About the swayback pocket clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

About the swayback pocket clip

Post by kobold »

I am buying this knife for its world class blade and comfy ti handle and usually don't care about pocket clips all that much.

But I watched a few swayback videos and most reviewers endlessly agonize about the pocket clip and how it should be a deep carry wireclip.. It feels like they are making pocket clip reviews not knife reviews :-)

Anyway, my copy is still in the mail, so I have no experience about the ergonomics, but I think that a deep carry wire clip would suck ergonomically, and that the present one is a bad fit in terms of Slysz design heritage.. so, if there ever will be another Swayback iteration, Spyderco should maybe consider that other type of wire clip, the one we have on the Manix 2 lw. Would be the perfect match imho.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
mikey177

Re: About the swayback pocket clip

Post by mikey177 »

After a year of making do with the stock clip, I finally relented and got an MXG clip for the Swayback. Although I found the stock clip acceptable, this aftermarket clip with a flatter profile makes the knife feel more comfortable in hand.
Attachments
swayback mxg.jpg
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

I find the stock clip comfortable and it works well on the model. I don't get all the hate for it, but I do understand people's love for the wire clip. For the way this one is held, the less deep carry clip seems to not give me many hot spots. It's the same clip as on the smock
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

This is good to know, thanks. I put a Lynch clip on mine but I still think it sits a bit proud. I may consider this.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sometimes I think some guy on YT dislikes something and then everyone else decides to climb on the bandwagon and complain just for the sake of complaining. I'll admit that I was disappointed when the Swayback came out with the hourglass clip instead of the wire one. Once I got a Swayback the clip that comes on it works just fine. Only reason I changed mine is because a couple other members posted pics of their knives with this MX Gear clip and I think it looks much better. Now that I have on I think it feels better too. I think the shape and length of the clip works better in my hand

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:09 pm
...I think it looks much better. Now that I have on I think it feels better too. I think the shape and length of the clip works better...

The clip that should have come on the Swayback.

Edit to add: Picture...make better.

Last edited by Airlsee on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sometimes I think some guy on YT dislikes something and then everyone else decides to climb on the bandwagon and complain just for the sake of complaining. I'll admit that I was disappointed when the Swayback came out with the hourglass clip instead of the wire one. Once I got a Swayback the clip that comes on it works just fine. Only reason I changed mine is because a couple other members posted pics of their knives with this MX Gear clip and I think it looks much better. Now that I have on I think it feels better too. I think the shape and length of the clip works better in my hand

Yep, great looking pocket clip right there. :')

(Except of course, this one's set up for poor ol' leftie me :winking-tongue )
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Something simple like the Slayback clip would have been a nice look.

Considering the price of the knife, something better than the standard is needed.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:17 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
...I think it looks much better. Now that I have on I think it feels better too. I think the shape and length of the clip works better...

The clip that should have come on the Swayback.
IDK, I can understand why Spyderco would want to use the same clips on the majority of their models. The hourglass clip works well and it seems like when they go with some designer clip (Drunken) people complain even more about that. I think there'd be a lot less complaining if may they did a Ti version of the hourglass clip so it at least matches the knife a little better. I feel the same about the Paysan. Once again the hourglass clip works just fine. It even feels pretty good in my hand but for $560 I'd rather have something that goes with the knife a little better
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:31 pm
Yep, great looking pocket clip right there. :')
I remember that you and Spydergirl88 (I think) both posted pics of that clip and I ordered one soon after. It is a great match
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The Swayback was under-development for like 5 years. Then they slapped a shiny spoon clip on it.
So it goes.