Z Wear Shaman OR Rex 45 Chief

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sherbert4537

Z Wear Shaman OR Rex 45 Chief

Post by sherbert4537 »

Hello, I am relatively new to this forum and this is my first topic. I have a small dilemma. The Z Wear Shaman and the Rex 45 Chief by all accounts SHOULD be coming out before the end of the year (maybe). My funds only allow for one or the other. Here is my situation.

I own a Shaman in Rex45 and do like it. Its a great steel, possibly my current favorite, and feels well in the hand. I don't own a Chief, and have never handled one. I hear its basically an extended Native Handle which does fit my hand well. I also don't own, and have never owned any derivative of Cruwear. I feel as if I may be missing out based on all of the reviews I've read across the web.

Lastly, in terms of size the chief is at the upper threshold of what I like in folder length. Generally if its above 3.5" of blade I am starting to think fixed blade. Please help me weigh out this decision.
JuPaul

Re: Z Wear Shaman OR Rex 45 Chief

Post by JuPaul »

Do you have blade length restrictions where you live? If so, that might make your decision easy since the Chief has a 4"+ blade.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Tough call. How do you feel about back lock versus the compression lock?

I like Cruwear. It is a great steel but people may be making it out to be more than it is. What I like the best about it is its sharpening response. It is really easy to put a fantastic edge on it.

The Shaman is one of my all time favorites, I have several and am glad to have each one.
I don't have a Chief. But that is just me.
sherbert4537

Post by sherbert4537 »

Good note. Blade lengths aren’t an issue in my state. I should probably provide some insight into intended use to get specific feedback. This knife really wouldn’t be a daily carry (office). It would go into the hiking backpack for general use and food prep, or the hunting bag given the season. It would also get used around the house for general household and yard work tasks.

I think for me it boils down to: A) do I want to try a new model in a known steel. B) Do I want to try a new steel in a known model.
sherbert4537

Post by sherbert4537 »

I originally avoided anything but a compression lock or Ball bearing lock like the plague. That all changed when I got my first native. I feel as though I like them equally. An equal lock opportunity employer, if you will. However, I did elect to get the back lock lil’ native as opposed to the compression lock version.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Maybe it's just me but I just can't get behind the looks of the Chief...kinda looks like a Photoshop-stretched version of the Native.

Also you already have the Rex 45. Although it would technically be the same knife, the blade steel and the handle material would be different enough to warrant a another Shaman purchase. That's just my opinion though :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
sherbert4537

Post by sherbert4537 »

Nerdlock, you do have some good points about it looking very stretched compared to the Native. I just keep coming back to the fact that if I am going to buy something with a ~4" + blade that will only be carried for yardwork/hiking/hunting it should just be a fixed blade. Maybe the SPY27 Mule.

Z-wear/Cruwear does intrigue me based on the cult like following it has. Plus the Micarta handle looks really cool on the Shaman package to boot.

I'm hoping someone that has experience with both models might have some insight. Given the exclusivity of both of these upcoming sprints I may just buy whichever one comes out first, assuming I even get one. Or I may just buy both with the intentions of moving one or the other along I supposed, but I generally try to avoid that.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Pay the too high price and get the s90v chief. New steel for you, new knife for you.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am asking myself why I don't have the Chief. I figure in a blade that size, I already have the Military (or Police 4).
I am also not overly fond of back-locks. Given the choice I'll pick another knife, though I have warmed up to the
backlock. If it is a knife to go in a backpack, go with the native. If you want a bigger blade and your idea about a fixed
blade seems right, then go with it! Hiking is one time when I actually feel entirely free to carry a fixed blade.

I like small fixed blades. Like the size of a mule. The now discontinued Junction was a nice size.
Get yourself a Bow River.

Honestly, if I wouldn't have people looking at me as a weirdo, I would always carry a fixed blade -- I suppose I shouldn't
care what people think, but at some level it is part of being a reasonable member of society.
sherbert4537

Post by sherbert4537 »

I already have a couple of natives. Probably my favorite size and model for EDC. This is, of course, another excuse to pick up a new & different knife. I too like smaller fixed knives in the 3 - 1/2" to 4 -1/2" range and wish it made sense to carry them more regularly. Unfortunately Hunting, hiking, and yardwork are the only times It feels normal to pull this off. I'm not going to the hardware store with a knife on my belt for obvious reasons. I appear to have myself in a three way impasse. The feedback so far has been helpful though. I'll look into those other Spyderco fixed models you mentioned.