Collection Limiting Rules

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Menipo

Re: Collection Limiting Rules

Post by Menipo »

vivi wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:23 pm
Menipo wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:20 pm
I have 4 rules:

1) I don't buy a knife who is a duplicate of (or very similar to) another one that I already own. If the new one has a distinctive characteristic I am interested on, I will look for a different model which has it as well. For instance, I am interested on getting a LC200N but I will not buy the LC200N Salt 2 because I see it as a Endura 4 with swimsuit :D . I do not have a Police. I did not fall in love with the original ones with the steel handle (as they can get easily scratched - I carried for years a LadyBug with steel handle and know what I am talking about). I see the FRN LW Police 4 as a duplicate of-very similar to the Endura (an Endura on steroids -same handle and blade materials, similar blade shape-). But if a LC200N Police existed, I would buy it immediately as it would fill 2 gaps in my collection, specially if the handle is not FRN.
IMO the Police 4 is much more ergonomic than the Endura series. I find the extra blade length increases versatility. K390 is also a really special steel.

Regarding the Pacific Salt 2 VS Endura, besides the obvious difference of one being rust proof (which suits your preferences perfectly), you also lose nearly an ounce of weight, it has a larger opening hole, and the handle has better traction on the rear end. I own an Endura 4 and Pacific 2 and I'm going to let the Endura go, because for my uses the Pacific 2 is better across the board.

I'd give both another look if I were you. Between the Police LW and Pacific 2 I could stop buying folders.

Many thanks for your views, Vivi. They are, as always, really useful to me.

As regards the Police, I MUST have one in my collection. It is an iconic Spyderco (like the Millie) so sooner or later I will get one. I see the differences that you mentioned, but the size of the Police 4 is above the legal carry limit here. Owning that knife is legal but it cannot leave home as knives of 4.326" (or larger) can be possessed only for collection purposes. As a Police 4 will spend its life in the showcase, ergonomy and versatility are not so decisive when making my decisionl. On the contrary, corrosion resistance is a must and this puts K390 out of the list. I have a ATS-55 Civilian that I bought in 2001. I have never used it (the poor guy has spent his entire life in the showcase) but even in those extremely favourable maintenance conditions (and a quite dry environment here), after 19 years it has developed a patina. I want to pass my collection on to my grandchildren and I would like that in 50 years time they have knives discontinued decades ago but in pristine condition (as other knives, that I bought even before the Civilian, are -like the Millie that you know). Therefore, I will patiently wait till Sal & Eric decide to launch a LC200N Police 5 ;)

Pacific Sal vs. Endura. If I had not recently acquired the Endura Zome, I would go for the Pacific Salt 2 definitely. But (forgive my untrained eye), if I had both, I would feel that I have "duplicates" (besides the obvious handle colour and opening hole size differences). Here the second hand market for knives is almost non-existent, so it would be difficult for me to let the Endura go. That is why I said that a LC200N Police would fill two gaps (the gap of the icon and the gap of the LC200N steel).

Having said all that .... I will follow your advice and will give another look. Don't be surprised if at the end of the day I will buy the Pacific Salt 2 and one of my friends will be lucky enough to receive a Endura gift :)
Last edited by Menipo on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:38 am
I don't really consider my knife interest as a separate hobby per se, it's more like a side interest that elevates my primary interests, who are mostly in the outdoor domain. So, just like vivi mentions, I have to keep it kind of real and make sure that the time and money spent on knives actually serves to elevate those hobbies, and not restrict them. So that's what's limiting my collection for the most part. No fixed rules, just some general rules of thumb, my own conscience and priorities.
Quoting my own post feels a little weird, but I just wanted to highlight the time factor that seems to not get mentioned a lot. Might be because some of it gos without saying, but it's worth a mention.

There's an old saying that time is money. That's not always true, but it is often the case that excessive time spent reading forums and reviews, as well as tracking dealers and auction sites for drops and good deals, could have returned a better "profit" if spent elsewhere. At least a more predictable profit.

Realizing this has affected my buying habits in two distinct ways
- If in doubt, I rather just buy the knife in question and find out for myself, rather than spending endless hours researching. This approach often "pays off" even though knifes are a pain to get hold of around here, expensive as ..yeah and the secondary market is next to non-existent.

- chasing limited editions, sprint runs, flash runs and all of that seems to demand an investment in online presence, that I quite frankly can't afford. If I snag one by chance, it's a no brainer, because they are usually easier to move along, hence less of a risk. But I only do it for models where I genuinely already consider the production version.

