Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Post by vivi »

I'd love to see Vanax but I worry about the price.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I think the price estimate has been worked up entirely wrong. There is enough information in the thread here to set some of this straight. It started with "Vanax costs 4 times as much as usual steels" so people started with $150 for a PM2 and took it to $600. But this is wrong. I see Sal's comment that Vanax has gone from $70 to $50. A post in another forum talked about paying on the order of $50 for a piece of Vanax to make one blade. It may well be true that the S30V for a PM2 costs $15 or so, and who knows the price in quantities that Spyderco would buy. But this is just a small part of the cost of the knife. If I have all this right, using Vanax would bump the price of a PM2 by $50 perhaps, not quadruple it to $600. People say Vanax is not that hard to work with. It isn't a nightmare like Maxamet for example.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I agree that it probably wouldn't be $600, but another thing that would add to the high price people are throwing around is the OP's interest in solid titanium scales, as well as essentially making it a "salt". If it were just a "regular" PM2 with a Vanax blade I agree it probably wouldn't be obscenely expensive. I've suggested a Vanax SC Manix 2 LW with translucent white (clear) scales, I think that would be a relatively inexpensive way to get Vanax in a good Spyderco platform.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I doubt Spyderco would put a Vanax blade into a non-Salt knife. I'd be very happy with a Vanax blade in the Native 5 Salt, which would also probably be the easiest route for Spyderco to go for a Vanax trial run in a folder. Maybe the OP could convince Abel Fly Reels to commission a run of the PM2 he wants, since they already have the ultra high end Native 5 - https://abelreels.com/abel-native-5.html.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:10 pm
Hey Darby,

Would a Mule team in Vanax get your interest?

sal
I would be interested in giving it a try in a Mule.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

Ez556 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:21 am
Wow, this is quite the thread! Firstly, my thoughts on the topic of a Vanax PM2 is that if Spyderco thinks it’s a viable option, it would definitely be a cool piece. If not, they won’t make it. Like others said, no one is spending Spyderco’s money by suggesting it. I’m sure it would be (to me) insanely expensive if it were done with linerless TI scales like the copper PM2, but it would still sell. My CruWear Shaman is my most expensive knife, and I use it, but I own knives to use them and that’s the upper end of what I’d reasonably consider for a “user”. I’ve recently discovered this isn’t the case with everyone however after seeing numerous people who have Nirvanas and Paysans as their “users”, evidenced by visible wear. Blows my mind. I’m sure it’s likely that the majority sold would be “pocket jewelry” and never see any serious use, but I’m sure that there would be a good number of people that would actually put them to use. Now, a quick comment on people’s perception of the OP...
(TL:DR the internet is vast with a lot of different environments. I don’t think pm2og is malicious in any way, just from a different environment and is acclimating to this forums culture.)
remnar wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:07 pm
pm2og wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:47 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:23 pm
I've seen far too much disrespect from you on Instagram towards Spyderco.

Hopefully your contributions here on the forum will be different.
Disrespect is relative. I have literally sold thousands of knives for spyderco by testing and promotion. I have much respect. Im also very deliberate and honest in the way i talk and interact. I have hate thrown at me every day. I deal. Its the way of communication in the new age. The older people get the less they understand it. Its evolution of communication.
I don't know anything about your instagram account or what you've done in the past but if you think throwing hate is "the way of communication in the new age", then it says a lot about you. But I am kinda old, so maybe I just don't understand. :rolleyes: A friendly word of advice: That B.S. don't fly here. Hopefully your communication will "devolve" back to a respectful state so that you can stick around and contribute to a great forum. :spyder:
This little exchange stood out to me, because I definitely understand where pm2og is coming from, but I also agree with remnar. Once you get to really any level of exposure on the internet, you are gonna get hate thrown at you. I don’t care how benign a topic may be, you are going to have those people who will throw insults and expletives at you and threaten all kinds of awful things. Say that you like to drive a Ford in a public environment on the internet and someone is gonna respond “#%*$ YOU FORDS ARE $&@% AND YOU ARE $*<@%*$ FOR EVEN SAYING THAT SO GO DIE IN A DITCH!!!”. Is it right? Absolutely not, I would agree with remnar that it shouldn’t be that way. But, that’s how things are in today’s world of internet communication, and everything that I’ve seen from pm2og here and on his Insta is frankly tame. A lot of his memes on his Insta are a bit at Spyderco’s expense, but that’s comedy, and they aren’t so in an ugly manor. I laughed at many of them. This forum is very polite and cordial, which is completely the result of the culture Sal, Kristi and others cultivate. It can be a little bit of an adjustment coming from other spheres of the internet though, and I think that is the case here. As I’ve stated in the past, I originally came from the Files of an AK forum, and that place is downright toxic in every way, but that was what I was used to, so when I spread out to other forums, I had to adjust. Within my first 3 posts on a Miata forum I got the ban hammer for a bit because I was responding in a way that was frankly pretty tame for the AK forum, but was evidently WAY over the top for them. This forum is even more welcoming (tame and polite) than that one, so I still had some adjusting to do when I began participating. My point is that I disagree with a lot of people’s assessment of pm2og, I just think it’s a bit of a clash of culture between internet spheres. We could all benefit from more respectful discourse on the internet though, the world would be a better place if it resembled this forum a bit more. I hope that pm2og and those he brought with him stick around and contribute to the discord here on the :spyder: Forum! Sorry for my novel :p
Thank you. Well said. Accurate.
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

