Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Rock Jumper comparison thread + general info

Post by Evil D »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:22 pm
Can't believe it's almost parallel to the Sage (Sage 3 for the matter) in handle size. Thank you for the comparison pics, nice job!

I was a little surprised with that one and the Mantra 1. The Sage 1 was something like the 3rd Spyderco I ever bought but I really haven't carried one much or in a long time so I guess in my mind I just remembered it being smaller than it is. The Mantra 1 doesn't get enough recognition for how much edge it crams into the handle. It's a very efficient knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:26 pm
Now we need to start the campaign for a Rock Jumper XL.
Your words, not mine :D :p

If there was a bit more blade and a little more clearance for my thumb I'd be all over this design. This style of ergonomics speaks to me.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:35 pm
Evil D wrote:

If there was a bit more blade and a little more clearance for my thumb I'd be all over this design. This style of ergonomics speaks to me.

I am a little let down with the thumb ramp, I'd be much happier if it was at least shallower like the Caribbean. I'm hoping this design evolves into it's own family like the Delica/Endela/Endura, and this one being I guess the Endela sized version so maybe we will see a larger and smaller version. I could probably live with the thumb ramp to get a larger version.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:41 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:35 pm
Evil D wrote:

I am a little let down with the thumb ramp, I'd be much happier if it was at least shallower like the Caribbean. I'm hoping this design evolves into it's own family like the Delica/Endela/Endura, and this one being I guess the Endela sized version so maybe we will see a larger and smaller version. I could probably live with the thumb ramp to get a larger version.
This is where hand size and shape really comes into play.

I don't mind a prominent thumb ramp if I have a good amount of space to extend my thumb. Gripping a Police 4 or Millie behind the choil, the thumb ramp feels great. Gripping my Pacific Salt 2 with just my index finger in that wide, first groove feels great. Gripping the same knife with two fingers in that first finger groove, my thumb wants to rest on the spine. If it weren't for that particular issue I'd find Delicas very ergonomic.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:37 pm

I took two pics of each comparison, one lined up at the front end of the handle and one lined up at the beginning of the edge.
Great post, thank you.

Sal’s hands seem to be just about the same size as mine based on his prior designs, so I have high hopes for this being an exact fit for me.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for the exhaustive comparisons! This looks very close to the Caribbean handle in terms of ergonomic neutrality. Exciting!

Here's hoping it sells well and we see S30v and Cruwear!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

Here's my first attempt at a comparison pic with a Delica 4. Any tips/tricks? Hope this one will do. Let me know if you have any questions.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Thank you for the comparison!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Great pics, thanks D!
/ David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks David. Now I want one of these even more.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks David for taking the time and effort! Really appreciated! :)

Especially the comparison to the Manix is nice to see: When it comes to cutting edge length
one essentially gets a Manix sans choil (of course the blade shapes are very different, while the handle ergos are somewhat similar... if one compares the Rock Jumper to YOUR specific, clearly modded Manix... ;) )

It also looks to have very similar handle shape and ergos to the Stretch, and I guess there are not many who would complain about this...;).
You mention that the Rock Jumper handle is even a tad wider than a Stretch behind the choil - great news, since this exactly is the only tiny thing I´d have changed in the Stretch (a bit wider in the front part of the handle)

Really only slight negative for me on this otherwise great design:Like you (?) - I am a bit disappointed that they did no make the blade as long as possible (you mention that 1/4 of an inch could be added, that would be like 6mm and bring the edge length to PM2 dimensions).
It does not really bother me in this model that I´d carry as a dedicated climbing/utility knife - the more compact blade might even offer a tiny advantage here.
But for a general EDC more edge would be nice to have. Especially since one of the two main advantages of a backlock with edge all the way to the handle exactly would be to get the maximum amount of edge related to blade length (the second would be that the hand is close to the edge in a regular grip).

And when it comes to edge length I see it a bit like with sharpening choils:
One cannot add edge length (like you cannot get rid of a sharpening choil without reducing the blade height significantly), but one can easily make an originally longer edge shorter or, more practical, just shorten the edge in use by gripping the knife in a different way.
And since they exceeded the 3" legal limit anyway it would have been nice to have more edge
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

grubetown wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:48 pm

Here's my first attempt at a comparison pic with a Delica 4. Any tips/tricks? Hope this one will do. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for this!

Looking at the Delica/RJ comparison pic, I think it is a pretty clever solution that Sal did to hide the choil/ricasso and give the knife a full cutting edge. Very nice! :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

@david, @grubetown

Would it be a stretch (pun intended, lol) to kindly ask for pictures comparing the handle thickness of the RJ to the Delica and other knives? Thanks!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

The modded manix looks great. Took me a second to figure out what it was.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:42 am
@david, @grubetown

Would it be a stretch (pun intended, lol) to kindly ask for pictures comparing the handle thickness of the RJ to the Delica and other knives? Thanks!

I don't have a Delica to compare it to, but the RJ will at least be 0.5mm thicker since the blade stock is that much thicker than the Delica. The handle looks to be the same thickness as my Stretch.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:39 am
grubetown wrote:

Thank you for this!

Looking at the Delica/RJ comparison pic, I think it is a pretty clever solution that Sal did to hide the choil/ricasso and give the knife a full cutting edge. Very nice! :)

I don't want to sound like I'm dumbing down the design but it would be easy to assume he just extended the handle scales forward to cover the ricasso and got the desired effect. I've thought about having Delica scales made that do this exact thing.
Last edited by Evil D on Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
~David
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

This knife just calls out to me. Just looks like a cutting machine.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:15 am
nerdlock wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:39 am
grubetown wrote:

Thank you for this!

I don't to sound like I'm dumbing down the design but it would be easy to assume he just extended the handle scales forward to cover the ricasso and got the desired effect. I've thought about having Delica scales made that do this exact thing.
Looking at the picture it appears the two pivots are similar distances from the edge of the FRN. But adding a little there does seem like an easy way to turn useless ricasso into grabbable handle. For CQI, I think Spyderco could add a couple mm of FRN to the leading edge of the RJ handle, and get the blade under 3” without any change in the actual geometry of the knife.
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:42 am
@david, @grubetown

Delica - just under 10mm
RJ - just over 10mm

Due to the extra height of the handle it doesn't feel this close in the hand.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dj moonbat wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:15 am
For CQI, I think Spyderco could add a couple mm of FRN to the leading edge of the RJ handle, and get the blade under 3” without any change in the actual geometry of the knife.

That would be great but also probably the more expensive option since it requires a change to the FRN molds. I think I remember Sal mentioning that they're able to make minor edits to the molds without major cost but I'm not sure making them longer is possible.

I do think feedback is very important with this model though. Sal has said a couple times this is an experimental model so feedback will determine what happens next.
Last edited by Evil D on Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
~David