12 reasons why the Delica is better than the Native

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Re: 12 reasons why the Delica is better than the Native

Post by cycleguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:44 am

Right, and for me, the Delica and Endura (and likely the Endela when I get around to grabbing one) are my go to for EDC almost every day. When I want to grab a more work oriented knife I will go fixed blade (mora and the like) or a larger folder like a Shaman, Manix XL, or maybe a Millie. So the Native doesn't really fill a need in my lineup these days. Like I said above though, I have nothing really against it, and I would buy it again, but only if it is an exclusive in some kind of "grail" combo like Cru-carta or Cru-ple.
My sentimints exactly but my bigger folder is a Manix LW. Here are the two Natives I keep:

CG
Attachments
Natives.jpg
So many knives - so little funds!!!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Is the extra belly noticable on the native vs the delica? What tasks does that extra belly help with?
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

Delica for me...no question. I can appreciate the Native but it's just too thick of a blade stock and behind the edge and the cutting edge is just too short.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica with the longer handle fits my big mitt much better. The Native wants to roll a bit in use. It is too tall from back strap to the underside of the grip or something. If I close my hand tightly, it feels odd, and the cutting edge on my N5 LW is shorter than any of my Delicas. For me, the Delica is a better fit.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kobold

Post by kobold »

Heh, I just bought my third Native 5 yesterday. I don't have a Delca, but I have a Tasman Salt 2 SE and subjectively, the handle ergos are better on the Native. Another thing that bugs me with the Tasman, is that it always cuts me when closing it one handed. The Natives will contact my finger with the choil, or stop at ~90 degrees, but the blade on the Tasman keeps going. I can only hope that for some unknown reason the Delicas are better.

Also, I prefer thicker handles, they fill my hands, giving a more confident grip.
Aesthetics, F&F: Seki City knives in general are not pleasing to me. Not even the Stretch made it into my pocket.

Lastly, I like the Native over the Delica for it's extreme ease of disassembly and maintenance.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10