Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reject

Re: Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Post by Reject »

C70 ATR

How much can a Koala bear?
Reject

Post by Reject »

C155 Centofante Memory

Reject

Post by Reject »

C47 Endura 11 and the C43 Delica 11

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

You must have an incredible collection, Reject! I like seeing all these older Spyderco knives. Keep posting! :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

As do I!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:36 pm
JD; :) some of the knife photos I am submitting may not be of knives "Completely Forgotten" by most people. But I’m getting old and my memory is not as good as it used to be. When again; :o maybe it never was.

C139 Jason Breeden Rescue

The Breeden RESCUE model is one that still confuses me to no end. Why on earth they made a RESCUE type blade with no serrations is beyond me :confused: Just look at all the other "rescue" type blades Spyderco has made over the years. About 95% of them are fully serrated. So why would they put out something as cool looking as the Breeden RESCUE and not give it teeth is one I can't answer at all :confused:

I'm willing to bet that if they made the Breeden RESCUE, The Superhawk, and more fixed blades in SE they would have sold hundreds and hundreds more of them I'm certain. But maybe someday?
Reject

Post by Reject »

C42 Howard Viele and C97 Howard Viele II

Reject

Post by Reject »

FB27 Woodcraft

Information from the Woodcraft catalog
Spyderco has partnered with one of the industry's leading knife manufacturers to bring you this exclusive knife design. Made in Golden, Colorado this blade is based on the popular Spyderco Mule Team design. The blade is leaf shaped, sharpened and finished, but with an unfinished handle providing you with an uncommon do it yourself opportunity. The blade is made from CPM S30V, which is not a new steel, but is one that is not commonly used in the knife industry due to its difficulty in grinding. It is a high carbon stainless steel which offers excellent edge retention and higher strength, along with Vanadium which provides greater wear resistance. Wood and rivets sold separately.[

Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Reject wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:54 pm
C70 ATR

Man I hope integral compression locks like this and the Ti salsa come back sometime. Such an interesting design.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:48 pm
Reject wrote:
C70 ATR

Man I hope integral compression locks like this and the Ti salsa come back sometime. Such an interesting design.
You and me both! There was talk of a Caribbean XL in that spec. But, I don't know if anything will ever happen to that idea. That grip patern machined into Ti would be the business!

I still need to send my Ti ATR in to get fixed(stop pin is too small, somehow). I've put it off forever. But, I'm dying to use it. Maybe after the holidays, I'll break down and send it in.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Reject

Post by Reject »

C86 Spin

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:02 pm
C86 Spin
Reject ol' buddy I've got some news for you :) Just the other night I had two lady friends of mine asking me if there were any guys I envied. And I told them there were two guys ( one deceased unfortunately) that I had envied most of my life. They are Bryan Ferry ( Roxy Music fame) and Robert Palmer ( chick magnet extraordinaire)>> actually both of them were the best "chick magnets" I ever seen in my lifetime :D . But now I have one more to add to the list>> and that third man is you REJECT my friend :) . Your collection of classic, Old School Spyders literally has me "Green With Envy :D )

But look at it this way. You had to be way up on the charts to get on that list :D I bet Robert Palmer and Bryan Ferry neither one ever had a collection like you've got :cool:>> except that both of them did have huge collections of gorgeous women :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
C70 ATR
REJECT!!! Hey Ol' Buddy you're holding out on me!!! Where are your Titanium ATR models at ?????? :rolleyes:

Don't you dare hold out on me :D I bet you've got just as many Ti ATR models as Sal & Eric have :cool:
Reject

Post by Reject »

The 2 ATRs on the left are the titanium models. The steel models have more holes in the handle.

And JD; :o I am not sure if a person with collection this size should be envied or pitied.

C53 Peter Herbst

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:26 am
The 2 ATRs on the left are the titanium models. The steel models have more holes in the handle.

And JD; :o I am not sure if a person with collection this size should be envied or pitied.

C53 Peter Herbst

I used to have two of those Titanium Peter Herbst models. One was PE and the other was CE and both had 440C blade steel. I got a lot in return for the trades I made at that time. But I now regret that I didn't keep at least one of them. To the best of my memory that was a collaboration project between Spyderco and Boker if I remember right.

When I got both of them they guy sold them to me so cheap that I sent them in to Spyderco to make absolutely certain that they were authentic>>> and thank GOD above they were both the "Real McCoy".

Sorry I didn't notice your Ti ATR models. It was a long night :o And these physical therapy treatments I'm getting for my latest shoulder surgery has made sleep very hard to come by :o . I just love the feel of Titanium handles.

The original Herbst was one of the great one from the ATS-55 era. Which was about my very favorite era for old school Spyders.
Reject

Post by Reject »

FB21 Caspian Salt

FB22 Caspian Salt 2

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The Caspian concept has always intrigued me. Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to handle one. I'm not a diver, but a similar design more geared towards the hunter/fisher would be fascinating. I'm completely in the dark regarding legalities of double edged fixed blades, but can't help envisioning something with a sweep and slightly positive blade angle on the PE side and a slightly negative blade angle on the fully serrated side. Something like a fixed serrated Wharnie profile except the spine is PE with a nice Boltaron sheath w/ G clip. Perhaps a subject for another thread.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:05 pm
The Caspian concept has always intrigued me. Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to handle one. I'm not a diver, but a similar design more geared towards the hunter/fisher would be fascinating. I'm completely in the dark regarding legalities of double edged fixed blades, but can't help envisioning something with a sweep and slightly positive blade angle on the PE side and a slightly negative blade angle on the fully serrated side. Something like a fixed serrated Wharnie profile except the spine is PE with a nice Boltaron sheath w/ G clip. Perhaps a subject for another thread.
It always confused me as to why the Caspian Salt model(s) wasn't in the main line up any longer than it was. The Caspian Salt had the distinction of being like a few of the old school models>> in other words it didn't really become wanted or even slightly popular until it was discontinued. I have a list of Spyders that hold that distinction and it's not that big of a list either.

Now there was some talk about a year ago that Eric Glesser was toying with the idea of a Sprint Run of the Caspian Salt. But like many projects we hear about it just hasn't materialized as of yet. But I'm keeping my eyes open and my ears tuned in. The Caspian Salt is a most unique "diver's knife" and like many other Spyderco models it was mostly designed for specific functions instead of being cool looking. But again it was a shame that more divers weren't aware of it until it got eliminated from the main line up. But I ain't giving up on it.
Reject

Post by Reject »

FB25 Warrior

FB29 Pygmy Warrior

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I did get a chance to handle a Warrior recently and that is one heavy hunk o' steel. From a design point of view, the pygmy warrior is a little closer to what I had in mind except for the partially serrated almost hawkbill serrated side of the blade. Full serrations would be better. Besides the original BD1 steel not being one of my favs and the finger grooves that inhibit comfortable use of the serrated edge we're getting closer. If the serrated edge were flat like on a wharnie and the handle were more like the Temp 1/2 without finger grooves I think it would prove to be a very flexible use fixed blade knife. I, myself, wouldn't particularly care how pointy it might be, but making it out of LC200N moves it closer to grail status in my book. Just dreamin', but looking at these blasts from the past is most inspirational.