Collection Limiting Rules

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Collection Limiting Rules

Post by Evil D »

I try to not have too many knives that can all serve the same purpose, but over time it seems like the most common of my rules that I break. Many of my knives are sort of like stepping stones that I've taken on a path to finding the model that I really like that fits me the best so there's more redundancy than I'd like. Lately though I've found that I want a knife that can do everything I need a knife for, so when I look at new purchases they need to have something that my previous purchase didn't have.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

The only real hard rule I have is everything gets used or carried. If I find myself not carrying, out it goes. No knives with no purpose.

Other rules that are a bit more flexible are only one knife of any given color, and one knife per steel. These are general guidelines though, as there is only so many combinations and certain models are only available in one steel. Currently only breaking the steel rule with 2 in LC200N. And I'm only keeping one because me and my girlfriend have matching native salts :D otherwise the Siren would have kicked it out.

...Soon that SE LC200N pac salt is gonna break that rule again lol.
eddiebob

Post by eddiebob »

My #1 rule is to be sure I am home to intercept any kind of knife package. I got real lucky about 15 years ago and started collecting production and custom autos from a maker I liked. Probably have 150 locked up. When he retired the price of his knives tripled and quadrupled (even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then). The Spyderco knives for me are users so I buy the ones I want and use them. The Delica is my workhorse so multiple copies of cool steels is okay. By now my wife, children, and friends have Spydercos.
Rule #2 is use and enjoy.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I try to avoid rules - but realized I have an odd/irrational one I follow.

A few years back, the BM 940-1 came out. At that time, I thought it was the perfect knife for a bunch of reasons (steel, design, scale material, clip). I haven't carried one in more than a few years, but that knife came in at $270 retail. Since then, I cannot pay more than $270 total for any knife. I like to change clips and scales on my knives - but if the total cost of knife + upgrades is over $270, I balk. I realize this is completely arbitrary, but I can't get past it. It probably has saved me some money though.
acer

Post by acer »

It’s got to be a folder , offer that something special , different, and hopefully will be sort after in years to come by collectors and be under 25 pounds , just kidding , if it’s worth it I may buy it but if it’s a lot I will limit future phurchases for that year. Ps The camper van by the river , idea sounds great. New Age traveller Acer out.
jacala

Post by jacala »

I only buy the ones I like :-)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I got rid of all my backups. I will no longer own two identical knives. Other than that I buy whatever I want when money allows. I already have a small truckload of knives so I have become more selective but there really isn’t much logic to it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Rule no. 1: Just because you'd like a knife for Christmas, doesn't mean everyone else wants one
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

everything is usability. If something doesn't get active use, then it gets sold off. I've gotten all the way to the end of customizing projects before realizing it would never get used, at which point I got rid of em.

My folding collection tends to hover around three edc knives, one "for fun" knife, a fancy boy, and a work knife. I usually have two or three fixies around as well. I spend more on upkeep and upgrades for my current rotation then I do on new pieces.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
carrot

Post by carrot »

I don't have any rules at all!

I like to wait on user reviews before I buy a new model, but I snatched up the Kapara and Bombshell the second they came out.

Technically, I have a rule for no non-Spydercos, but I break that occasionally. Mostly those are full of regrets.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Rulez? There are no hard and fast Rulez!

- As Doug Marcaida says, "Will it kill?" Is is a solid self defense knife?
- I need duplicates for carry so that no matter where the knife comes out of the handling of the knife under duress will be the same. I have a few duplicates.
- 80+ knives at the cost of $20,000US, and my limit is by budget alone. Sure, I could probably sell 10 or 15 of them, but I have already given several good knives away to my brother. The truth is, if I sold any, it would be to buy more.

As far as were the knives are going after I am deceased, I've considered giving them away to the USMC.
Last edited by Naperville on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

I have 4 rules:

1) I don't buy a knife who is a duplicate of (or very similar to) another one that I already own. If the new one has a distinctive characteristic I am interested on, I will look for a different model which has it as well. For instance, I am interested on getting a LC200N but I will not buy the LC200N Salt 2 because I see it as a Endura 4 with swimsuit :D . I do not have a Police. I did not fall in love with the original ones with the steel handle (as they can get easily scratched - I carried for years a LadyBug with steel handle and know what I am talking about). I see the FRN LW Police 4 as a duplicate of-very similar to the Endura (an Endura on steroids -same handle and blade materials, similar blade shape-). But if a LC200N Police existed, I would buy it immediately as it would fill 2 gaps in my collection, specially if the handle is not FRN.

2) I don't buy "shrunked heads" (big handles with small blades). The blade/handle ratio of the Endura or the Millie is perfect. That of the Para2 is on the verge and the Para3 is clearly (for my standards) off limits.

