3/4 of 2020 are almost passed...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: 3/4 of 2020 are almost passed...

Post by James Y »

The only knife I’ve bought this year is my SE Endela. And I’m glad. I’m extremely picky about the knives I buy. I could go years without acquiring any more new knives; I’ve done that more than once before. I do still want one of the SE LC200N Pacific Salts, but I could wait on that.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:41 am
The only knife I’ve bought this year is my SE Endela. And I’m glad. I’m extremely picky about the knives I buy. I could go years without acquiring any more new knives; I’ve done that more than once before. I do still want one of the SE LC200N Pacific Salts, but I could wait on that.

Jim
I knew it! :) And I'm glad that you're glad.. ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:07 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:49 am
prndltech wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:08 am
spent thousands... don’t even want to think about it.
Guilty ✋🏻
Good to have company in my poor financial decisions... at least it’s not heroin!
Hah, solid argument! :)

I don't think ever been judged so harshly by another human as when I made the mistake of telling my mother my BHQ exclusive M4 Native cost $150. In her mind, if a knife costs more than $20, it's too expensive.. and no amount of explanation will convince her otherwise. And the day she realized that I had more than one $100+ knife.. haha well our conversation ended with me walking away, exclaiming, "well, at least it's not heroin!" Now when I go to see her, I have to remember to carry a knife she knows about to avoid any further judgment.. over the years we've adopted a sort of unofficial don't ask, don't tell policy on knife pricing..

I've actually bought fewer Spydies in 2020 than in years past. I have a feeling I'm going to finish out the year strong though.. I pre-orderd the KW 204P Delica and I'm really looking forward to picking up a serrated Rockjumper and Swick 5.. I'm sure there will be something I'm interested in on the DC'd list as well..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:09 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
Warstein:

Thanks! Actually, it was your positive posts about the Endela that had a lot to do with me wanting to get one. :)

Jim
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:07 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:49 am
prndltech wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:08 am
spent thousands... don’t even want to think about it.
Guilty ✋🏻
Good to have company in my poor financial decisions... at least it’s not heroin!
Hey that’s what I said! I’m new but I think I might be heading toward the same path! And I still have more I want to buy.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:55 am
To our European friends (@Wartstein, @aicolainen,etc...) who have prohibitively expensive Spyderco retail prices in your region, have you ever considered using a shipping/forwarding services like myUS or Shipito? That's how we get our blades here in our country for US retail prices plus the shipping cost of the forwarder, though in our case we have local forwarding companies that have much more competitive pricing than the two I have mentioned. Shipping from the US to my country typically costs an average of $20 for 2-3 knives. If we buy knives locally, usually there is a $30-$50 markup, plus about $5-$6 shipping to our local address, so buying direct from the US retailers and having them shipped by a forwarding company is much more cost-effective.
Hi Nerdlock and thanks for your advice.
I do actually shop around a bit, I don’t buy everything domestically. Much of it isn’t even available locally. I have used forwarding services, but not for knives. Yet. Some US dealers ship directly to Norway, and some manufacturers as well. In fact, in the beginning I got almost all of my knives from abroad, but as soon as I got my first lemon that changed. All the money I saved, and then some, was spent on shipping and paperwork. The local dealers are expensive, but they are also great people, so you kind of wanna support that too.

Regarding forwarding, I’ve had good experience with USgoBuy for other EDC items some years back. I’m testing them again now, getting some MXG clips and other small items from here and there that would have cost a fortune to ship individually. They consolidate packages for free and have reasonable shipping rates by my estimates. If the package arrives without issues, I might try them for a knife purchase pretty soon :-)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
To our European friends (@Wartstein, @aicolainen,etc...) who have prohibitively expensive Spyderco retail prices in your region, have you ever considered using a shipping/forwarding services like myUS or Shipito? That's how we get our blades here in our country for US retail prices plus the shipping cost of the forwarder, though in our case we have local forwarding companies that have much more competitive pricing than the two I have mentioned. Shipping from the US to my country typically costs an average of $20 for 2-3 knives. If we buy knives locally, usually there is a $30-$50 markup, plus about $5-$6 shipping to our local address, so buying direct from the US retailers and having them shipped by a forwarding company is much more cost-effective.
Thanks for the advice!

But what you don't consider: Taxes/tarrifs!