Thank you all for the contributions to the idea. As much as I want a Vanax PM2 I would obviously be open to other models. I really want it to be USA made because I love the USA and because no one has done it yet. That being said I think a siren or native might be in more people’s interest and keep costs lower. The Abel Native was sweet but super high cost due to the custom finish. We don’t need fish painted in the Vanax but that native with a Vanax blade would be wicked sweet. We should definitely get to a PM2 but we don’t have to start there. I think if you guys could experience Vanax at 61hrc, as I have done extensive testing on, you would love it. As to my attitude. I’m just different. Probably on the spectrum and I speak directly and with purpose. Don’t mind me if possible and focus on the message not the messenger. If I’ve offended then I apologize.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:15 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:10 pm
Hey Darby,

Would a Mule team in Vanax get your interest?

sal
I would be interested in giving it a try in a Mule.
A mule would be fantastic (did I say this already?)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

pm2og wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:27 am
Thank you all for the contributions to the idea. As much as I want a Vanax PM2 I would obviously be open to other models. I really want it to be USA made because I love the USA and because no one has done it yet. That being said I think a siren or native might be in more people’s interest and keep costs lower. The Abel Native was sweet but super high cost due to the custom finish. We don’t need fish painted in the Vanax but that native with a Vanax blade would be wicked sweet. We should definitely get to a PM2 but we don’t have to start there. I think if you guys could experience Vanax at 61hrc, as I have done extensive testing on, you would love it. As to my attitude. I’m just different. Probably on the spectrum and I speak directly and with purpose. Don’t mind me if possible and focus on the message not the messenger. If I’ve offended then I apologize.
I think most everyone's ok now. I think a lot us of read the second post (Kristi's) and pretty much went on the defense. From what I've seen here she typically chimes in as needed and chooses her words wisely when she does. I'm sure she had good reason for writing what she did. We have a good group here of dedicated Spyderco fans and we can be a little protective. If we seemed a little put off at first it's because we were. I think everyone's said what they needed to say and the discussion's become more about the pros & cons of making a knife in Vanax

Personally, I'm on the fence regarding whether or not I need or want something in Vanax. I don't have corrosion issues with any steels in my use. So it would really be just another steel for me. If they did something other than a PM2 I still think the Siren is the best candidate. I don't really see the Native as being a good platform for it but I'm Native fan so I wouldn't argue. I agree about the Abel idea. As cool as it would be the price would be outrageous. I think using fluted CF might be a really good choice but honestly not sure. Yes, it would still be pricey but those scales are really nice.

Stick around awhile. This is a great place to hang out
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

pm2og wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:27 am
I'm not saying we need a fish scale painted knife for the first Vanax blade, but I wasn't clear on that. I did a poor job of using Abel as the example. My thoughts are that getting an expensive blade material (Vanax) in an expensive handle (Ti scales on a PM2) might best be accomplished by getting a dealer or distributor to foot the bill for an exclusive run, so it isn't a financial risk for Spyderco. Abel was the example I chose because their Native has a fancy metal handle and another highly corrosion resistant blade steel. I think a company like Abel that has an existing customer base who both buy luxury products, and have a desire (if not need) for a nearly rust proof knife, is probably the kind of dealer / distributor you'd want to campaign to commission the PM2 you want.
Dyrestraiz

Post by Dyrestraiz »

And while I do like to see customers raving about a certain product as asking for more, I have to believe there are some lines that are meant to be uncrossed. If we're looking for the ocean-dwellers PM2, might as well rock the Caribbean.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dyrestraiz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Dyrestraiz wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:03 am
And while I do like to see customers raving about a certain product as asking for more, I have to believe there are some lines that are meant to be uncrossed. If we're looking for the ocean-dwellers PM2, might as well rock the Caribbean.
You are absolutely right.

I think it is clear that if we see anything, the first thing we will see is a Vanax mule.

But your idea is spot on. Put this steel into a folder that is already a "salt" design, not a PM2 as a possible next step.
KJKeyserSoze

Post by KJKeyserSoze »

Salt Native 5. There’s the lc200N which I’m very happy and is my first native before I went on a native steel-collecting and since it can be FRN, would be cheaper than PM2 and of course, American made.

Sounds good to me. After the mule of course.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:21 am
Dyrestraiz wrote:

I think it is clear that if we see anything, the first thing we will see is a Vanax mule.

But your idea is spot on. Put this steel into a folder that is already a "salt" design, not a PM2 as a possible next step.
I'd be down for a Vanax Caribbean(or Rock Jumper).
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Dyrestraiz

Post by Dyrestraiz »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:13 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:21 am
Dyrestraiz wrote:

I'd go bonkers for a Salt Rock-Jumper, I'm thinking about picking one up today as a birthday treat if my local shop has a few.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:13 am

Now this is a lovely idea! What better way to celebrate a new knife by using Vanax for a Sprint run?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Dyrestraiz

Post by Dyrestraiz »

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:09 am
Hi Dyrestraiz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks Sal, sorry for the untimely response, lol.
sailhand

Post by sailhand »

A vanax mule would be fantastic. I have two lc200n mules and give them a really hard time and they are great. Vanax would be one step higher again, cant wait. A dragonfly or ukpk would be my preferred sprints in vanax or lc200n as an improved salt version. Especially the ukpk as that would have a wider market appeal worldwide in vanax. I dont think there is a slipjoint in the salt series and vanax would be great.
Cheers