Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Re: Vanax PM2 Lets Do This!!!

Post by bbturbodad »

pm2og wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:45 pm
Im hoping they dont spend to long on a mule. It is made in Taiwan and the process would make it years to get to an american made folder. Ill keep my fingers crossed.
FWIW...I think we're looking at well over a year before a release if this gets the green light. We're still waiting on the Rex 45 Native Chief that was announced in Reveal 4 on January 15, and that's a knife that had already been prototyped AND in a steel that's been in use.
-Turbo
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Vanax was brought up years ago January of 2018 on these forums. I recall hearing the heat treat being limited to only 60 hrc under the best circumstances. That was custom heat treat stating s30v level of wear resistance and 4V toughness. If the mules come out I will certainly buy one along with a spy27 one. I predict the spy27 will be the clear winner over time for me. I'm looking forward to seeing the on-going input if this comes to pass. For me I'm asking myself would I want vanax on a military or not. Right now the answer is no.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

MaxFactor wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:06 pm

No one requested a folding dive knife. It takes a few moments of critical thinking to realize that concept wouldn't play out well. Have you ever worked in the Sun in Guam in September? Your pocket ends up being just as wet and salty as the ocean; if not more so. Perfect use case for this concept.
pm2og wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:57 pm
This will be my shark stabbing knife. I really need a good one.
This is literally mentioned in the very first post on this thread. Although....he could be a fisherman and stabbing the sharks after he pulls them out of the water. I'd probably use some sort of spear on a 50ft pole(personally not going anywhere near a shark), but I'm not a shark fisherman so I'll let more experienced members speak to the knife requirements of shark stabbing.

Edit: He could have also meant loan shark, but I have no idea what those knife requirements would entail either.
Edit #2: If a Vanax PM2 is a viable self defense against sharks, you have my attention. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

pm2og wrote:
This will be my shark stabbing knife.I really need a good one.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:35 am
^Very cool, nerdlock! :cool:
Thank you! I terribly miss doing this but then, life and Covid happened :(
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
mikld

Post by mikld »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:51 am
Hi Pm2og,

Well the thread certainly did light up in a short period of time, not to mention bringing in some new folks.

So first I'd like to welcome:

Dyrestraiz, Baconswagfl, Chrisoclm, Jddelval, JasonBeatty, Timechaser, Mikid and Maxfactor.

Thanx for joining and for sharing your thoughts. I hope you enjoy your time here.

I've been told that the cost for Vanax has gone down from the $70's to the $50's. I'll discuss it with Eric.

sal
Thanks for the welcome Sal. Massive Spyderco fan, lurker on here for ages. :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:34 pm
Vanax was brought up years ago January of 2018 on these forums. I recall hearing the heat treat being limited to only 60 hrc under the best circumstances. That was custom heat treat stating s30v level of wear resistance and 4V toughness. If the mules come out I will certainly buy one along with a spy27 one. I predict the spy27 will be the clear winner over time for me. I'm looking forward to seeing the on-going input if this comes to pass. For me I'm asking myself would I want vanax on a military or not. Right now the answer is no.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77127&hilit=Vanax

Also linked earlier in this thread. I think they were running it a little harder later in the thread. Not sure I read what hardness any of the guys settled on as being optimal. I do remember that someone said edge retention was a little above S30V. I'd like to hear more from Chad, Luong, or Shawn.

It's definitely an intriguing steel but I'd much rather see it used in something with thinner blade stock than a PM2. I guess we'll take whatever we can get at this point. I know at the end of that thread Sal was asking some of those guys to send in their designs. Maybe we'll see something in Vanax from Chad or Shawn yet
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:41 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:

Also linked earlier in this thread. I think they were running it a little harder later in the thread. Not sure I read what hardness any of the guys settled on as being optimal. I do remember that someone said edge retention was a little above S30V. I'd like to hear more from Chad, Luong, or Shawn.

It's definitely an intriguing steel but I'd much rather see it used in something with thinner blade stock than a PM2. I guess we'll take whatever we can get at this point. I know at the end of that thread Sal was asking some of those guys to send in their designs. Maybe we'll see something in Vanax from Chad or Shawn yet
I believe it was Shawns knife Sal was using. I consider Shawn a friend and own several of his customs. Now I'm personally more excited for his collab in 15V over vanax. I would rather see resources dedicated to that first.
edcfirefighter

Post by edcfirefighter »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:14 pm

What don't you like about the Military for your line of work? I think that would be my choice if I was in your boots.
I totally agree. A Millie would work great too. I need to pick one up.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

pm2og wrote:
Lumpy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:53 pm
Vanax Pm2 would be cool, but Vanax siren would be cooler :cool:

I’m just loving my siren so much, and need an excuse for a second one. Vanax would be perfect.
A vanax siren is something I could compromise to. It makes sense and would cost very little to make work. Im hoping they dont spend to long on a mule. It is made in Taiwan and the process would make it years to get to an american made folder. Ill keep my fingers crossed. All you have to do is look up all the testing thats been done on Shannon Steel Labs knives with myself or much more famous guys like CedricandAda on youtube.
Man it’s gonna be 2 years at absolute minimum. We still haven’t seen knives from a reveal earlier in the year yet... I have a feeling you’ll have to be patient. And perhaps more polite in other areas of social media. So much for really being done with the pm2 when you made a youtube video saying so.
pm2og wrote:
...If you follow me on instagram...
no, I would never.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:47 pm
pm2og wrote:
Lumpy wrote:

