I tried so hard...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Flizwit

Re: I tried so hard...

Post by Flizwit »

Lil’ Nilakka if you can find one second hand. Lightweight, small, and a liner lock, I loved mine! He also said he doesn’t like thick G10, but maybe an exception since it’s smooth?
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

How about a Salsa? It has a comp lock and is small. You can still get them like new on the used market.

A knife I adore is the Cat and I don’t care for liner locks. BD1N is good steel and this is a solid design.

Once he’s assimilated you will have no more issues.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:06 pm
Albatross wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:51 pm
AHarbuck wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:32 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Nope sorry. Gotta throw the whole husband out and get a new one. He's defective.

I’ve been married long enough to recognize that he just needs some CQI. :p
Maybe Julia could send him to Golden for repairs, and Sal could send him back with a good knife.
Hmm...do you think the usual $5 would cover his return shipping?
I'm not sure. My wife refused to be shipped, so we may never know. :eek: :D
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:59 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 am
Albatross wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:17 am
What about the Alcyone? It's a 2.9" blade, with a linerlock. The Ambitious has a 2.2" blade, also with a linerlock.

I thought of the Ambitious too already... but I am afraid both this and the Alcyone are not light enough for him, since the Lil Native comp. lock is not either... sounds like what he'd want is something like a DFly or Chap FRN, but with liner, comp. or CBB- lock...

Maybe even a fictional comp. lock Native LW or comp.lock Delica, since both have a slightly smaller footprint than the Para 3 LW (which is "too large" for him) and are a tad lighter?

Again, tough one...
Yes. Something in that under 2-2.5 oz range seems to be the size he wants. Something for around the house in basketball shorts that won't flop around in his pocket. A chap, a dfly, or a lil native with frn AND a comp lock would be perfect.

The Lil'Native might do the trick even though it's not frn. Possibly the Rhino if he likes the trailing point blade.
Carrying IWB I can carry up to about a 5.5oz knife in basketball shorts before it feels cumbersome. Something to consider.
I agree. I wear basketball ball shorts everyday and IWB is the way to go. Makes pretty much all knives disappear. I regularly carry 2 knives IWB and forget they're there until I need them.
-Turbo
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:35 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:59 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 am

I thought of the Ambitious too already... but I am afraid both this and the Alcyone are not light enough for him, since the Lil Native comp. lock is not either... sounds like what he'd want is something like a DFly or Chap FRN, but with liner, comp. or CBB- lock...

Maybe even a fictional comp. lock Native LW or comp.lock Delica, since both have a slightly smaller footprint than the Para 3 LW (which is "too large" for him) and are a tad lighter?

Again, tough one...
Yes. Something in that under 2-2.5 oz range seems to be the size he wants. Something for around the house in basketball shorts that won't flop around in his pocket. A chap, a dfly, or a lil native with frn AND a comp lock would be perfect.

The Lil'Native might do the trick even though it's not frn. Possibly the Rhino if he likes the trailing point blade.
Carrying IWB I can carry up to about a 5.5oz knife in basketball shorts before it feels cumbersome. Something to consider.
I agree. I wear basketball ball shorts everyday and IWB is the way to go. Makes pretty much all knives disappear. I regularly carry 2 knives IWB and forget they're there until I need them.
I've started doing that myself in yoga pants, leggings, running shorts, etc. It really does open up a whole new world of options, but I'm only comfortable carrying a backlock or cbbl iwb. Still, plenty of my favorite models fit the bill - it's great. My husband has noticed me carrying that way, but doesn't seem interested. He's definitely the horse that can only be led to water, but I love him that way. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:23 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:54 am
I'm going to commit a sin here and recommend something outside the Spyderco lineup, that I recently acquired...a Civivi Elementum. Small, lightweight, snappy action with the flipper, plenty of options on BHQ and also under $70 so it's not a big hit if he doesn't care for it much.

I haven't cut anything with mine yet, but I've carried it a few Saturdays and fidgeted with it a bit. I think it's a great deal for $63
I've actually thought about one if those for myself! And I do think he'd like it, since he's already used to flippers. I committed the same sin last night..."it hurts me to say it, babe, but I think what you want is a mini bugout." :eek:
If I were to be as bold as tkok83spy I'd recommend the civivi McKenna which is one of two non-spydies I have and it is great. Light, fidgetable and decent quality.
/ David