Help me choose a serration pattern

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Help me choose a serration pattern

Post by Holland »

Recently bought another Mantra 1 to get serrated.

I am not a fan of deep or aggressive serrations.

So far my favourite has been the native salt and the dragonfly has been my least favourite.

I'm not set on spydercos serration pattern but that's my first choice so far.

Anyone have experience with other patterns that performed well?
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Sumdumguy

Re: Help me choose a serration pattern

Post by Sumdumguy »

From what I've heard, a shallower, more rounded serration is ideal.

I'm sure David and JD will be in shortly. :p

Also, yea for SE Mantra! I've thought about it a few times, can't wait to see the final result.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
James Y

Post by James Y »

I recently purchased a serrated Endela, and so far it’s my favorite Spyderco serration pattern. This is my first FFG serrated Spyderco. Actually, the pattern is the same SE pattern, but the scallops and teeth are not too aggressive. Probably has some thing to do with being FFG. It looks like other FFG (full flat ground) blades with serrations, such as the Caribbean, Endura Wharncliffe, and Delica wharncliffe, also have similarly-grounded, shallower, less-aggressive serrations. It also looks like the upcoming, FFG, LC200N SE Pacific Salt will also be less aggressive than the normal, SE hollow-ground Pacific Salt.

Jim
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Holland wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:28 pm
Recently bought another Mantra 1 to get serrated.

I am not a fan of deep or aggressive serrations.

So far my favourite has been the native salt and the dragonfly has been my least favourite.

I'm not set on spydercos serration pattern but that's my first choice so far.

Anyone have experience with other patterns that performed well?
I like where you're going here. I, too, would also like to hear more discussion of serration patterns..........the reasoning and theory behind them. Why is the Spyderco two small followed by one large pattern so successful and copied? Besides the Spyderco name, what is the reason for it's popularity? Is it superior for some reason or is it just an overall general all purpose pattern that cuts well through a vast array of different materials as opposed to another pattern that may cut better through some materials while less efficiently through others? I really do want to understand the reasoning behind the Spydie edge pattern. All things being equal like blade thickness, FFG angle, etc. I'm afraid to admit it, but in my uses, I can't really tell the difference in performance between the Spydie edge and a serrated edge with shallow scallops of about 3/16" between the teeth. If someone were to make the assertion that a uniform 3/16" shallow serration pattern was superior to the Spydie pattern, I would be hard pressed to argue with them.

Inquiring minds want to understand the science behind it.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Who do you plan on sending it to? My suggestion would be to directly copy the Caribbean, but it'll also have to do with how thick the blade grind is behind the edge. The Caribbean hits a sweet spot and gets better and better with sharpening.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I basically only carry serrated or combo edge blades and I prefer spyderco’s serrations purely from a sharpening stand point, but the teeth on my LUDT work great and I can sharpen them fine.

Also, the shallower serrations on the Byrd hawkbill, endela and Caribbean are DOPE.those 3 are my favorites hands down.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006