Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reject

Re: Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Post by Reject »

:) Has anyone got a C27 Jess Horn?

C34 Jess Horn II

C38 Jess Horn Lightweight

How much can a Koala bear?
Reject

Post by Reject »

C153 Des Horn

Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Reject wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:55 pm
Yes I do, I have two. ;)

Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Reject

Post by Reject »

Peter1960 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:44 pm
Reject wrote:
Yes I do, I have two. ;)

:D Nice. :spyder: They are a classic.
Appler

Post by Appler »

Pirka. Always wanted one of those.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Reject wrote:

C34 Jess Horn II

I have a PE Jess Horn Lightweight. Must have had it for at least 20 years or so. I still have it somewhere around here. :)

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:32 pm
I did get a chance to handle a Warrior recently and that is one heavy hunk o' steel. From a design point of view, the pygmy warrior is a little closer to what I had in mind except for the partially serrated almost hawkbill serrated side of the blade. Full serrations would be better. Besides the original BD1 steel not being one of my favs and the finger grooves that inhibit comfortable use of the serrated edge we're getting closer. If the serrated edge were flat like on a wharnie and the handle were more like the Temp 1/2 without finger grooves I think it would prove to be a very flexible use fixed blade knife. I, myself, wouldn't particularly care how pointy it might be, but making it out of LC200N moves it closer to grail status in my book. Just dreamin', but looking at these blasts from the past is most inspirational.
Brother you hit that nail directly on the head. I would love to get a Warrior model and have someone put full serrations on it. Because that's what H-1 is really good for is serrated edges
The Warrior and Pygmy Warrior both would be great to do a Sprint Run in LC200N in SE & PE.

I always loved the serrations on the spine. This is a great outdoor type of knife even though it was intended to be a tactical knife. It may be Spyderco's best "Survival Knife" yet. Man this thread is getting most interesting. Keep them coming guys :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:59 pm
C153 Des Horn

I was going through some bad medical expenses when the Des Horn was in the main line up. It's one of the older models that I deeply regret not getting when they were still in the main line up. It is probably one of my most favorite Spyderco Wharnies of all time. Oh how I would love one of those in M390 or 204P
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:54 pm
Reject wrote:

C34 Jess Horn II

I have a PE Jess Horn Lightweight. Must have had it for at least 20 years or so. I still have it somewhere around here. :)

Jim
Jim those Jess Horn models are probably my second favorite small blade Spydercos. That Burgundy unit with the ZDP-189 steel is my second favorite to the Burgundy Caly Jr. which also had ZDP-189.

There were a lot of those special edition Jess Horn models and the one that has the look of the "Mother of Pearl" handle is probably some of my most favorite "eye candy" of all time.

This thread is sure one of the most entertaining I can remember. And I owe it all to you guys who are bringing these old treasures out for all of us to enjoy :)
Reject

Post by Reject »

C05 Economy/Standard. Integral metal clip

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:38 pm

I had one of those but if I remember right I think mine had a G-10 handle. And that kind of brings up some conflictive information. Because for a long time I thought that the very first Spyderco models that had G-10 handles were the Blackhawk and RENEGADE. But now I'm not sure because that "Economy/Standard" model I'm sure was made before the Blackhawk and Renegade models were.

They were all made in the GIN-1 era. It would be interesting to know. I got a feeling the Brother REJECT knows which one came first :)
Reject

Post by Reject »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:48 pm
Reject wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:38 pm
I had one of those but if I remember right I think mine had a G-10 handle. And that kind of brings up some conflictive information. Because for a long time I thought that the very first Spyderco models that had G-10 handles were the Blackhawk and RENEGADE. But now I'm not sure because that "Economy/Standard" model I'm sure was made before the Blackhawk and Renegade models were.

They were all made in the GIN-1 era. It would be interesting to know. I got a feeling the Brother REJECT knows which one came first :)

Mate: :D Spydiewiki is my information Source, created by members of this forum. :spyder: Long may it live.

C109 S

Reject

Post by Reject »

C83 Ed Schempp Persian Folder and C105 Ed Schempp Persian 75mm

Reject

Post by Reject »

The C22 Michael Walkers are true classics I have 2, :( but not the rare ones.

So; if Larry_Mott happens to passing by this thread, :) some pics please?

Or anyone else lucky enough to have them.

SC01 SpyderCard

C159 Bradly Air

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is one item of interest regarding that SpyderCard and Vagabond>> and I could name two model models in this regard. It seems like all the models that they used AUS-6 blade steel were doomed from the "get-go". I don't know of even one model that did well that had that blade steel. And the two blades I had with AUS-6 I just didn't like.

I've often wondered if the Vagabond had better blade steel that it might have had more popularity?
Reject

Post by Reject »

C84 Karambit

FB11 Kumo

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:16 pm
C84 Karambit

FB11 Kumo
I used to own both the Warren Thomas Karambit and the KUMO models both. I would have kept the KUMO if it would have had a different handle. I never could get used to that cord wrapped handle. The KUMO would be a great fixed blade Sprint Run if it had a G-10 handle.

I do believe if that WT Karambit would have had a G-10 handle it would have been in the main line up a lot longer than it was IMO. Because it's release was about the same time all those Karambit models were getting popular. There is one kind of odd thing I encountered. I had two woodworkers that asked me if I could get them one of these Spyderco Karambit models. I found it very interesting that woodworkers thought it was a great tool for their trade.
Reject

Post by Reject »

C145 Zulu

James Y

Post by James Y »

I have a Spydercard, and apropos to this thread’s title, I had completely forgotten about it! I got mine way back, maybe 2002 or so? I’m not really sure. I never did carry it, though it’s well-made. It’s one of those knives that went into the drawer and never came out.

Long ago, when I carried a Spyderco on my Keyring, it was a red-handled Ladybug in AUS-6. Good knife, though after several years, I took it off the keyring, because I never actually used it. I hate trying to use knives (especially tiny ones) with keys hanging off the end.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:41 pm
C145 Zulu

I've often wondered how good a ZULU model would have been in full SE? Why Spyderco at least didn't do one Recurve model in full SE just baffles me to no end. I've thought for a long time that the ULIZE and SPYKER models both in full SE would be so good that they would have trouble keeping them in stock.

I also thought that the ADVENTRUA designed by Brother "dialex" from here on the Forum would have also been great in SE. It just seems to me that there would be big advantages for a recurve to have teeth :cool: