Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Post by curlyhairedboy »

There's also makers who are willing to do re-blades. Maybe look into that?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:35 am
Oloung1 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:43 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:43 am
i would like to try vanax and even in a pm2, but not with titanium.
I enjoy the exploratory questions on the Vanax steel despite production costs but I am still confused on a "dive" knife made of titanium scales. Lock designs aside, can some of the coastal and underwater users educate me on the benefits titanium scales other than water swelling?

I freedive/snorkel during my free time (living in a tropical country, though too busy nowadays), and diving knives are useful for a lot of things, like in our case, they are useful in freeing marine wildlife from fishing lines and castaway nets. Sometimes they are used also for picking and hunting down CoTs (crown of thorns starfish), a very deadly coral eating starfish that reproduces quickly and can destroy a reef in a short time. I haven't used my Spydiechef for these tasks mainly because the untextured titanium poses a risk in losing the knife while down deep - aside from the fact then when I got mine, I had no time anymore for freediving/snorkeling. If we are talking folding diving knives, FRN is a much cheaper and better option, and the Salt series of knives are the best for these applications.

Although based on experience, the best knife for underwater in my limited experience are fixed blades.

Apologies for quoting myself, just adding a few images of me snorkeling with some sea turtles (awesome creatures!) - I don't have a knife with me here in these images, but trust me that there are several instances in which these creatures have been found with fishing lines and / or nets strangling their necks. When you're down there with only one breath, the complexity of opening a folder, then using it underwater is much more complicated than it looks like above ground. This is why in my experience, a fixed knife is much, much better underwater - no fiddling with locks, just sheath and unsheath.

Back to the main topic. :)

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

^Very cool, nerdlock! :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

I would like a native 5 in vanax and titanium...too many pm2's in my personal collection. Wouldn't a mule cost even more since it's full tang?
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

Carlito555 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:41 am
I would like a native 5 in vanax and titanium...too many pm2's in my personal collection. Wouldn't a mule cost even more since it's full tang?
Native 5 LW Salt is a favorite of mine so a Vanax Ti would be great.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

No interest in Vanax or really expensive Titanium PM 2's.

I did just order the Teal S90V Native ltwt. as well as the LC 200 Pac Salt. There are any of a bunch of knives that would be more useful to me than an expensive PM 2 of mediocre performance.

If the OP has as many people interested as he thinks maybe he should crowdfund his perfect model and have it made instead of trying to invest Spyderco's resources on a limited interest model of not great performance. There are lots of models that are stainproof already at much lower cost.

Joe
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pm2og,

Well the thread certainly did light up in a short period of time, not to mention bringing in some new folks.

So first I'd like to welcome:

Dyrestraiz, Baconswagfl, Chrisoclm, Jddelval, JasonBeatty, Timechaser, Mikid and Maxfactor.

Thanx for joining and for sharing your thoughts. I hope you enjoy your time here.

I've been told that the cost for Vanax has gone down from the $70's to the $50's. I'll discuss it with Eric.

sal
ItsHef

Post by ItsHef »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:51 am

I've been told that the cost for Vanax has gone down from the $70's to the $50's. I'll discuss it with Eric.

sal

That’s a start! 🥳
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:35 am
If the OP has as many people interested as he thinks maybe he should crowdfund his perfect model and have it made instead of trying to invest Spyderco's resources on a limited interest model of not great performance. There are lots of models that are stainproof already at much lower cost.

Joe
Constructive criticism is valuable. This looks nothing like it.

Since when was more options a problem? Most knifes aren't for me, probably not this one either, but that's hardly a problem for for anyone.

He is not investing Spyderco's money, he's pitching an idea (for free, as far as I can tell). If they like it, it would be their choice to go along with it, and it would ultimately be their investment.

If the PM2 is the OPs favorite folder, he'll be hard pressed to crowdfund his own version without running into IP issues, but that's hardly his biggest problem if that was a viable option.
Wanting to see your favorite folder done in a specific variation is actually miles apart from wanting to start your own knife company, come up with a viable knife design, find a US OEM that can produce it to your spec, promote it, sell it and support it. That's like starting a completely new life.
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

sal wrote:
Hi Pm2og,

Well the thread certainly did light up in a short period of time, not to mention bringing in some new folks.

Dyrestraiz, Baconswagfl, Chrisoclm, Jddelval, JasonBeatty, Timechaser, Mikid and Maxfactor.

Thanx for joining and for sharing your thoughts. I hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
Sal,

That is awesome and thank you for looking into it. I know many dealers have asked about doing it as an exclusive and that is fine but I would love for it to have the option of being a regular production similar to Maxamet. I say this because there is some concern for the ability to get one if it is limited. If there is an exclusive with a dealer I would love to see it being a continuing exclusive like Rivers Edge Avocado PM2. Thank you so much for looking into it.

-Josh
Jddelval

Post by Jddelval »

sal wrote:
Hi Pm2og,

sal

Sal thank you so much for the warm welcome. Spyderco is by far my favorite knife brand and your willingness to interact on these forums is awesome. Thanks for being willing to even consider/discussing what to many would be a “grail PM2”.
thomasomoore

Post by thomasomoore »

I am totally on board with a Vanax knife particularly a PM2 as the platform and it would be a huge hit on many levels. From a marketability standpoint the demand for this steel is much bigger than people realize by both collectors and people interested in just trying out the steel regardless of knife maker. Jasonbeatty and I performed a survey of over 900 members of a PM2 dedicated Facebook group of what would be most desired material people wanted to see on an exclusive knife and Vanax was far away the most requested steel.
Co-Founder Spyderco Millie, PM2, Para3 club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/milliepm2p3club
@thomasomoore
@milliepm2p3club
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

That shimmer of hope amongst all the negativity! Sounds like a little win for Josh's quest. I love the action on my copper PM2, but the weight keeps it from being carried more often. Titanium would solve this. And I haven't been that interested in the other super stainless steels because of the lower edge retention. Vanax would help with that. This sounds like a winning combination.
•• Beau
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ItsHef, Thomasomoore,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Murk

Post by Murk »

I totally agree about adding a line of vanax blades to the collection
JasonPoteete

Post by JasonPoteete »

You can count on at least one sale here.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:

sal

Interesting. I wonder where a G10 PM2 Salt in Vanax would fall MSRP-wise compared to say the Maxamet PM2? :confused:

I'd be semi interested in a G10 (or even LW FRN since we can all assume a PM2 LW is imminent) PM2 Salt in Vanax if it was under $250 MAP. I have zero interest in a Ti version though.

My vote would be straight to a mule and then a Pacific Salt sprint with neon GITD bright pink scales after that. 100% serious. And Satin and TiCN options on the sprint for good measure.

If you want to troll the troller, you could always do a PM2 with the American flag on the blade and maybe something like a Scuba flag wrapped in a sea serpent on the Ti scales since OP's memes really point out how much he loves the CO flag PM2. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
KJKeyserSoze

Post by KJKeyserSoze »

Progress, sounds great! I will be anticipating with my money ready :D

Pm2, slysz bowie(2), para3. I'm sure whatever folding design, it will be well received !
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

A Vanax Slysz Bowie 2 sounds good. Very good.
Leobhern

Post by Leobhern »

I like the idea of a vanax pm2 and would definitely pay the price for it. I hope it happens! :)