I'm in a good position, I have a job where I can put in as many hours as I practically want to, I have my own property where I can invest endless hours in maintenance and improvements, and I have kids which can obviously give an incredible return for the time spent with them.
The flip side of all this goodness, is of course that there will be en opportunity cost that needs to be considered for anything else I want to invest a non-trivial amount of time and/or money in.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:44 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:15 pm
Well, I've always had a loose one-in-one-out rule, but that doesn't account for the actual value/cost of each knife, so lately I've basically been using paypal as my knife fund. Money from selling any knives stays there and funds new purchases. Anything beyond my "knife fund" obviously has to fit into the budget for the month, or something else has to go to fund it. I've got a core collection that I'd hate to ever part with, but the rest is revolving which allows me to try lots of models and steels, and helps me to let go of things as my tastes and preferences (or whims) change. It also keeps the hobby fresh and fun for me.

I actually was hoping you´d reply here, since you´re one of the very frequent posters on this forum and so it is clear to see that you seem to purchase quite many knives...I began to wonder if you keep them all, and if, how many that must be already and how you´d fund that amount, cause I´ve never read anything about you also selling knives... but now I know you do. :)...
Oh I'd have 100s of knives if I never sold anything. I got into this hobby long before I really embraced Spyderco, and I had a collection then as well. Now my folders are all Spyderco with only three exceptions.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:15 pm
Well, I've always had a loose one-in-one-out rule, but that doesn't account for the actual value/cost of each knife, so lately I've basically been using paypal as my knife fund. Money from selling any knives stays there and funds new purchases. Anything beyond my "knife fund" obviously has to fit into the budget for the month, or something else has to go to fund it. I've got a core collection that I'd hate to ever part with, but the rest is revolving which allows me to try lots of models and steels, and helps me to let go of things as my tastes and preferences (or whims) change. It also keeps the hobby fresh and fun for me.

I don't really have any "rules" about my knife collecting, but I do more or less as you describe here. I get a small monthly cash bonus at work, which my wife and I split 50/50 for spending money. I either use that, or PayPal money gained from selling off a knife or two.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:41 am
[...]

The flip side of all this goodness, is of course that there will be en opportunity cost that needs to be considered for anything else I want to invest a non-trivial amount of time and/or money in.
You are rigth, aicolainen. I have a 5th rule: never forget that collecting knives is (for me) only a hobby. So it would never take time from activities that are not.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Thinking about this some more. One thing I always aim to avoid is the "gotta get 'em all" mindset. So aiming to get every possible PM2 variant or some such is one thing I avoid like the plague. It seems as mindless as voting an all one party ticket. I aim to evaluate each candidate on its own merits (talking about knives now) versus, "oh, another Para 3, gotta get it to keep my set complete. I avoid this in other hobbies. Trying to climb all the 14'ers or to put a check mark on every bird in my guidebook and that sort of thing -- it makes any endeavor degenerate into what I consider a mindless pursuit. But that is just my view.

Right alongside of this is avoiding letting "fear of missing out" drive a knife purchase. I try to embrace missing out, but sometimes I do get carried away. There have been a couple of knives that I absolutely did not want to miss out on (and I didn't).

And here is a last rule. Never buy a knife on the secondary market, at least not at a marked up price.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have a good number but I'm not really a collector. My guideline is to buy folding knives that I have a use for and that I will use.

For the most part I have about 3 different categories of use so at the minimum that gets me 3 knives. Or there are a few different models that work well for each category so that gets me closer to 9 knives. And then I have a few that for whatever reason I would keep and not sell even though they might be considered surplus. I don't typically buy new knives because they are a different color, but I will buy a new steel if I think it is an improvement over one that I have. For instance my latest "work" knife has Rex45 which I think is a little better than my older knife with M4.

When I was going to my office every day I rotated through 8 or so of my EDC knives, that way they all got some use. Working from home during this pandemic I tend to carry one of my work knives and my EDC knives aren't getting so much use. I have a couple of my EDC knives that I will probably consider selling.

If anybody is curious- here are my categories:
EDC knife- mostly PM2s but a few Manix2s.
Work knive- Manix2 in M4 or Rex45, Bradley1 in M4
Bigger knife (when I feel the urge to carry a bigger knife)- Manix2 XL in M4, Military in M4
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:11 pm

And here is a last rule. Never buy a knife on the secondary market, at least not at a marked up price.

Ah, great rule! And one I neglected to mention but also follow. There are a handful I'd like to get but I have to just let go because I'm not paying marked up prices.

