. Most of my uses are construction related projects and of course the typical package opening. The shape so far has been excellent. I do not have to bend my wrist to get to the tip of the blade to penetrate. I am sold.
Attachments
FORUM_IMG_20210519_190001.jpg
FORUM_IMG_20210519_185942.jpg
FORUM_IMG_20210519_185856.jpg
FORUM_IMG_20210519_185832.jpg
FORUM_IMG_20210519_185726.jpg
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I’m going back to a local shop to see if they have any rock jumpers SE’s…I handled the leaf jumper recently when I got a para 3 and am definitely getting that one…the salt 2 wharnie SE rarely leaves my pocket so I’m gonna compare the two and I’m betting I’ll like it🤔
cjk

Post by cjk »

Picked up a PE Rockjumper last month. I needed to buy a birthday gift for my nephew. Rockjumpers were on sale at knifejoy, so I bought one for him and one for myself as well. It was something on my list of wants for some time. As I am am already a fan of the Delica wharncliffes (and the Endela and Endura wharncliffes too), I expected to be really happy with it and I am. More importantly, my nephew thought it was SUPER cool. He was fairly dis-interested in the rest of his birthday gifts after receiving it. He made little ribbons out of all the wrapping paper.

For me personally, I really like the handle from an ergonomics standpoint, but can't really tell you why. There's plenty of it and it gets out of the way and doesn't make itself noticeable in any way.
I dig how the Spyderco VG-10 and Seki-City Japan markings follow the curvature of the handle.
I also like how there's an adequate lanyard hole, but it didn't get in the way of placing the clip. I don't use lanyard holes, but don't mind them being there for folks who do.
I sure wouldn't mind having a K390 version, but the VG-10 one will suit me just fine.