I've actually used myus several times in the past (back when they were charging just like 12 USD to Europe), but in most cases I had to pay taxed/tariffs, and with that the price was not really lower than European retail prices.

So I mainly used the forwarding service for Spydies from ebax sellers who would not send directly to Europe.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:54 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Thanks for the advice!

But what you don't consider: Taxes/tarrifs!

I've actually used myus several times in the past (back when they were charging just like 12 USD to Europe), but in most cases I had to pay taxed/tariffs, and with that the price was not really lower than European retail prices.

So I mainly used the forwarding service for Spydies from ebax sellers who would not send directly to Europe.

Ha, this :eek:

There are a lot of great shops with great service here in Europe. If the knife is available here in Europe, I'll buy local.
And shipping takes only 2 days :cool:

And Sprints are way more easier to get here, because the demand isn't that high over here.

... along came the next dealer exclusive :p
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

N5 LC200N
PM2 M390
P3 S45VN
Sharpmaker
And a couple non-spyderco.

And in the mail
Manix 2 S30V
Amalgam S30V

Really want the LC200N Pac Salt SE (once available), but may have to wait a bit. The Chief Financial Officer is getting grumpy.

Wow, when I type it out, I can see why she might be getting grumpy...
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

I am warming up to the Shaman. Also giving the Pac Salt SE a hard look, the all black one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

M Sea wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:06 am
I am warming up to the Shaman. Also giving the Pac Salt SE a hard look, the all black one.

Hard choice now between the hollow sabre H1 and the ffg LC200N Pac Salt!
So good thing that you want all black, that leaves you with just the H1 option anyway ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

M Sea wrote:
The Shaman is a masterpiece. If you don't already have one, it's well worth giving it a try.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:15 am
M Sea wrote:

Hard choice now between the hollow sabre H1 and the ffg LC200N Pac Salt!
So good thing that you want all black, that leaves you with just the H1 option anyway ;)
Ha, thats a good point!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:15 am
M Sea wrote:
The Shaman is a masterpiece. If you don't already have one, it's well worth giving it a try.
I have actually never owned one. What steel would you recommend on a Shaman for hard use? I have always been just fine with s30v but see alot of folks here like the Rex45. I do have a Manix 2 LW with Maxamet that I love also.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

You won't go wrong with Rex45, unless you actually live close to salt water....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:54 am
Ha, I live on an island, lol. So saltwater gets on everything I own eventually. Wish they had an H1 Shaman. Maybe a Carrribean would be a better choice?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

M Sea wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:58 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Ha, I live on an island, lol. So saltwater gets on everything I own eventually. Wish they had an H1 Shaman. Maybe a Carrribean would be a better choice?

Hi MSea, just got my first REX45 knife (Manix 2 LW), here my (totally layman-ish) first impressions ;) https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 2#p1455172

But in YOUR environment a more rustproof knife probably would be the better choice over a REX 45 Shaman?
The Caribbean must be a great knife, especially in SE... I am sure you are aware of Davids thread, describing how he really beats on on that thing? (See here: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85045)
If it had a backlock, I´d get one in a heartbeat:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

M Sea wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:
If that's the case, S30V should be just fine for you. Or if you can get your hands on one of the Z-Wear sprints that will soon be released, that should be ok for you as long as you clean and maintain it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:12 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:09 am
James Y wrote:
Warstein:

Thanks! Actually, it was your positive posts about the Endela that had a lot to do with me wanting to get one. :)

Jim
I am honored if could contribute a bit to you getting that great knife! :)

The Endela SE actually is so easy to recommend: I can´t imagine that there are many "knifefolks" who´d not at least appreciate it purely as an amazing cutting tool, even if they´d happen not to prefer the general design.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:10 am
M Sea wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:

Hi MSea, just got my first REX45 knife (Manix 2 LW), here my (totally layman-ish) first impressions ;) https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 2#p1455172

But in YOUR environment a more rustproof knife probably would be the better choice over a REX 45 Shaman?
The Caribbean must be a great knife, especially in SE... I am sure you are aware of Davids thread, describing how he really beats on on that thing? (See here: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85045)
If it had a backlock, I´d get one in a heartbeat:
Thank you for the information and the link . So now I want a Caribbean and a Shaman in s30v :D