Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Completely Forgotten Spyderco Models: Your Favorites?

Post by JuPaul »

Mini2white wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:50 pm
Viele
Starmate
Flat horn
Hummingbird
Rookie
Ocelot
Laguiole
The Laguiole is a new one to me! And what's the Flat Horn? Is that a variant on the Jess Horn?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:22 pm
Mini2white wrote:
Viele
Starmate
Flat horn
Hummingbird
Rookie
Ocelot
Laguiole
The Laguiole is a new one to me! And what's the Flat Horn? Is that a variant on the Jess Horn?
Back in the real old days of Spyderco there was a retail outlet there in Colorado known as "Ironstone". And there were some models that were exclusive to Ironstone as well. I have a couple of those older Ironstone catalogs in my storage unit along with boxes and boxes of old Spyderco catalogs and other memorabilia.

Also there was a time when Spyderco themselves were selling other stuff like that Laguiole, you mentioned which I believe is a French made knife if my memory serves me well. Spyderco also had supplemental catalogs that sold G-Sakai, Moki and a couple of other older brands. And that Flat Horn model ( I thought it was flat iron but I could be mistaken) well it was one of those "Ironstone" exclusives I'm pretty sure. The Ocelot was one of the Tim Wegner models ( 2005 era) that Spyderco did well with from the late 90s to the mid 2000 decade. I liked the design of the Ocelot and owned 2 of them at one point. It had cut outs of "paw prints" on it that I personally found annoying. The rest of them are pretty easy to look up.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:33 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Mini2white wrote:
Viele
Starmate
Flat horn
Hummingbird
Rookie
Ocelot
Laguiole
Back in the real old days of Spyderco there was a retail outlet there in Colorado known as "Ironstone". And there were some models that were exclusive to Ironstone as well. I have a couple of those older Ironstone catalogs in my storage unit along with boxes and boxes of old Spyderco catalogs and other memorabilia.

Also there was a time when Spyderco themselves were selling other stuff like that Laguiole, you mentioned which I believe is a French made knife if my memory serves me well. Spyderco also had supplemental catalogs that sold G-Sakai, Moki and a couple of other older brands. And that Flat Horn model ( I thought it was flat iron but I could be mistaken) well it was one of those "Ironstone" exclusives I'm pretty sure. The Ocelot was one of the Tim Wegner models ( 2005 era) that Spyderco did well with from the late 90s to the mid 2000 decade. I liked the design of the Ocelot and owned 2 of them at one point. It had cut outs of "paw prints" on it that I personally found annoying. The rest of them are pretty easy to look up.
Thanks JD! Yeah, the Flat Horn (or Flat Iron?) was the only one that didn't turn up on a quick google search.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I never hear anything about the Remote Release. It was my second Spyderco, and my first full SE Spyderco. First full SE knife in general. Cool knife :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:44 pm
I never hear anything about the Remote Release. It was my second Spyderco, and my first full SE Spyderco. First full SE knife in general. Cool knife :cool:
They actually had a second rendition of the Remote Release. I've still got one of mine from back in the AUS-8 era. The second and most recent Remote Release was a VG-10 model I'm pretty sure.

I always liked the REMOTE RELEASE much better than I did the Snap It model which was similar in many ways. Both were made for rappelling and white water rafting from what I was told. But both models had a variety of uses they were good for. But again I found the REMOTE RELEASE much easier to use and implement in tough situations.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:44 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:44 pm
They actually had a second rendition of the Remote Release. I've still got one of mine from back in the AUS-8 era. The second and most recent Remote Release was a VG-10 model I'm pretty sure.

I always liked the REMOTE RELEASE much better than I did the Snap It model which was similar in many ways. Both were made for rappelling and white water rafting from what I was told. But both models had a variety of uses they were good for. But again I found the REMOTE RELEASE much easier to use and implement in tough situations.
Mine is also aus8. Vg10 would be a nice upgrade! I bought mine at geology field camp in summer ‘98 in Taos NM.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Full Serrated Edge Military
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hopweaver wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:19 am
Why on earth they quit making the C-36 Military model in full SE is one of those questions I would like an answer to some day. Because the 440V, full SE Military I had was a beast. The only full SE folder I ever owned and I still own and use that I rank just a bit better than the 440V, SE Military model is my Stainless handled RESCUE model out of the ATS-55 Era.

Both models are awesome and both are highly sought after. A Sprint Run of both of them would be in order in my humble opinion.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

J.D.Smith and the R .

The Renegade is a wicked looking knife too. The Starmate has some beautiful lines. It's a looker. Overall the Smith and the R would get the most carry time with me. The R's blade shape was all business when it comes to cutting.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:23 am
J.D.Smith and the R .

The Renegade is a wicked looking knife too. The Starmate has some beautiful lines. It's a looker. Overall the Smith and the R would get the most carry time with me. The R's blade shape was all business when it comes to cutting.
Thank you for your vote on the "JD Smith" model Mastiff :) For those who are not up to speed on many of the older Spyderco models ( 2002 & earlier) >> this is one model that would win beauty contests in just about any era that I remember.

