My Delica Collection (long)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheVoid
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 7:04 pm

My Delica Collection (long)

Postby TheVoid » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:49 pm

I became interested in the Delica in the 1990s as an adjunct to pistol carry for retention and backup defense. It could be carried available to both hands for single hand deployment with symmetric draws. It was air travel and federal building compliant, It was inexpensive if lost or gifted. I even took a defense folding knife course where it was the knife of choice. (Ever cut a roast wearing blue jeans? Ever draw your knife support hand only with an uncooperative role player holding you in a bear hug?)

My focus is only on functional variations with 35 different knives. No “others”, commemoratives, or color variations. Specifically I collect at least once instance of generations, scales, blade steel, blade coatings, and blade configurations. I believe my collection is complete (at least until 24 Sep). I am a gun guy not a knife guy. Critiques welcomed.

Evolution: Gen 1, Gen 2/C43, Gen 3, Salt 1, Gen 4, Salt 2, Endelica

Scales: FRN, G10, Titanium, Stainless Steel, Zome, Paakawood,
Glow in the Dark, Black Carbon Fiber, Shiny Carbon Fiber

Blade Steel: AUS-6, Gin-1/G-2, ATS-55, VG-10, HAP40/SUS410,
CPM-S30V, CPM-S90V, M390, K390, V-Toku2/SUS310,
DPS-15 Damascus/VG-10 Core, ZDP-189, Cru-Wear,
AogameSuperBlue/420J1, SuperGold/SUS410

Blade Coatings: DLC, Stonewashed, TiCN, Black

Blade Configurations: Standard, Wharncliffe, Kahr, Waved, Trainer, Plastic

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5908
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby Sharp Guy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Nice collection! Which one used DLC?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

TheVoid
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby TheVoid » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:51 pm

My understanding subject to the experts here is that the Black coating on C11PSBBK is DLC.
Also forgot to mention in evolution the father of the Delica, the Workman.

u.w.
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:25 am
Location: VABch

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby u.w. » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:53 pm

Cool collection of a great model of Spyderco.

Off the top of my head, and a quick internet looksie says, Spyderco did make a AUS-8 blade steel Delica. I didn't see that on your list.

Out of curiosity, do you have the serrated and plain edge both, for the ones you have? Also, there are, or were, saber ground Delicas in VG-10 & ZDP-189. Do you have the saber ground and FFG ones for those too?

u.w.

TheVoid
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby TheVoid » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:22 pm

Thanks for finding the AUS-8 hole in my collection. Back to eBay I guess. And thanks for making me thinking about various grinds. Another hole? Have variations in P/PS/S but not in all blade variations. Another hole? You are straining my budget.

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5908
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby Sharp Guy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:38 pm

TheVoid wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:51 pm
My understanding subject to the experts here is that the Black coating on C11PSBBK is DLC.
Also forgot to mention in evolution the father of the Delica, the Workman.
The 2008 catalog and Spyderco's website lists it as TiCN. Only reason I asked is I remember someone saying there's never been a Delica that had DLC
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
bearrowland
Member
Posts: 2121
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby bearrowland » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:30 pm

That's some great stuff you did with a Delica! Nice collection by the way.
Barry
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3234
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby JuPaul » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:06 pm

No pictures???!! :)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby Cambertree » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:25 pm

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:38 pm
TheVoid wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:51 pm
My understanding subject to the experts here is that the Black coating on C11PSBBK is DLC.
Also forgot to mention in evolution the father of the Delica, the Workman.
The 2008 catalog and Spyderco's website lists it as TiCN. Only reason I asked is I remember someone saying there's never been a Delica that had DLC
Yes, they don’t use the DLC process for the coated Seki knives - as far as I know they’re all Titanium carbonitrided.

My first thought was a Seki blade that was coated in the US, but I’ve never heard of that either.

And yes. I’d really like to see pics as well!

Do you use the different steels, or are they mainly collectors pieces?

If you do, I’d be curious what you like about the different grades you have.

What’s your favourite EDC Delica?

TheVoid
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby TheVoid » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:30 pm

thanks all for the thoughtful replies. back to the drawing board. (from on the road far from knives)

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5908
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby Sharp Guy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:40 pm

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:25 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:38 pm
TheVoid wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:51 pm
My understanding subject to the experts here is that the Black coating on C11PSBBK is DLC.
Also forgot to mention in evolution the father of the Delica, the Workman.
The 2008 catalog and Spyderco's website lists it as TiCN. Only reason I asked is I remember someone saying there's never been a Delica that had DLC
Yes, they don’t use the DLC process for the coated Seki knives - as far as I know they’re all Titanium carbonitrided.

My first thought was a Seki blade that was coated in the US, but I’ve never heard of that either....
Yeah that's the impression I was under too but then I thought maybe there actually one done in DLC somewhere along the line.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Hobnob
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby Hobnob » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:15 pm

Nice collection of Delicas you have there. Great model to collect with numerous choices. I'm a big Delica fan myself. Carry one everyday.

User avatar
GoBlue93
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby GoBlue93 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:11 pm

That’s a great collection! My personal favorite is the Damascus/VG-10 Core w/Sandwashed Lynch Clip. I carry it everyday and rotate in a larger knife whenever I know I’m going to be camping or doing any heavy duty tasks that day.
Attachments
Damascus Delica.jpeg
🏂⚽️〽️🏈🏐🥃
10🕷 5 Different Steels

prndltech
Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: My Delica Collection (long)

Postby prndltech » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:00 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:06 pm
No pictures???!! :)
Seriously what’s with all the teases around here
- Shannon


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albatross, Google [Bot], odomandr, p_atrick, pushcut, skeeg11 and 37 guests