I tried so hard...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: I tried so hard...

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:54 am
I'm going to commit a sin here and recommend something outside the Spyderco lineup, that I recently acquired...a Civivi Elementum. Small, lightweight, snappy action with the flipper, plenty of options on BHQ and also under $70 so it's not a big hit if he doesn't care for it much.

I haven't cut anything with mine yet, but I've carried it a few Saturdays and fidgeted with it a bit. I think it's a great deal for $63
I've actually thought about one if those for myself! And I do think he'd like it, since he's already used to flippers. I committed the same sin last night..."it hurts me to say it, babe, but I think what you want is a mini bugout." :eek:
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Mini Grip with the sheepsfoot blade that has the spydie-hole. Axis Lock and Spydie-hole win win for him.
Last edited by Dazen on Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Does sound like a Mini Bugout fits the bill better than any current Spyderco. I think it's a good choice, and may lead to better things. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

did he not like you astute after modeling it for us? 🤣
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
olywa

Post by olywa »

Take a look at the Cat or even smaller Chicago. Not FRN but still fairly light. These little liner locks snap open with a flick and now come with BD1N steel (make sure you get new stock).

I have xl hands and some of the smaller Spydies are getting a little challenging to one-hand as I get older and my hands get a little stiffer. I find myself gravitating to flippers w/liner locks more and more these days (think Kershaw Skyline). I abhor assisted knives but understand their appeal to some.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 am
I'm sorry I'm afraid there's only one solution here. Gotta divorce this guy and start over.
Sad but true. You had a good run.

Thanks Evil D, for the coffee in my sinuses.

Edit to add, a UKPK is a great smallish knife and light weight if a slip joint would work.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:41 am
Hahaha, right!! That was pretty funny, thought that might have been his gateway opportunity!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:

He actually kindly did this after I asked for it ;)... so I owe him and say: Though it's a serious matter we're discussing here, a divorce would be too soon at this point.. ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 am
Albatross wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:17 am
What about the Alcyone? It's a 2.9" blade, with a linerlock. The Ambitious has a 2.2" blade, also with a linerlock.

I thought of the Ambitious too already... but I am afraid both this and the Alcyone are not light enough for him, since the Lil Native comp. lock is not either... sounds like what he'd want is something like a DFly or Chap FRN, but with liner, comp. or CBB- lock...

Maybe even a fictional comp. lock Native LW or comp.lock Delica, since both have a slightly smaller footprint than the Para 3 LW (which is "too large" for him) and are a tad lighter?

Again, tough one...
Yes. Something in that under 2-2.5 oz range seems to be the size he wants. Something for around the house in basketball shorts that won't flop around in his pocket. A chap, a dfly, or a lil native with frn AND a comp lock would be perfect.

The Lil'Native might do the trick even though it's not frn. Possibly the Rhino if he likes the trailing point blade.
Carrying IWB I can carry up to about a 5.5oz knife in basketball shorts before it feels cumbersome. Something to consider.
:unicorn
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I’d love to see a Lil Native LW. I’m always in the market for new Spydies in FRN
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

How about an ARK?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

You can relay to him that I've learned from experience that the Spyderco wire clip is much friendlier on basketball shorts / gym shorts pockets than are spoon clips. He should try the Sage 5 LW, which is my personal gym shorts knife of choice. If he wants smaller, he should try the Dragonfly 2 LW and see if he can used to a mid back lock.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Pattadese?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

maybe just ask him to try out the hawkbill Dfly 2 for a week. not a commitment, just an experiment. He may very well find the utility of the blade overcomes his initial resistance to the lock mechanism.

aside from that, i'd say the ikuchi is your next best bet, especially if he's used to the fine tip of Ken Onion's kershaw collabs.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I see someone beat me to suggesting the Rhino. It's a great little knife. You might still be able to find Lil' Lums still in stock at a few places, too.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Albatross wrote:
Yes. Something in that under 2-2.5 oz range seems to be the size he wants. Something for around the house in basketball shorts that won't flop around in his pocket. A chap, a dfly, or a lil native with frn AND a comp lock would be perfect.

The Lil'Native might do the trick even though it's not frn. Possibly the Rhino if he likes the trailing point blade.

Well, what I am about to propose is really "knife-nerdish" ;) - but that´s ok on this forum, I guess:

In my experience: "Floppiness in the pocket (or NON-flopiness)" to a certain degree is a function of light weight AND large closed size: So, when two folders do have the exact same (light) weight, but one has a much larger footprint, the latter will "flop around less" in a pocket.

I know, the following comparison lags a lot (especially since folders are normally secured and attached with pocket clips), but just for illustration: If you put two balls each in one backpack, and both balls weigh let´s say 5 oz, but one is made out of a very heavy material (iron...) and has a diameter of just 0.5", the other of very light material (foam...) and has a diameter of lets say 10 ", the latter will be less "floppy" if you run with the backpack on your back

Honestly, in pockets of lightweight shorts the Manix 2 LW is one of the most "stable" and least "floppy" folders I know, cause it is so light for its big size... (and the Lil Native not so much)

Just my 2c of course ;)... And I know a Manix 2 LW is NOT exactly what he says he wants (though it features a CBBL, which you say he does like...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PStone

Post by PStone »

You said he already tried to find one in your collection. What did he not like about the WolfSpyder?

Edit to add: If you can find one, the Lil’ Nilakka is another option too
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ladybug93 wrote:
😂He actually really did like it, but he said with the full liners it was too heavy for this particular purpose.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

PStone wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:05 am
You said he already tried to find one in your collection. What did he not like about the WolfSpyder?

Edit to add: If you can find one, the Lil’ Nilakka is another option too
I actually didn't show him my Wolfspyder because I keep it at our cabin with a couple others. But I agree, that and the lil nilakka are great options.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:41 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Albatross wrote:

Well, what I am about to propose is really "knife-nerdish" ;) - but that´s ok on this forum, I guess:

In my experience: "Floppiness in the pocket (or NON-flopiness)" to a certain degree is a function of light weight AND large closed size: So, when two folders do have the exact same (light) weight, but one has a much larger footprint, the latter will "flop around less" in a pocket.

I know, the following comparison lags a lot (especially since folders are normally secured and attached with pocket clips), but just for illustration: If you put two balls each in one backpack, and both balls weigh let´s say 5 oz, but one is made out of a very heavy material (iron...) and has a diameter of just 0.5", the other of very light material (foam...) and has a diameter of lets say 10 ", the latter will be less "floppy" if you run with the backpack on your back

Honestly, in pockets of lightweight shorts the Manix 2 LW is one of the most "stable" and least "floppy" folders I know, cause it is so light for its big size... (and the Lil Native not so much)

Just my 2c of course ;)... And I know a Manix 2 LW is NOT exactly what he says he wants (though it features a CBBL, which you say he does like...)
I really wish I could just get him to join here and listen to you guys, because he won't listen to me on these points! ;) :D But hey, at least he's willing to upgrade his knife, and that's a start in the right direction.
- Julia