how are sales figures for the spyderco parata?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JustinUtherdude

how are sales figures for the spyderco parata?

Post by JustinUtherdude »

Howdy guys. I was wondering how popular the parata is proving to be, and if there is currently enough interest to end up making one in a steel that is better than vg-10. I really like the knife, but I feel a little weird about purchasing a $190 knife that still uses vg-10.
Hambone

Re: how are sales figures for the spyderco parata?

Post by Hambone »

I have put Parata in and taken it out of my cart so many times. Ha. Like you said, mentally, hard to get past VG10, but in reality we wouldn’t know the difference or, maybe, would actually appreciate it on the Parata.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Another victim of Seki G10 pricing... I bet it will be discontinued soon. Great looking design tho
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

All the Japanese folders with G-10 are/were overpriced and there are now fewer and fewer as many have been discontinued.

The Chinook4 with S30V and G-10 made in Japan is $241.50!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:14 pm
All the Japanese folders with G-10 are/were overpriced and there are now fewer and fewer as many have been discontinued.

Which is sad. Because, some great G10 knives have come out of there.

I'm really enjoying the Lil Temp 3. I just wish it had VG-10, rather than S30V. But, oh well!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I recall Sal saying they actually ship US made G10 over to Seki, due to the price of Japanese G10.

I suppose this has a significant effect on the pricing of those models.

Quite a few years ago, there was a discussion about using Japanese manufacture.

Japan used to be a cheap source of labour, post WW2, like Taiwan. That was still the case when Spyderco first started making knives there in the early 80s.

Over time, wages and ancillary costs have increased to the level where the same ‘value’ may not be there.

Obviously there is also a deep pool of blade culture, knowledge and crafting skill in places like Seki, Takefu, Sakai, Sanjo and Kyoto and other places in Japan.

In the past, people have said that they were still happy to pay a higher premium to have the quality of the Seki models.

But there will be a time when the cost of Japanese models will outstrip the perceived quality level in relation to the craftsmanship that is possible in other countries.

I think we may be nearing that time now.

For those of us outside the US, the price of some of these models can put them in a similar tier to a custom made knife by a local maker.

I’ve also had Paul Alexander’s models in my cart many times and always passed on them both because of the price and because I already have ‘too many’ VG10 knives.

I think they will be coveted future classics though, once they’re discontinued. They really seem to be consistent with Spyderco’s tradition of bold technical and design innovation.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I couldn't get past the blade shape. I previously bought a knife that was all belly and found that I didn't like it. Definitely prefer the wharnclife straight edges or close to it. From an aesthetic standpoint though, a gorgeous design and the stop lock is on my list of things I want in the collection. Maybe there will be a Golden Model with a stop lock.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

RamZar wrote:

I paid $127 for my Police 3 and that felt like a good value to me at the time. Still does. I love VG10 but paying $200+ for a VG10 knife feels weird to me too. The Temperance 2 was a really, really nice knife, but I can get US made fixed blades with essentially the same materials (AEBL or CPM154 with micarta scales and kydex) for $60-120. So I never owned a Temp2 despite loving the handle and blade shape.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'll be honest - it looks like a great design, but I'd need a discount to consider it over some of the other models that are on the horizon.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I'd love to try that lock, and I think Paul Alexander's designs are incredibly cool. But as others have said, I'm not sure that blade shape would work for me.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:39 pm
RamZar wrote:

I paid $127 for my Police 3 and that felt like a good value to me at the time. Still does. I love VG10 but paying $200+ for a VG10 knife feels weird to me too.

Was your Police3 brand new with VG-10 and G-10 for $127? If so, when?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

It's not the blade material that bothers me, it's the boring slabs of black g10. Another colour wouldn't have made the knife more expensive to produce but it would have made it more desirable. To me, at least.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wanted to try the lock but would have preferred it in a bit more traditional design. I'll be watching the disco lists for sure.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Thunderpants wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:13 am
It's not the blade material that bothers me, it's the boring slabs of black g10. Another colour wouldn't have made the knife more expensive to produce but it would have made it more desirable. To me, at least.
Totally agree.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:01 am
I wanted to try the lock but would have preferred it in a bit more traditional design. I'll be watching the disco lists for sure.
exactly - i nabbed two Ouroboros then, hopefully I'll be able to get a similar deal.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vivi

Post by vivi »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 pm
vivi wrote:
RamZar wrote:

I paid $127 for my Police 3 and that felt like a good value to me at the time. Still does. I love VG10 but paying $200+ for a VG10 knife feels weird to me too.

Yes. Around the time they hit store shelves I took a four hour detour on a road trip to swing by New Graham and purchase one. 2007 or 2008 I think.
:unicorn
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:52 pm
RamZar wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 pm
vivi wrote:
RamZar wrote:

Yes. Around the time they hit store shelves I took a four hour detour on a road trip to swing by New Graham and purchase one. 2007 or 2008 I think.

Price of $127 for Police VG-10/G-10 makes sense since it's from 2007-2008. My Military S30V/G-10 from September 2005 was just $103 brand new!

The last Police4 model with G-10 had K390 steel and it came out in September 2017 for $201.50.