3) I don't buy steels which require special maintenance (unless they offer something phenomenal in exchange). For instance, the "more inclined to rust" a steel is, the less interested on it I am (I don't want to carry the knife in one pocket and a dishcloth in the other to wipe the blade every time I cut an apple) :rolleyes:

4) I don't buy knives which don't catch my eye (I could count the Spydies of this cathegory on the fingers of one hand -now I can only think of the SpydieChef).
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I don’t buy duplicates until a knife is worn out, lost, stolen, or given away.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Menipo wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:20 pm
I have 4 rules:

1) I don't buy a knife who is a duplicate of (or very similar to) another one that I already own. If the new one has a distinctive characteristic I am interested on, I will look for a different model which has it as well. For instance, I am interested on getting a LC200N but I will not buy the LC200N Salt 2 because I see it as a Endura 4 with swimsuit :D . I do not have a Police. I did not fall in love with the original ones with the steel handle (as they can get easily scratched - I carried for years a LadyBug with steel handle and know what I am talking about). I see the FRN LW Police 4 as a duplicate of-very similar to the Endura (an Endura on steroids -same handle and blade materials, similar blade shape-). But if a LC200N Police existed, I would buy it immediately as it would fill 2 gaps in my collection, specially if the handle is not FRN.

2) I don't buy "shrunked heads" (big handles with small blades). The blade/handle ratio of the Endura or the Millie is perfect. That of the Para2 is on the verge and the Para3 is clearly (for my standards) off limits.

3) I don't buy steels which require special maintenance (unless they offer something phenomenal in exchange). For instance, the "more inclined to rust" a steel is, the less interested on it I am (I don't want to carry the knife in one pocket and a dishcloth in the other to wipe the blade every time I cut an apple) :rolleyes:

4) I don't buy knives which don't catch my eye (I could count the Spydies of this cathegory on the fingers of one hand -now I can only think of the SpydieChef).
IMO the Police 4 is much more ergonomic than the Endura series. I find the extra blade length increases versatility. K390 is also a really special steel.

Regarding the Pacific Salt 2 VS Endura, besides the obvious difference of one being rust proof (which suits your preferences perfectly), you also lose nearly an ounce of weight, it has a larger opening hole, and the handle has better traction on the rear end. I own an Endura 4 and Pacific 2 and I'm going to let the Endura go, because for my uses the Pacific 2 is better across the board.

I'd give both another look if I were you. Between the Police LW and Pacific 2 I could stop buying folders.
:unicorn
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Well, I've always had a loose one-in-one-out rule, but that doesn't account for the actual value/cost of each knife, so lately I've basically been using paypal as my knife fund. Money from selling any knives stays there and funds new purchases. Anything beyond my "knife fund" obviously has to fit into the budget for the month, or something else has to go to fund it. I've got a core collection that I'd hate to ever part with, but the rest is revolving which allows me to try lots of models and steels, and helps me to let go of things as my tastes and preferences (or whims) change. It also keeps the hobby fresh and fun for me.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:15 pm
Well, I've always had a loose one-in-one-out rule, but that doesn't account for the actual value/cost of each knife, so lately I've basically been using paypal as my knife fund. Money from selling any knives stays there and funds new purchases. Anything beyond my "knife fund" obviously has to fit into the budget for the month, or something else has to go to fund it. I've got a core collection that I'd hate to ever part with, but the rest is revolving which allows me to try lots of models and steels, and helps me to let go of things as my tastes and preferences (or whims) change. It also keeps the hobby fresh and fun for me.

I actually was hoping you´d reply here, since you´re one of the very frequent posters on this forum and so it is clear to see that you seem to purchase quite many knives...I began to wonder if you keep them all, and if, how many that must be already and how you´d fund that amount, cause I´ve never read anything about you also selling knives... but now I know you do. :)...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PSquared wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:06 am
Rules spoil hobbies. If you can afford it and it isn’t going to cause domestic strife then buy it.

Common sense needs to be applied, not rules.

This CAN absolutely the case and I am normally not a guy for too many rules and requirements at all.

But I found that in my case specifically when it comes to folders (which means exclusively Spydercos for me) my "rule" of owning ten at max actually makes the hobby more interesting and complex in a positive way for me.

- It makes me focus much more on what features I really want, need and prefer in a folder, and teaches me a more honest and detailled "way of reflecting and thinking". I like that.
- It makes me love the folders I actually have even more and I found I enjoy them more as it would be the case if I had just a random very high number (partly of course, cause the rather "low" number of ten also lets me actually use all my Spydies rather frequently ("low number" for a knife guy, on the flip side all the people I know in my "real life" do think I must be crazy to own that MANY, that EXPENSIVE folders... :D )
- For me it is also a good thing that I have to let got things from time to time, and realize that in the end it is just that: "Things". Nothing one should get TOO attached to imho.

Does that mean that I´d stick compulsivley to the max number of ten in any case?
NO. If there´d ever come a point where I have ten Spydies of which for whatever reason I absolutely could not sell even one, and then there´d come out that eleventh model I´d 100% have to get and try, I´d certainly do so: Though I think not getting to obsessed with "things" is good, on the other hand I am not on this world to punish myself... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

That calculation might not work well as re-sale price will be lower than original purchase price.
But its a hobby and as long as all bills are paid - enjoy l(kn)ife. :)

I buy users that I will EDC - Para 3 and Dfly
Special knives - Wolfspyder or McBee
Special steels - LC200N Waterway
Special things to evolve and learn- Gauntlet
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Like most appear to, I have a “decision process” rather than rules.

This boils down to whether the candidate can do something better than an incumbent, or whether I like it enough not to care.*

Then I can justify knives as diverse as the Endura wharncliffe SE and the Euroedge!

*Police 4 Salt will tick both boxes btw.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

For me it's if I can't fit them in my collection storage cabinet anymore, then some have to go.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram