12 reasons why the Delica is better than the Native

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: 12 reasons why the Delica is better than the Native

Post by TomAiello »

I prefer the native for it's lock, the fact that it's available in both FRN and G10, especially for the 50/50 choil, and most especially for MAXAMET.
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Got my first Delica on the way, now I'm curious about it. And it's my first Cruwear :cool:
Sam098

Blade centering

Post by Sam098 »

Hey guys! lol sorry if this is off topic since i dont know how to create a new post since its kind of confusing on how to do so but i have a quick question, does this manix 2 look off centered to you guys? and if so do you guys think it is worth adjusting? thanks!
Attachments
6E95BA37-4D1F-48B1-AFEF-9F6F55C3856F.jpeg
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

mb1 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:28 am
The Native LW “FRN”...eh, it might as well be called FRCP.

I'm still not convinced the "FRN" of the Native isn't actually the same as the "FRCP" on the Manix LW. It looks and feels identical to the Manix LW FRCP, and feels nothing like the Seki FRN or even the Chap LW FRN. The FRN on the Seki stuff is far and away my favorite of any. I will say I haven't tried the Chinese FRN yet though so I am interested to compare the Tenacious LW to the rest.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I find the ergos on the Native to be roughly a million times better than the Delica. I prefer a thinner blade, but the thicker stock on the Native has its place. Neither is better, just different design choices for different intended uses. I don't see these two knives as direct competitors. Delica is more EDC focused that can be pushed into the role of a work knife, vice versa for the Native. Both have their place
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I wish I could weigh in on this, but I've never had a Native, never even held one in my hand. I don't know why, I've been meaning to try one. The "Delica" versions I have now are all Salt 1s, and I really like them a lot.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:50 pm
I find the ergos on the Native to be roughly a million times better than the Delica. I prefer a thinner blade, but the thicker stock on the Native has its place. Neither is better, just different design choices for different intended uses. I don't see these two knives as direct competitors. Delica is more EDC focused that can be pushed into the role of a work knife, vice versa for the Native. Both have their place
I think I can fully agree with what this Brother is saying. And again I will use the term "preference" instead of casting a flat out disagreement. And he's right it's not a case of one actually being better than the other>> in so many ways they're not even comparable.
And the Ergonomics of the NATIVE make it ideal for jobs that are normally brutal to many other folders in Spyderco's main line up. I can get a lot better grip/purchase with a NATIVE model either in FRN or G-10 than I ever could with any of the Delica models.
To me the Delica is more suited to be a "gentlemen's" knife rather than a "workhorse" type of folder which I firmly believe that the NATIVE model was designed to be.
Bottom line: They are just two great knives with two completely different objectives.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:50 pm
I find the ergos on the Native to be roughly a million times better than the Delica.
Me too. But that' s specific to me and my hands.

The Chaparral is the thin slicer with the native-style ergonomics, and in my uses the Chap LW is a better EDC than either the Native or the Delica. But that's just for me, my hand, my uses and my carry.

All good. Just different.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

This is just silly. They are quite different despite similar edge lengths. Horses for courses, or just follow your preference. No need to yuck other folks' yum. :rolleyes:

I like both. The Native is more comfortable for me with a better lock, overall build and premium feel (especially in G10 models).

I prefer the thinner stock of the Delica. There are great steels in both models.

I like the FFG SE Native and a FFG SE Delica would be great!

I prefer the feel of Seki FRN vs Golden LW models.

I do need to finally get a Chap. I have almost bought several times and will get one.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:23 pm
...All good. Just different.
Exactly!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I prefer the Delica, but the Native is a good design too.
Would love an all black Salt Native.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:29 pm
This is just silly. They are quite different despite similar edge lengths. Horses for courses, or just follow your preference. No need to yuck other folks' yum. :rolleyes:

I like both. The Native is more comfortable for me with a better lock, overall build and premium feel (especially in G10 models).

I prefer the thinner stock of the Delica. There are great steels in both models.

