Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Post by JD Spydo »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:18 pm
K-2
Pingo
LionSpy
Gayle Bradley Air
Kiwi
Kopa
Frank Centofante Memory
ATR
PITS
Rock Salt
Temperance G-10
Most interesting list "Full Flat Mind" :) But I've got a couple of questions to ask to clear up which models we are really talking about. First off that one on the bottom ( TEMPERANCE G-10?) Are you talking about that fixed blade TEMPERANCE 1 model?

Also the one at the top ( K-2) is one that breaks my heart. It was one I really wanted to get about 5 to 6 years ago but it got discontinued so fast that I was never able to snag one. I had a lot of medical bills during that time slot ( 2 knee replacements in one year) and I was short on change for almost two years and missed out on at least 4 models I wish I could have put in my footlocker.

Also that PINGO wasn't on the main line up very long either. It was another model that literally passed me by. But please let me know which TEMPERANCE model you're specifically talking about? Those fixed blade TEMP 1 models are still my favorite Spyderco fixed blade ever made by the company. It was one of the very few Spyderco fixed blades you could get in SE & PE both. I want a Sprint Run in that TEMP 1 model so bad :rolleyes: A Salt Series version of the TEMP 1 would be a "dream come true" for me. Most interesting list Sir!! :cool:
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Temp 2 fixed with brown G-10. I just loved the look of it. I never cared for the Temp 1 handles for some reason. I will say that if they did a Salt version of the Temp 1, I'm totally in!

The K-2 is really the one that got away (Slysz Bowie too). It was too pricey for me when it came out and I never got a chance to buy it. I really regret not grabbing one.

The Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Kiwi, and Kopa (those scales were beautiful): I used to go to a local knife shop at least weekly to drool on their display cases full of these.

I remember the Pingo showing up in the catalog one year and it caught my interest but I never bought one. The Pingo that I wanted most was the Ti version in ELMAX with the bug logo on it.

Then there were the ones so weird that it made me want them like the Poliwog, Equilibrium, and the Balance.

There are SO many awesome models from the past, I couldn't possibly list them all from memory.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:50 pm
Temp 2 fixed with brown G-10. I just love the look of it...
Don't change your mind about the look of it, but the handle material should be brown micarta. ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
arnold ziffle

Post by arnold ziffle »

i really like my kumo. it seems to go missing frequently. i’ll see if i can find it and take a pic.
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Peter1960 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:07 am
FullFlatMind wrote:
Temp 2 fixed with brown G-10. I just love the look of it...
Don't change your mind about the look of it, but the handle material should be brown micarta. ;)
No argument here. That would have been great. When I first saw pictures of the Temp 2, I thought it was micarta.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Temp 2 fixed with brown G-10. I just loved the look of it. I never cared for the Temp 1 handles for some reason. I will say that if they did a Salt version of the Temp 1, I'm totally in!

The K-2 is really the one that got away (Slysz Bowie too). It was too pricey for me when it came out and I never got a chance to buy it. I really regret not grabbing one.

I remember the Pingo showing up in the catalog one year and it caught my interest but I never bought one. The Pingo that I wanted most was the Ti version in ELMAX with the bug logo on it.
Well that's really strange that you didn't like the handle on the TEMP 1 because that's one big feature that I've always liked about it. And I've had at least a half a dozen friends and family members comment on how that TEMP 1 handle fit them perfect just like it did with me.
I'm sure it would have a lot to do with hand size. But I'm going to continue to voice my desires for a Salt Version of the TEMP 1.
So far in this thread I'm kind of surprised that no one yet has mentioned some of those ancient Spyders from the "Ironstone" days. Or the obscure Spyderco-Timberline collaboration>> which is one I always wanted but never able to obtain.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:35 am
[/URL]
I had a funny feeling you were going to show up to this one "Reject" :) Those are two models I never owned i.e. the Vagabond & the Maddox. With the Maddox designed for handicapped people it sure had a very narrow market.
The Vagabond might have been more appealing to me if it had a better blade steel than AUS-6.

But it's been amazing how many Vagabond threads we've had in the past 3 years or so. When it was in the main line up I don't recall it being there very long which would indicate to me that it never went high on the sales charts.

I could say the same about the SPOT model that was on the main line up about the same time. Well REJECT you always seem to come in and make things interesting>> especially on threads where fixed blades are involved :)
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:10 am
olywa wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:11 am
Another plug for the Ocelot and the Navigator. I still have the Ocelot but gifted the Navigator to one of my daughter's years ago.
I really liked that Ocelot model but there was one minor problem that never got fixed with the original OCELOT. Those "paw prints" on the handle/scales ( deep recessed holes in the handle) did not serve well. Because I used an OCELOT one day to field dress some small game animals ( I believe it was some cottontail rabbits). Within a day that knife got to stinking so bad and then I figured out what the problem was. Some of the guts, blood and other residue from the rabbits had gotten trapped in those recessed paw prints and I had to soak it overnight in a strong concentration of DAWN dish soap to get all of it out.

