Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Post by Sumdumguy »

Reject wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:35 am

I have been looking for a Maddox for a long time. That is one tough knife to find. I found one a while back. But, they were asking like $500 for it. Hehe, no.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

This is pure speculation on my part but the aluminum handles probably required expensive molds. The cost would be prohibitive for limited production and offer no flexibility for modification. Once the Company hit on laser cut G10 scales, stainless steel liners and blades, design possibilities, innovation and creativity exploded while keeping cost down. Good for us Spydie enthusiasts.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

silvershade255 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:43 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:10 am
olywa wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:11 am
Another plug for the Ocelot and the Navigator. I still have the Ocelot but gifted the Navigator to one of my daughter's years ago.
I really liked that Ocelot model but there was one minor problem that never got fixed with the original OCELOT. Those "paw prints" on the handle/scales ( deep recessed holes in the handle) did not serve well. Because I used an OCELOT one day to field dress some small game animals ( I believe it was some cottontail rabbits). Within a day that knife got to stinking so bad and then I figured out what the problem was. Some of the guts, blood and other residue from the rabbits had gotten trapped in those recessed paw prints and I had to soak it overnight in a strong concentration of DAWN dish soap to get all of it out.

If they ever re-make a Sprint Run of the OCELOT and make it with a standard, solid handle I would be glad to own one again.
A bit off topic but I now have the itch to track one of those knives down and fill the "paws" with colorful resin...maybe even glow in the dark...hmm...
Taking an old OCELOT model and filling the recessed paw prints with some type of colorful resin or even a colored silicone sealant is an idea that I've also thought about over the years. That might just make that a nice all purpose outdoor folder.

I haven't seen or run across an OCELOT model in quite some time now. I haven't even seen one up for trade over at BF for at least 2 to 3 years. All of those "Wegner" designs were well loved but they all became forgotten rather quickly when they were dropped from the main line up. Even the C-48 Wegner or the Wegner Jr. models have almost made it to the "extinct" list.
It's fair to say that all of the Spyderco WEGNER designs are truly in the "forgotten" list.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:15 am
Reject wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:35 am
I have been looking for a Maddox for a long time. That is one tough knife to find. I found one a while back. But, they were asking like $500 for it. Hehe, no.
I have believed for some time now that if that VAGABOND model was to have been made with a much better blade steel it might even still be with us. There were quite a few of the guys back in the 2005 era that loved the compact nature of that model.

Fixed blades that have short blades are not to be overlooked. When the Perrin STREETBEAT first came out I initially thought it was going to be a bust. And boy was I ever wrong. It became one of the most coveted Spyderco fixed blade models.

I think that both of those models prove that fixed blade models with short blades can be successful depending on the overall design.
Yester5

Post by Yester5 »

Scorpius
Salsa
Peter Herbst
Wayne Goddard
Snap-It
Mr.Green

Post by Mr.Green »

The mostly forgotten C51 Rookie.
-Noah
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Did kershaw build the spyker or was that Spyderco?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr.Green wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:02 am
The mostly forgotten C51 Rookie.
I've gone on record saying that the ROOKIE model might have been the most perfect sized EDC folder Spyderco ever made. I would not at all hesitate to give someone a ROOKIE model for a gift. Now I can't say that about many Spyderco models because a lot of Spyderco models are really only appreciated by knife enthusiasts like us.

But the ROOKIE if it had better marketing it could still be in Spyderco's main line up. Because to me it looked like the quintesscential perfect EDC folder. I doubt if there are very many jurisdictions in the USA that you couldn't carry a ROOKIE model.

That's another one they ought to consider giving a second chance.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:45 am
IIRC is was a Sal / Ken Onion design collaboration produced by Spyderco.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:35 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
I still think the SPYKER was the very best recurve they ever made IMO. I would love to see a second run of those. I traded my last one away and now regret doing it. And I've not ever found another one for trade. Or for sale at a reasonable price.

But the Spyker was built really solid and the blade was about the perfect length for a recurve.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Many years ago, I carried a SS-handled, PE Rookie. It’s the only clip knife I’ve ever carried that cut me while it was clipped. It was clipped tip-down, and I reached for something else down in that pocket. As I was withdrawing my hand, my hand must have rubbed against the blade spine near the hole enough to slightly open the blade tip just out of the handle, which cut the side of my ring finger tip as I was withdrawing my hand from my pocket. It only happened that one time.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:46 pm
Many years ago, I carried a SS-handled, PE Rookie. It’s the only clip knife I’ve ever carried that cut me while it was clipped. It was clipped tip-down, and I reached for something else down in that pocket. As I was withdrawing my hand, my hand must have rubbed against the blade spine near the hole enough to slightly open the blade tip just out of the handle, which cut the side of my ring finger tip as I was withdrawing my hand from my pocket. It only happened that one time.

Jim
Jim I had the G-10 Rookie and I never had any problem of that nature. But stainless handled folders are an animal all their own in many cases. Sorry that happened to you. I had that happen with one of my Benchmade Boguszewski Spike models once in a freak accident. But it wasn't too bad. But certainly annoying.

But I would still like to see a Sprint Run of the G-10 Rookie some day. When they did the POLICE and ROOKIE models in G-10 during the ATS-55 era it seemed like they were a completely different model all together with G-10 handles.

But the ROOKIE has been one of my all time favorite Spyders from that era.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:38 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:35 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
I still think the SPYKER was the very best recurve they ever made IMO. I would love to see a second run of those. I traded my last one away and now regret doing it. And I've not ever found another one for trade. Or for sale at a reasonable price.

But the Spyker was built really solid and the blade was about the perfect length for a recurve.
I really liked Ken Onions sense for ergonomics except for one thing. The thumb ramps on his designs were a little more cramped than optimal for me. I carried Leeks, Bumps and Shallots in the past, and they're all well designed.

I remember looking at the Spyker and thinking it combined classic Ken Onion ergonomics with a Spyder hole and a more extended thumb ramp, and that I'd love it. I never did get to handle one though. I was a fan of knives like the Bump, so I bet I'd love the Spyker.

If you can work your Ayoob magic on this model I'd certainly give it a try :D
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

brj wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 am
T-Mag and Bi-fold. I still carry both from time to time
Is the T-mag a slip joint?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
vivi

Post by vivi »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:13 pm
brj wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 am
T-Mag and Bi-fold. I still carry both from time to time
Is the T-mag a slip joint?
Yep. Magnets provide the tension for opening and closing.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

What about the Spin? I never see that little pocket scalpel mentioned.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

yowzer wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:17 am
I know Vivi has one and uses it:
vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:44 pm
Carried my Spin for the first time in years. It freed some barbies from their packaging at a birthday party :D

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:45 am
yowzer wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:17 am
I know Vivi has one and uses it:
vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:44 pm
Carried my Spin for the first time in years. It freed some barbies from their packaging at a birthday party :D

Thanks Meat Man :) I haven't even seen a SPIN model in at least 5 to 6 years. It got about as little fanfare as the SPUR model did. and the sad thing about that was that I actually liked both designs.

I've said since about 2005 that Spyderco is also the king of small bladed knives. They have so many small bladed models that are so useful and make excellent EDC folders. I've said for years that the Dodo model might just be the most "genius" of all small bladed folders that I've ever used.

And don't forget the MOUSE model>> that would make an ideal Sprint Run.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Viele
Starmate
Flat horn
Hummingbird
Rookie
Ocelot
Laguiole
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I am a big fan of the impala, and carry a CE variant frequently.