They're everywhere!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: They're everywhere!

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:47 pm

I have been quite impressed with REX45 for it's strength and wear resisitance. I do not have a great need for ultra wear resistance, but i do really like very strong and stable edges. ..........
As for corrosion resistance, i have been pleasantly surprised by both REX45 and K390 so far. I have carried the REX45 much more-- including in my front pocket for a ~20 mile/ ~5000 vertical ft. hike this past summer and daily for a month or more at work in late summer. I have not found any signs of corrosion yet. I do keep the knives dry and have wiped them down with mineral oil here and there.
As for grindability-- I haven't done any reprofiling, thinning nor repair. I have touched up the Native a couple of times on the brown/medium SM rods. I just touched up the Manix for the first time this morning. I have to say that REX45 touches up quite easily. I did buy some CBN rods for when i need to do more serious sharpening of harder steels, but i have not needed to use them yet.
Thanks for that post, very interesting and what you say is much what I found so far concerning my very new, but still quite a bit used Manix 2 LW in REX 45 (btw.: Isn´t this the perfect work knife for any situation where the quite short cutting edge is sufficient? For me it certainly is!)

I did not have to touch up my Manix so far, it still shaves with the factory edge (really impressive, given the work it has seen already). I´ll wait till it is noticeably duller, so I really get a feeling for how hard or easy the steel is to touch up.
- May I ask: What grind angle did the factory edge on your Manix have? Should you use a sharpmaker: Could you go with the 15 degree setting or would you have to reprofile a bit first in order to do so?

As for corrosion resistance of REX 45: I only oiled the pivot area (so also the part of the blade I can´t see or reach and can´t really maintain due to the pinned construction) but not the rest of the blade. I cut food with the Manix (fruits, meat) and did not always wipe off the blade immidiately (but a bit later) and carried the Manix in pocket when hiking in the rain: It starts so show a nice patina and some tiny specs. I like that!! :)
Both specs and patina are hard to see (just in a certain light) for now, the below pic vastly exaggerates what really is going on concerning the (actually very minor) corrosion
(posted that pic before already in another thread)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:27 pm
Enactive wrote:

I have been quite impressed with REX45 for it's strength and wear resisitance. I do not have a great need for ultra wear resistance, but i do really like very strong and stable edges. ..........
As for corrosion resistance, i have been pleasantly surprised by both REX45 and K390 so far. I have carried the REX45 much more-- including in my front pocket for a ~20 mile/ ~5000 vertical ft. hike this past summer and daily for a month or more at work in late summer. I have not found any signs of corrosion yet. I do keep the knives dry and have wiped them down with mineral oil here and there.
As for grindability-- I haven't done any reprofiling, thinning nor repair. I have touched up the Native a couple of times on the brown/medium SM rods. I just touched up the Manix for the first time this morning. I have to say that REX45 touches up quite easily. I did buy some CBN rods for when i need to do more serious sharpening of harder steels, but i have not needed to use them yet.
Thanks for that post, very interesting and what you say is much what I found so far concerning my very new, but still quite a bit used Manix 2 LW in REX 45 (btw.: Isn´t this the perfect work knife for any situation where the quite short cutting edge is sufficient? For me it certainly is!)

I did not have to touch up my Manix so far, it still shaves with the factory edge (really impressive, given the work it has seen already). I´ll wait till it is noticeably duller, so I really get a feeling for how hard or easy the steel is to touch up.
- May I ask: What grind angle did the factory edge on your Manix have? Should you use a sharpmaker: Could you go with the 15 degree setting or would you have to reprofile a bit first in order to do so?

As for corrosion resistance of REX 45: I only oiled the pivot area (so also the part of the blade I can´t see or reach and can´t really maintain due to the pinned construction) but not the rest of the blade. I cut food with the Manix (fruits, meat) and did not always wipe off the blade immidiately (but a bit later) and carried the Manix in pocket when hiking in the rain: It starts so show a nice patina and some tiny specs. I like that!! :)
Both specs and patina are hard to see (just in a certain light) for now, the below pic vastly exaggerates what really is going on concerning the (actually very minor) corrosion
(posted that pic before already in another thread)

Yes, all those touch ups were at 15 degrees per side (30 inclusive).

It looks like you have some minor pitting.

I have yet to use any of these knives on food. I do have some folders that get used on food more (especially the SpydieChef, Native Salts and Resilence) but these ones haven't been. I find that most of my corrosion on carbon steels/ tool steels comes from food acids. It seems my sweat is not very corrosive.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:27 pm
Enactive wrote:
Yes, all those touch ups were at 15 degrees per side (30 inclusive).

It looks like you have some minor pitting.

I have yet to use any of these knives on food. I do have some folders that get used on food more (especially the SpydieChef, Native Salts and Resilence) but these ones haven't been. I find that most of my corrosion on carbon steels/ tool steels comes from food acids. It seems my sweat is not very corrosive.
Thanks! So your Manix came with at least 15 degrees per side, if not even mire acute angle. I figure mine is like that too (the bevel goes rather high up the blade), but I´ll find out when I´ll finally have to sharpen it! :)

/ Yes some minor pitting (but in reality hardly to see, just in that pic): As said, I actually like that! :) It is just what tool steels are and makes the knife personal and special to me.
And: I normally almost can´t corrode knives, I think my sweat (and the climate I live in) are also not corrosive at all - so this Rex 45 Manix is even more unique to me.
I will go on oiling just the pivot area, but not the rest of the blade. Just wipe it off frequently after use (but that I do with all folders normally).