Hanan Detent Tune-Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Hanan Detent Tune-Up

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tonight I was going through my Drawer-O-Knives just kind of looking for something I haven't given much attention to. I found one...my Hanan. One of the reasons I haven't carried the Hanan much is because the detent was pretty weak and it didn't flip very well. I mean...it flipped good if I used sufficient force on the flipper tab due to the new style bearing system. Problem is I get so used to using my other flippers that have much stronger detents that, when I'd pick up the Hanan after not using it for awhile, I'd apply too little of pressure on the flipper and the blade would only come out about half way. It was fine after I got used to it again but it still kind of bothered me. I could also shake the blade out fairly easily. So tonight I finally got around to correcting the issue...

When I started taking it apart I was impressed by the all the little details that went in to making this knife. The Ti bolsters and scales appear to me numbered to the liner. Also note the locating pins.

While I had the knife apart I was planning on replacing the detent ball with a ceramic one. But it appears to already have a ceramic one. It's dark like the ceramic balls I have on hand. There was also no deformation that I could see under magnification. I could be wrong but I decided to leave it alone. I can always inspect it again sometime later on and replace if necessary. Also check out the lock bar

I used my handy little cone-shaped diamond bit held in a pin vise and started to remove material from the hole the detent ball rides in. I kept checking how deep the detent ball sat in the hole as I went along. I re-assembled and tested. It was much improved but decided to take it apart again and open the hole up a little more. When I re-assembled the second time I decided to leave it for now and use it for awhile to see how I like it. It's definitely a lot better than it was. It fires much better yet the detent isn't so strong it hurts your finger. I can still shake the blade out but it takes a lot of tries and almost throwing my arm out to get it to open. I'm calling it good. Time to start carrying it and using it more

Some people don't care for recurve blades and I don't usually like them either. I did some cutting on a small hardwood block and the recurve didn't seem to cause any issues. I also gave it few strokes on the Sharpmaker that didn't seem like a big deal either. If I ever decide to reprofile the edge I'll use my 1/2" Moldmasters. So I don't think sharpening it will be the issue I thought it would.

All and all I'm glad I went ahead and picked up a Hanan when the went on sale after being discontinued. I can tell a lot went into the design and manufacture. So it was well worth it IMO. BTW, I found a few dealers that still have them in stock. National knives has them on sale at a very reasonable price too :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
roxette

Re: Hanan Detent Tune-Up

Post by roxette »

Good job :)

I’m Taiwanese

I think ours Taichung city factory work nicely
Most times

And Sorry my English is too bad
archangel

Post by archangel »

I learned from this forum how to improve the action by deepening the hole some time ago, and even bought some micro tools to do the digging. But then I found the best technique to flip the Hanan, and it is now no problem at all for me - so I kept it untouched. Yes, it's still possible to shake deploy the blade, but I don't really consided it a serious risk. Just never drop your knife whatsoever! ;)

I'm happy for you that your "intervention" worked so well for you! :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

archangel wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:59 am
I learned from this forum how to improve the action by deepening the hole some time ago, and even bought some micro tools to do the digging. But then I found the best technique to flip the Hanan, and it is now no problem at all for me - so I kept it untouched. Yes, it's still possible to shake deploy the blade, but I don't really consided it a serious risk. Just never drop your knife whatsoever! ;)

I'm happy for you that your "intervention" worked so well for you! :)
Whether or not I can shake a blade out (or how difficult it is to do) has never really been a concern for me. For me it's more of a gauge to determine how strong or weak the detent is. Like I said, my Hanan actually flipped open fine when I used the right technique. But it's always a turn off for me to pick up a knife and have to remember that I have to use a certain technique with it. I pulled the knife out of the drawer in pushed the flipper tab and there wasn't enough force to open it all the way. Not a deal breaker but it bothers me enough that I went ahead and did the mod. It didn't take long to do the work and the result is well worth the effort. It's a nice little knife and I'll carry it more now that it's improved
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
archangel

Post by archangel »

It is a true gentlemen's folder, small and handsome. S30V is a good steel, titanium never gets boring, nor does a comp lock. The clip is pretty and functional, and the blade is beautifully shaped. Like you I'm happy that I picked one up, even better that it was at a very good price.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Krrakt

Post by Krrakt »

What is that little tool and bits you have there?