NEW: MGE Wholesale Teal Native5 Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: NEW: MGE Wholesale Teal Native5 Exclusive

Post by JuPaul »

mikey177 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:53 am
If anyone has this and the Teal S30V Endura, a side by side photo would be appreciated. In promotional photos, it looks like the Native has a lighter color compared to the Endura.
Once mine arrives I can take a comparison pic as well.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
laker_cj

Post by laker_cj »

All the Tantalizing Teal that have been released thusfar:

Delica VG-10
Dragonfly S30V (2 Runs)
Endura S30V
Native 5 LW S90V

It's not really clear in this photo, but the Native does look a little lighter than the Seki variants.
Attachments
Teal Spydies.jpg
My Owned :spyder: - Tasman Salt; Endura; Delica; Embassy; Tenacious; Kitchen Santoku; Yojimbo2; Pattada; SpyderPac; Para 3; Paramilitary 2; Ouroboros; Dragonfly; Squarehead; Ambitious; Ladybug; Kitchen Utility; Cricket; Rescue; Pingo; Native 5; Gayle Bradley Folder; Rubicon; Dice; Remote Release II; Manix; Moran Drop Point; Polestar; Ikuchi; Sliverax; Bow River; Szabo Folder
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Maybe the differences we see in the color is how our eye perceives? The Native handle being wider and presenting more area looks lighter than the narrow handles of the other knives
laker_cj

Post by laker_cj »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:40 pm
Maybe the differences we see in the color is how our eye perceives? The Native handle being wider and presenting more area looks lighter than the narrow handles of the other knives
Maybe, or just the tint from the dye used in US vs Japan? It's close, and all are really close to the sample used to get the color.
My Owned :spyder: - Tasman Salt; Endura; Delica; Embassy; Tenacious; Kitchen Santoku; Yojimbo2; Pattada; SpyderPac; Para 3; Paramilitary 2; Ouroboros; Dragonfly; Squarehead; Ambitious; Ladybug; Kitchen Utility; Cricket; Rescue; Pingo; Native 5; Gayle Bradley Folder; Rubicon; Dice; Remote Release II; Manix; Moran Drop Point; Polestar; Ikuchi; Sliverax; Bow River; Szabo Folder
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

laker_cj wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:53 pm
sn0wman72 wrote:
Maybe, or just the tint from the dye used in US vs Japan? It's close, and all are really close to the sample used to get the color.
I think it's pretty common to see variation in the "same" color between Seki and Golden. The hap40 vs rex45 burnt oranges are slightly different, for example.
- Julia

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Awesome comparison photo. Thanks, laker_cj.

I'm torn between getting the Endura or the Native 5. I prefer the Native platform, but I like the slightly deeper color of the Endura more.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Very interesting! I’ve never tried the Native or s90v...
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

If I didn't already have the Cutlery Shoppe s90v Native LW I'd be all over this. Still very tempting.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:08 pm
If I didn't already have the Cutlery Shoppe s90v Native LW I'd be all over this. Still very tempting.
I came really close to pulling the trigger on the cutlery shop version, but I just couldn't get over the orange. I'm glad I passed. Teal isn't my favorite color, but it's far easier on my eyes and I love the native lw and S90v.

Unfortunately, I'm on the road for work and won't be able to get my hands on it for almost a month if ever. If my wife opens the package, it may disappear like my teal dragonfly. :eek:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

- Julia

T2C

Post by T2C »

nice color, nice knife ;) it's also thinner behind the edge than my other N5's...
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

T2C wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:48 am

nice color, nice knife ;) it's also thinner behind the edge than my other N5's...

Oh that's very interesting - do you have measurements to share by any chance?
~andrew
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

sn0wman72 wrote:
No, the actual shade of every single color “shared” between Japanese and Golden models is slightly different: pink, yellow, orange, burnt orange, and now this teal color. It’s something I’ve noticed for years now, and drives my OCD crazy.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
T2C

Post by T2C »

toocool006 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:24 pm
Oh that's very interesting - do you have measurements to share by any chance?
unfortunately, no.. my conclusion is only based on comparison with the other native lw (s110v) i've on hand now.
i've not checked yet with the other n5's i own(CF,TI) but IIRC they had very similar thickness.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

This is not meant to be a pic demonstrating the subtle color difference in the teal FRN of these, but I thought it was cool to zoom in and see the grind lines, especially on the N5 swedge. If you do compare the colors on each side (Delica on left, Native 5 on right), you can see they’re not quite the same shade. I’ll eventually post up a pic of some of the other direct Delica vs N5 FRN color differences. :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve always liked the shape of the dragonfly blade. An upsized version would be cool. But the 3” blade slot is already crowded.