I do need to finally get a Chap. I have almost bought several times and will get one.
You do! :)

Actually the Chap FRN is the reason why I don´t have a Native LW anymore. Though - as said - i prefer the Delica over the Native, I liked the latter a lot. But then - for me - the Chap did about everything a bit better than the Native (and has almost the same edge length). The Chap even is, if not more comfortable, certainly more stable in my hand than the Native in real use, when not just holding the knives or just doing very light tasks (and the Delica is either)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

There’s no one size fits all and fortunately Spyderco has 12 choices for small folders with blade lengths of 2.75”-3.00”:

1. Para3
  2. Delica4
  3. Native5
  4. Chaparral
  5. Sage
  6. Salt2
  7. Efficient
  8. Persistence
  9. Alcyone
  10. SpyOpera
  11. UKPK
  12. Brouwer
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:44 pm
Enactive wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:29 pm

You do! :)

Actually the Chap FRN is the reason why I don´t have a Native LW anymore. Though - as said - i prefer the Delica over the Native, I liked the latter a lot. But then - for me - the Chap did about everything a bit better than the Native (and has almost the same edge length). The Chap even is, if not more comfortable, certainly more stable in my hand than the Native in real use, when not just holding the knives or just doing very light tasks (and the Delica is either)
I’ve had one for a while and it never got a fair shakedown. I just pulled the clip off and I’m going to carry it this week... clip-less at that! :eek:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

The biggest thing to me on the native is the small hole that is hard to get your thumb into.

I think the sage is much better in this regard.

I do like the no hump for hard work.

The sage is a lower hump it was a good compromise because it's much easier to open.

I have one native and at least 6 delicas.

if the sage was an FRN lock back I would probably have four or five of those
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

Will also add Delica has a trainer and for that it's also good for practice with the Salt 2 should you need in H1 environment.

As I choke up on blades frequently for fine work, I have found myself almost making a mistake in going for a finger choil that is not there on the Delica/Salt 2 if I had been carrying the Native or Dragonfly 2 - only these two knives. Don't make that same mistake after carrying a PM2 or Manix 2 (or a small G. Sakai fixed with a finger choil).

That said, Native and DF2 are great designs but feel I almost have to stay committed to them due to getting used to the finger choil if that makes sense. For that reason been sticking with a Salt 2 and Ladybug edc.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Christian Noble wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:36 pm
Will also add Delica has a trainer and for that it's also good for practice with the Salt 2 should you need in H1 environment.

As I choke up on blades frequently for fine work, I have found myself almost making a mistake in going for a finger choil that is not there on the Delica/Salt 2 if I had been carrying the Native or Dragonfly 2 - only these two knives. Don't make that same mistake after carrying a PM2 or Manix 2 (or a small G. Sakai fixed with a finger choil).

That said, Native and DF2 are great designs but feel I almost have to stay committed to them due to getting used to the finger choil if that makes sense. For that reason been sticking with a Salt 2 and Ladybug edc.

With all due respect: Why would it be a mistake to choke up on a Delica in the place where other models have a choil?!? The Delica Ricasso is perfect for that, choked up on the Ricasso is probably my most used grip even in hard use and feels more stable and gives me more control than most (not all) choils.

And, as I've said repeatedly: Even choking up on the actual cutting edge of a knife is no problem if done right, I do that quite often and it has been done for centuries, not only on knives but also on swords. Just pressing the finger on an edge won't cut you if there is no back and force motion.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:52 pm
...Just pressing the finger on an edge won't cut you if there is no back and force motion.
You and I have 2 different definitions of the word sharp :D
Last edited by prndltech on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:55 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:52 pm
...Just pressing the finger on an edge won't cut you if there is no back and force motion.
You and I have 2 different definitions of the word sharp :D

I don't think so, my friend. It really is no problem to choke up on the very edge of a knife, even if its really sharp (easily shaving, or let's say at least a sharp Spyderco factory edge).

I won't encourage anyone to do so, but I and as I know not too few experienced knife users do that quite often.
Its just physics.
An edge is NOT a laser cutter beam.
As said, in medieval times they grabbed sharp swords (at least paper cutting sharp) with bare hands on the cutting edge and smashed an opponent with the hilt or crossguard. A lot of centrifugal forces there, which are not present when just doing so with a foldee
Tucson Tom

Re: Blade centering

Post by Tucson Tom »

Sam098 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:25 pm
Hey guys! lol sorry if this is off topic since i dont know how to create a new post since its kind of confusing on how to do so but i have a quick question, does this manix 2 look off centered to you guys? and if so do you guys think it is worth adjusting? thanks!
Does it look off center to you? If it ain't rubbing, let it be. And it ain't hard to launch a new thread. Button up top left marked "new topic".