I’m just loving my siren so much, and need an excuse for a second one. Vanax would be perfect.
A vanax siren is something I could compromise to. It makes sense and would cost very little to make work. Im hoping they dont spend to long on a mule. It is made in Taiwan and the process would make it years to get to an american made folder. Ill keep my fingers crossed. All you have to do is look up all the testing thats been done on Shannon Steel Labs knives with myself or much more famous guys like CedricandAda on youtube.
Man it’s gonna be 2 years at absolute minimum. We still haven’t seen knives from a reveal earlier in the year yet... I have a feeling you’ll have to be patient. And perhaps more polite in other areas of social media. So much for really being done with the pm2 when you made a youtube video saying so.
pm2og wrote:
no, I would never.
Very judgmental for someone who doesn’t follow me.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

pm2og wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:12 pm
prndltech wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:47 pm
pm2og wrote:
Lumpy wrote:

pm2og wrote:
no, I would never.
Very judgmental for someone who doesn’t follow me.
I don’t for good reason, but here isn’t really the place so I’ll bow out now. One doesn’t have to follow someone to see how they act in public eye, which is now social media as you stated earlier in this thread.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

edcfirefighter wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:05 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:14 pm

What don't you like about the Military for your line of work? I think that would be my choice if I was in your boots.
I totally agree. A Millie would work great too. I need to pick one up.

You should. Carry one for a month straight in your job and I think you'll find the PM2 lacking once you switch back. It's all about perspective. Go from a Delica to a Manix and the Manix seems huge. Go from a Manix XL or Military down to a Manix and it feels like a toy. It's why I use my 8" Chefs knives for 99% of what I do in the kitchen. They can do it all. If you can legally and comfortably and conspicuously (not to frighten the non-knife folk) carry a larger folder like a Millie, or Endura, or Police LW there is little to no downside. I carry the Endura EDC these days, but when I work outside with gloves it is the Military for me. A Police LW is next on my list when the K390 drops.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
rivy

Post by rivy »

I’m surprised to see so many on this forum offended by Memes from IG asking for model variants and new steels... I must be missing something.
Johncjeff

Post by Johncjeff »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:32 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:41 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:

I believe it was Shawns knife Sal was using. I consider Shawn a friend and own several of his customs. Now I'm personally more excited for his collab in 15V over vanax. I would rather see resources dedicated to that first.
Yes. I’ll second that. Can’t wait for the 15v collaboration
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The PM2 is not interesting to me. A 4 inch straight spine Stretch Salt in Vanax would be really nice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JasonBeatty

Post by JasonBeatty »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:28 am
Im all for vanax. Im all for titanium, even if that combo puts the price through the roof.

But please no pm2.
I would rather see the knife be a stand alone model.

I dont have IG or anything else. Im like wartstein I fool around here and thats pretty much it.

Just to say a few things.
20% of the replies in this thread are from the OP. Nothing wrong with that but its something to keep in mind when we say the thread blew up.
Are we sure a lot of the new members who joined because of this thread arent the OP? If someone is going to spam a forum thats a good way to do it. I will assume this is not the case.
Its fine to ask for something, but please dont do it to an excessive degree.
1. This is unfortunate, but the OP seems to enjoy being a lightning rod.
2. We are sure. You can find us on the other parts of the internet that you haven’t explored, come join us.
3. Agreed.
Ifuxwrox

Post by Ifuxwrox »

Hey sal, thanks for the warm welcome. I hope you’re thinking about a vanax dragonfly2. Favorite spyderco ever! I’d buy a mule team and kit it out with some red and black g10.
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

JasonBeatty wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:54 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:28 am
Im all for vanax. Im all for titanium, even if that combo puts the price through the roof.

But please no pm2.
I would rather see the knife be a stand alone model.

I dont have IG or anything else. Im like wartstein I fool around here and thats pretty much it.

Just to say a few things.
20% of the replies in this thread are from the OP. Nothing wrong with that but its something to keep in mind when we say the thread blew up.
Are we sure a lot of the new members who joined because of this thread arent the OP? If someone is going to spam a forum thats a good way to do it. I will assume this is not the case.
Its fine to ask for something, but please dont do it to an excessive degree.
1. This is unfortunate, but the OP seems to enjoy being a lightning rod.
2. We are sure. You can find us on the other parts of the internet that you haven’t explored, come join us.
3. Agreed.
Excessive does not sound like me. Im just tenacious.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pm2og wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:12 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:07 pm
Man, am I oldschool... never ever been on Instagram (nor on Facebook, Twitter...for that matter) and this forum is the only one I am active on.
So I have no idea what is/was going on Instagram and can just say 'welcome to the forum'.
Will have to look up what Vanax is like. No idea either tbh... :o
Old School is a good school. Thank you for the warm welcome. Vanax is amazing. It is a nitrogen steel that is truly stainless with similar edge retention as Elmax and the toughness of s35vn. really amazing.

Thanks for the insight concerning Vanax! Sounds very interesting and sure has great and very balanced properties, if total rustproofness is a main concern.
Though in my use (and the climate I live in) I am not looking for that, since I can´t even corrode knives in for example S30V or XHP despite a lot of outdoor use and -carry in humid and "sweaty" conditions.
Also the PM2 is a nice, but still not my favorite model and so I personally would not have much reason to pay the price for that particular knife in Vanax.

Still I hope you and those who are excited about it will finally get this knife (as I generally grant anyone their dream model) :)

/ And yes, "oldschool" and never having been on Instagram or Facebook (generally never, not just concerning knives) is just fine for me personally.. ;) But more power to all who are more "newschool" and like to be on that places! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)