If they ever re-make a Sprint Run of the OCELOT and make it with a standard, solid handle I would be glad to own one again.
A bit off topic but I now have the itch to track one of those knives down and fill the "paws" with colorful resin...maybe even glow in the dark...hmm...
"Seven for One"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

arnold ziffle wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:31 am
i really like my kumo. it seems to go missing frequently. i’ll see if i can find it and take a pic.
I truly believe that the only reason the KUMO model never really took off was that wrap type handle they used. I truly believe had that KUMO had something like a Micarta handle or even a fixed blade G-10 handle I believe that model would have been a big seller at the marketplace.

Because the blade design was nice in my humble opinion. But I could never warm up to that handle. Also it was one of the hardest Spyderco knives I ever owned to trade away. It took me about 6 months to find someone that wanted it in a trade. Not sure why but I would guess that there were a lot of people that just didn't like that handle.

I would love to snag another used one and put a different handle on it.
wheats

Post by wheats »

Navaja. Love to see a Lil Navaja
vivi

Post by vivi »

Police 3.

It blows my mind how much more attention the Police 4 gets than the P3 did.

If more people bought it we probably would have gotten the Ti/ZDP sprint Sal had in mind.

It was my favorite folding knife design until the Police 4 came out, but its very, very rare to come across people that ever carried one.

This is one of those knives I immediately decided to buy the second I saw a prototype photo. Can't believe how few people bought one.
:unicorn
Reject

Post by Reject »

C96 Spyker
C102 Adventura
C87 Scorpius
C73 Impala
Old school Manix
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

So many cool oldie spydies to choose from. But what I found out about some of my recent instagram posts, is that these are pretty unknown, on that platform at least.

R & R2

Leafstorm

Salsa

and my current vintage favorite, the Blackhawk
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:19 am
C96 Spyker
Well "Reject" if I didn't know better I would swear that with almost the exact same taste in knives we must be related to each other. It almost made me cry when I had to sell my NIB and user Spyker models. But my back was up against the wall at the time and medical bills come first :(

Also I traded two of my IMPALA models and ever since I've been wanting to get another one of those as a hunter folder. I would eventually love to see Sprint Runs of all the IMPALA variants. They barely made the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS 1998-2004. That Ed Scott must have a bunch of great outdoor knife designs. It almost makes me want to fly over to South Africa to see if I could find him :D
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:49 am
So many cool oldie spydies to choose from. But what I found out about some of my recent instagram posts, is that these are pretty unknown, on that platform at least....
Help me out, Mr. Blonde. I'm kind of new around here. The C24 Blackhawk image above appears to have an FRN scale. But in your website there are pictures of the clip side that look like it might be a G10 scale, as in the image I jacked below. Also, there is a screw on the clip side but no corresponding screw on the plain side in the picture above. And no stainless steel liner to screw into. Is the screw blind threaded into the FRN? My C23 Renegades are pinned through G10 on both sides. Am I seeing that correctly?

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Doh! I just answered my own question by referring to my copy of The Spyderco Story, page 100.

"Variations
Early Versions of the Blackhawk had checkered 6061-T6 aluminum handles, but G10 was soon adopted, and all Renegades have been G10."

The Company should have stayed with the aluminum and you, Sir, may have a rare Blackhawk.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:22 am
Mr Blonde wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:49 am
So many cool oldie spydies to choose from. But what I found out about some of my recent instagram posts, is that these are pretty unknown, on that platform at least....
Help me out, Mr. Blonde. I'm kind of new around here. The C24 Blackhawk image above appears to have an FRN scale. But in your website there are pictures of the clip side that look like it might be a G10 scale, as in the image I jacked below. Also, there is a screw on the clip side but no corresponding screw on the plain side in the picture above. And no stainless steel liner to screw into. Is the screw blind threaded into the FRN? My C23 Renegades are pinned through G10 on both sides. Am I seeing that correctly?

Back in the day, there were some knives done with anodized aluminum scales. Your second picture, it looks like anodizing wearing off a little near the pivot, the black is missing and you see a silver-ish underneath.

*edit* Oops, didn't read your followup post.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Reject

Post by Reject »

If I were ever to campaign for a sprint run of an old model; :) it would be for this one.

Hey Eric; :) if you did bring it back, is there anything that you would change?
Last edited by Reject on Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:28 am
Doh! I just answered my own question by referring to my copy of The Spyderco Story, page 100.

"Variations
Early Versions of the Blackhawk had checkered 6061-T6 aluminum handles, but G10 was soon adopted, and all Renegades have been G10."

The Company should have stayed with the aluminum and you, Sir, may have a rare Blackhawk.
Yep, it's the aluminum variant and I like it better than a G10 version too. I got really lucky scoring this one, especially in the condition it's in. It's practically new from the box.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram