Where do you grip large knives with a choil?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Where do you grip large knives with a choil?

Using the index finger choil
48%
Not using the index choil
33%
Other (specify in a post)
19%

Total votes: 58

JD Spydo

Re: Where do you grip large knives with a choil?

Post by JD Spydo »

I guess in a way I've probably got a weird approach to folders with a choil option. I've got several models with a choil but I hardly ever use them in the way most people do. I just go with what is comfortable for me and I also try to attain the most leverage I can get no matter what type of handle design I have.

I've always had a philosophy which simply states "Whatever Works" and it has done me well over the years.

Now I always keep safety in mind>> that's always my ultimate top priority.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

You know, it's a good question. On the PM2, Para 3, Stretch, and Dragonfly I immediately grip the choil.

On the Military, I initially grip without the choil, then slide forward into the choil to get more control over the blade. That's the primary reason I like the choil - my hand is closer to the cutting edge, and I feel like I have more control.

I hope that the Military 2 will use the larger choil from the PM2; the one on the current Militar is a bit small and has a bit less bite.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If the knife is large enough I grip behind the choil. I use the choil on smaller knives or when choking up for better control. Like when cutting tape on boxes without stabbing the blade all the way in.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I use both holds, depending on the kind of cutting I’m doing. I’ll also often use a pinch grip with my thumb in the Spydiehole and first or middle fingertip in the choil. I like the feature, myself.

I also like the minimal kind of forward finger choil, which can be more like a ‘finger shelf’ like the Stretch 1, GB1, Junction and Bradley Bowie have.

I also like the way utilising it subtly alters the balance of the knife in hand for different tasks.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am the exact opposite vivi. I instinctively reach for the choil on knives that have one. I prefer a more choked up grip to maximize the control on blades. This is more important for me on large knives like the Millie, ATR, Police 4, etc.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Why would anyone purposely reach so far forward on a large knife as to miss the handle and grab the choil? I do not understand this. I understand grabbing the handle and then choking up, but not bypassing a normal grip.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:13 pm
No choils . A properly designed handle and finger guard is best.
Agree!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Maybe because I grew up with finger choils, but I also immediately reach for them

Grabbing a military or police behind the choil makes the edge seem so far away
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

For me it depends on the task and the knife. I find the range of grips useful- catering to reach or fine control depending on need.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:41 am
Depends on how I'm using the knife. For most I'll grip behind the choil, but for finer work I'll use it, and for really fine work my thumb and most of my fingers are out on the sides of the blad and my index finger is on the spine.
Exactly. I don’t even really think about it. If I’m getting up close, the index finger just naturally slides up front.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:53 pm
Why would anyone purposely reach so far forward on a large knife as to miss the handle and grab the choil? I do not understand this. I understand grabbing the handle and then choking up, but not bypassing a normal grip.
I realize the grip is subjective and dependent on the cutting chore, but I always try to make the most use of the mechanical advanrage of having my hand as close to the edge as possible. I usually have my thumb on the ramp or on the spine for heavy cutting so the choil aids in my leverage.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:13 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I realize the grip is subjective and dependent on the cutting chore, but I always try to make the most use of the mechanical advanrage of having my hand as close to the edge as possible. I usually have my thumb on the ramp or on the spine for heavy cutting so the choil aids in my leverage.
I understand that. What mystifies me is choosing that grip as the normal grip, first and foremost. If I need to choke up on a knife I will do so, but not in normal cutting.

Incidentally, the Military is the only knife larger than a Chaparral that gets the choil right, as far as I am concerned. I do not care for choils but actually like the one on the Military.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Unless I am doing something truly bizarre with the knife, I always ignore the choil. To my mind, it is there for that one in a million case where I want it, but if it vanished, that would suit me fine. I have a Manix 2 (not XL) here next to me and picking it up, I have no urge or inclination to use the choil. So it by no means annoys me, but I rarely use it.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

It depends on the task, really. I do find that I naturally gravitate towards holding my Manix 2 or PM2 behind the choil because it is in that grip where my slightly extended thumb falls exactly on the thumb ramp.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:

Might depend, to some extent, on how you open the knife. I almost always open mine by using a controlled rotation with the pad of my thumb in the Spyderhole. That tends to place my hand fairly forward on the handle of even a really large Spyderco folder like the Police 4. Because of that, there's no "reaching" involved when my index finger winds up in the choil. In fact, I have to move my hand back on the handle if I don't want to use the choil.

Also, for me anyway, there's another advantage of the choil on a large midlock Spyderco folder. If I place a finger there, I know I can let the blade drop onto it when closing the knife without cutting myself.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:27 am
xceptnl wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Incidentally, the Military is the only knife larger than a Chaparral that gets the choil right, as far as I am concerned. I do not care for choils but actually like the one on the Military.
Doc, have you ever tried the Kapara choil? I happened to like it a lot. Rather subtle and nostly in the handle (and not in the blade) so it sacrifices very little cutting edge.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:24 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
xceptnl wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Doc, have you ever tried the Kapara choil? I happened to like it a lot. Rather subtle and nostly in the handle (and not in the blade) so it sacrifices very little cutting edge.
No, I haven't. I love everything about the knife except one thing: the lock. I would have preferred a back lock. But that's me.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:00 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:24 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
[quote=xceptnl
No, I haven't. I love everything about the knife except one thing: the lock. I would have preferred a back lock. But that's me.
I am totally with you. A Kapara with a backlock or maybe linerlock would be great (though I think that probably with a backlock the exact same blade would not fit in the narrow handle).

I generally prefer back, CBB-, and linerlock over the comp.lock, but especially the Kapara complock is a bit awkward to operate in a bit "harsher" conditions due to the small cutout and narrow handle.

The design of the subtle choil s perfect though!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I almost never grip the choil on four-finger folders. Even on a Delica I find the handle length adequate such that I don’t long for a choil. For detail work I often perform a pinch grip on the blade, closer to the tip. But for most uses I just grasp the handle to accomplish the task.