Shaman or Caribbean

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

s30v Shaman (DLC) or Caribbean

s30v Shaman (DLC)
24%
Caribbean Leaf
76%

Total votes: 37

M Sea

Shaman or Caribbean

Post by M Sea »

First time to attempt putting up a poll so hope I don’t screw it up but I need some input. I have waaaaay overspent my knife budget this year :D but want to pick up either a Shaman, DLC coated s30v or a Caribbean Leaf before the year is up.

Its going to be a work knife and I opted for the non serrated blade only because I also have an Autonomy that is serrated. Saltwater is a major factor as whichever knife I get will be around it daily.

Main uses would be tasks related to boat and marina repairs and some light duty trail related maintenance.

As always thank you for your insight.
vivi

Re: Shaman or Caribbean

Post by vivi »

Caribbean seems like a no brainer considering your line of work. I'd go with that.
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Any answer that isn't the Caribbean, is wrong.
Fight me! :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Voted Shaman initially because I prefer the ergos on it, but upon reading that it'll be used around salt water all day, the Caribbean is absolutely the right choice.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I agree with Vivi. The Shaman is awesome, but the salt line just seems meant for you. Plus you like your Autonomy which has a similar design and no finger choil. If the Shaman came in lc200n - or even m390 - it'd be a tougher choice, though. I bet we'll see a Shaman sprint in m390 at some point, and if I was you I'd hold out for that before getting a Shaman for your job.
Last edited by JuPaul on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Wow, cool. Thank you guys for all the quick votes. I was thinking Caribbean also but have heard so many great things about the Shaman it was definitely one I wanted also. Eventually I will have them both but for this year, can only afford one more. So will start shopping for the best price on a Caribbean. :)
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I'm curious if you've used your Maxamet Manix at work?
•• Beau
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Around saltwater daily...
Caribbean.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:07 am
I have but am a little concerned with so much debris/saltwater and especially sand getting into that open space by the lock.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

M Sea wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:14 am
Buddafucco wrote:
I have but am a little concerned with so much debris/saltwater and especially sand getting into that open space by the lock.
maxamet is pretty far from stainless, too.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:21 pm
M Sea wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:14 am
Buddafucco wrote:
maxamet is pretty far from stainless, too.
Yes, love it as an edc. But as a work knife in this environment its not the best choice.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Caribbean. Leaf. Serrated.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Caribbean was made for folks like you! ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:12 pm
Thank you, I have the Autonomy that I absolutely love so am leaning towards the Caribbean leaf blade, non serrated. And I know I preach BUT the Salt Dragonfly SE is always with me. Its just a beast.💪
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

M Sea wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:30 pm
prndltech wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:12 pm
Thank you, I have the Autonomy that I absolutely love so am leaning towards the Caribbean leaf blade, non serrated. And I know I preach BUT the Salt Dragonfly SE is always with me. Its just a beast.💪
What’s better than one serrated blade? 2 serrated blades. And a bigger one at that!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:19 pm
The Caribbean was made for folks like you! ;)
Man, it really does feel that way. I am kind of like, “why now, all of a sudden?” Because the Autonomy SE is awesome as in THOR 💪⚡️⚡️⚡️ at cutting braided/floated nylon lobster/stone crab and even dock lines off props/gear-housings. But the auto feature that I Love, freaks out the tourists on the boats and when I give tours if it comes out. I am a huuuuuuuuge compression lock guy so its just a no -brainer. Sorry for the vent. I live alone :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Caribbean, but I'd get the sheepsfoot and modify it. I really haven't found it to be any less versatile than the leaf and I prefer the lower blade tip.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:45 pm
Caribbean, but I'd get the sheepsfoot and modify it. I really haven't found it to be any less versatile than the leaf and I prefer the lower blade tip.

I really like what you've done here. Not only is it more visually and aesthetically pleasing, but for my uses more versatile over a broader spectrum of applications than a pure sheepsfoot or rescue type of blade shape. I think Spyderco is beginning to give even more recognition to the popularity of Wharnies as evidenced by the recent release of the Rock Jumper with its improved edge length and the 4 Byrd Wharnies currently in development. Truth be told, I actually prefer the sleeker, more svelte shape of the spine on your Caribbean to most Spydie Wharnies. I likie a lot. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:35 pm
Evil D wrote:

I really like what you've done here. Not only is it more visually and aesthetically pleasing, but for my uses more versatile over a broader spectrum of applications than a pure sheepsfoot or rescue type of blade shape. I think Spyderco is beginning to give even more recognition to the popularity of Wharnies as evidenced by the recent release of the Rock Jumper with its improved edge length and the 4 Byrd Wharnies currently in development. Truth be told, I actually prefer the sleeker, more svelte shape of the spine on your Caribbean to most Spydie Wharnies. I likie a lot. :)

Thanks! I'm not crazy about the "hookless hawkbill" shape that the latest wharnies have even though I am super happy to see more of them being produced. I love wharnies but I would really be ok if all my knives started out as sheepsfoots so I can grind the spine down to my liking. In my weirdo perfect world, blades would just come as rectangular cleaver shaped blades with a full flat grind and an edge bevel, and then I could decide how the spine is shaped from there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Evil D wrote:

Thats awesome. Love the scales. I haven’t seen those before.