The JD Smith is probably only beat out only by the C-60 Massad Ayoob folder for ergonomics of all Spyderco folders ever made in my humble opinion. It's one I love to use and to play with occasionally in my user rotation. It's another one of the GOLDEN ERA ( 1998-2004) models that is just about equally as good in SE as it is in PE.

The original skeletonized "R" model was my all time favorite of all the novelty/specialty type folders IMO. It was also one of the stalwarts of the ATS-34 era. Also the first run of the JD Smith was in the ATS-34 era as well.

For any new Spyderco users/collectors they really need to read this thread to get up to speed on many of the older, classic models. I thank all of you for your participation :)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Some of my favorites that seem to have been "forgotten" -

• Magnitude
• Junior
• Superleaf
• Zulu
• Leafstorm
• and one of my all time favorites - The Phoenix!

I was going to say the Rookie as well but it really seems like there are a number of people that still know about it and would like to own one. I still think a K390 G10 Rookie would be an awesome sprint run.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:45 am

• Magnitude
• Junior
• Superleaf
• Zulu
• Leafstorm

I was going to say the Rookie as well but it really seems like there are a number of people that still know about it and would like to own one. I still think a K390 G10 Rookie would be an awesome sprint run.
About two years ago I sold my old boss the last ZULU I had at that time and he really loves it. He also carries one of the ZDP-189 Delica models I sold him a while back but he claims he prefers the ZULU model for outdoor uses. Yeah that's one older models that you just don't hear much talk about anymore. My personal favorite Recurve bladed Spyder is the SPYKER but if they did a Spyderedged version of the ZULU I would be all over it.

The Junior was another one of the great designs by "Dialex" who used to frequent this forum a lot but I haven't heard from him in quite a while now. He also designed the Adventura as well. Yeah those are all interesting for sure
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:00 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:45 am

• Magnitude
• Junior
• Superleaf
• Zulu
• Leafstorm

About two years ago I sold my old boss the last ZULU I had at that time and he really loves it. He also carries one of the ZDP-189 Delica models I sold him a while back but he claims he prefers the ZULU model for outdoor uses. Yeah that's one older models that you just don't hear much talk about anymore. My personal favorite Recurve bladed Spyder is the SPYKER but if they did a Spyderedged version of the ZULU I would be all over it.

The Junior was another one of the great designs by "Dialex" who used to frequent this forum a lot but I haven't heard from him in quite a while now. He also designed the Adventura as well. Yeah those are all interesting for sure
I've always really liked the Spyker too.

"Dialex" also did the Battlestation, which never really got much attention but it is a really interesting design.
-Nick :bug-red
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:33 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Mini2white wrote:
Viele
Starmate
Flat horn
Hummingbird
Rookie
Ocelot
Laguiole

Thanks JD. Yes I should have typed Flat iron. It was very early in the morning and I was excited to be able to list some favourites.

Good to see you have some old catalogues. I have a few of the Ironstone ones on my website, and always looking for more.

regards
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:23 am
Hopweaver wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:19 am
Why on earth they quit making the C-36 Military model in full SE is one of those questions I would like an answer to some day. Because the 440V, full SE Military I had was a beast. The only full SE folder I ever owned and I still own and use that I rank just a bit better than the 440V, SE Military model is my Stainless handled RESCUE model out of the ATS-55 Era.

Both models are awesome and both are highly sought after. A Sprint Run of both of them would be in order in my humble opinion.
I agree. I still carry a 440V full serrated and would buy a new model serrated in a heartbeat.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The Native is far from forgotten, but you know I'm a pushover for a hollow grind and a swedge.
As long as we are talking about sprint runs, accordingly I would be a buyer of a sprint run celebrating
the early generation Native C41BK. Pure eye candy. The knurling is a bonus.

Picture by xceptl on Blade Forums 2008.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:35 pm
The Native is far from forgotten, but you know I'm a pushover for a hollow grind and a swedge.
As long as we are talking about sprint runs, accordingly I would be a buyer of a sprint run celebrating
the early generation Native C41BK. Pure eye candy. The knurling is a bonus.

Picture by xceptl on Blade Forums 2008.
Glad you mentioned the older, Golden Made Native model. Because just to look at that GOLDEN made Native it kind of looks simple and boring to some degree but when you use one really hard on a brutal job it's amazing how well it holds up. The NATIVE has truly become a flagship model over the years and has earned respect.

I would love to someday seem them make a "Power Native">> a Native model that just could not be destroyed. It's close to that description already. But a "Power Native" model would sure appeal to people who have extremely hard and brutal jobs.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Jot Singh Khalsa
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

Second the Jot Singh Khalsa and my first ever spyderco, the Wenger in ATS-34. Man I miss that knife.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Has anyone mentioned the Pre Diver Yet?

How much can a Koala bear?