Luckily I'm pretty good at getting drops and the Knife Joker Shaman and recent REC PM2 are the only ones I've ever not been able to get on the drop out of probably 30-40 drops I've participated in at this point. Neither I really care too much about, although I'm on the list to get a PM2 on the next drop since REC oversold my order, but this would break my rule of more than one of a Golden model since I have the Cru-ple PM2. :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

I don't have any set rules but I try to diversify my collection. No duplicate models or steels. 3 compression locks, 1 frame lock, 1 CBBL. 3 Golden 2 Taichung models.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Rules are like budgets to me. I’m good at setting them but I’m even better at breaking them! So they don’t work for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bamalt1 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:19 pm
I don't have any set rules but I try to diversify my collection. No duplicate models or steels. 3 compression locks, 1 frame lock, 1 CBBL. 3 Golden 2 Taichung models.
No lockback? :eek:
You´re missing something ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

Yeah I need a Seki lockback next. Considering a Dragonfly Salt or maybe a HAP40 Delica.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Delicas,
PM2s,
Stretches,
Chaparrals,
Sage 5s,
Fixed Blades,

Some wiggle room allowed,

If the pile gets too big, adjust as needed.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

Rule 1: Tools, not rules ("more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules")

Rule 2: It's gotta get used
Rule 2a: To get proper rotation and use, there is a natural upper limit to size of collection

Rule 3: It's gotta bring enjoyment
Rule 3a: Enjoyment includes - hand feel, aesthetics, action, F&F, value per dollar, and, most importantly, fun

Rule 4: In spite of meeting Rule 2 and 3, I may just get sick of it and get rid of a knife.

Rule 5: I try to avoid too much duplication with steel types, models, handle material.

Rule 6: Don't feel obligation to own any knife - there are no "Must-haves".

Rule 7: It might take me a few tries to get it "right" - I may own, use, enjoy, sell one from the collection, then have a pang of regret, re-purchase it, then decide for real the second time if it's a keeper or not. And that's ok.

Rule 8: Nothing lasts forever. No matter how much I like a knife now, or how permanent I think it is in the collection, it will either a) wear/break/get lost, or b) be supplanted by something newer, more suitable, shinier, etc.. And that's ok too.

Rule 9: Nothing is perfect. Every knife in the collection has a quibble with it - and that keeps it real for me. If a knife is too perfect (looking at you, Ti-fluted Military), it freaks me out and I can't handle it.

Rule 10: They are just knives - don't get too precious about them.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Maximumsmoochy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:36 am
Rule 1: Tools, not rules ("more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules")

Rule 2: It's gotta get used
Rule 2a: To get proper rotation and use, there is a natural upper limit to size of collection

Rule 3: It's gotta bring enjoyment
Rule 3a: Enjoyment includes - hand feel, aesthetics, action, F&F, value per dollar, and, most importantly, fun

Rule 4: In spite of meeting Rule 2 and 3, I may just get sick of it and get rid of a knife.

Rule 5: I try to avoid too much duplication with steel types, models, handle material.

Rule 6: Don't feel obligation to own any knife - there are no "Must-haves".

Rule 7: It might take me a few tries to get it "right" - I may own, use, enjoy, sell one from the collection, then have a pang of regret, re-purchase it, then decide for real the second time if it's a keeper or not. And that's ok.

Rule 8: Nothing lasts forever. No matter how much I like a knife now, or how permanent I think it is in the collection, it will either a) wear/break/get lost, or b) be supplanted by something newer, more suitable, shinier, etc.. And that's ok too.

Rule 9: Nothing is perfect. Every knife in the collection has a quibble with it - and that keeps it real for me. If a knife is too perfect (looking at you, Ti-fluted Military), it freaks me out and I can't handle it.

Rule 10: They are just knives - don't get too precious about them.

Perhaps the best post here so far!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:48 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:11 pm

Ah, great rule! And one I neglected to mention but also follow. There are a handful I'd like to get but I have to just let go because I'm not paying marked up prices.

Luckily I'm pretty good at getting drops and the Knife Joker Shaman and recent REC PM2 are the only ones I've ever not been able to get on the drop out of probably 30-40 drops I've participated in at this point. Neither I really care too much about, although I'm on the list to get a PM2 on the next drop since REC oversold my order, but this would break my rule of more than one of a Golden model since I have the Cru-ple PM2. :confused:

I keep thinking of things the longer this thread goes on, but one that kind of goes hand in hand with this for the most part, is that I don't buy knives that weren't available prior the purchase of my first Spyderco. There are a lot of older models I like, but that would just be crazy to try to buy all of the old ones I like, especially when most command a premium now. I prefer to shill loudly for new sprints and exclusives of old models (like the Jester and Dodo and Catcherman and Spyderhawk) so I can buy them at retail in updated steels and handle colors/materials. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

My rules are buy what I like and want, and no fakes.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Very simple; i store my folders clipped to an old leather waist belt. When there is no more space left for the new arrivals, it's time to cull the herd. :-)

I am observing my ever changing needs and my wants and keep selling my old, unloved knives, prioritizing quality.

But I have duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Sometimes it's a need, (a fixed blade beater in the workshop, in the garden shed, in the house, in the backpack).

Sometimes it's a want. Do i want chaparrals with all kinds of scales to rhyme with my watch collection? Yep. Or 10 Opinels for camping trips, so i am not upset when i loose them..
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10