First Cruwear came today

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M Sea

First Cruwear came today

Post by M Sea »

B56246F6-5A40-470E-91D5-FDB98DF45A63.jpeg
4F933260-9012-404D-8D3C-5AE76F084684.jpeg
First CRUWEAR knife I have owned, don’t know a ton about it. How does it stack up with S30V? This came from DLT, lighting fast. At the suggestion of a forum member I scooped it up and am very glad I did.
Abyss_Fish

Re: First Cruwear came today

Post by Abyss_Fish »

My understanding is it's one of the most well rounded steels out there. It'll be more ductile, tougher, and hold an edge longer, than s30v.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Awe what a beauty! Congratulations! Hopefully I will get mine soon too!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Thanks guys, its a sweet little slicer. Very happy, and DLT got it here in less than 24 hours, amazing.
EB553A50-BDC1-4D2E-8B85-90CF73FC7657.jpeg
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I find edge retention to be on par with S30V, corrosion resistance to be just slightly lower than S30V and toughness to be much higher than S30V.

I like Cruwear for its balance of qualities as well as it’s ease of sharpening and it’s ability to handle accidental contact with hard objects like stone or metal.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Sounds like an awesome steel. s30v has always been just fine for me so this will be nice to have and switch it up a little.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Awesome - DLT is so fast! I also like cruwear quite a bit: tougher than s30v but just as easy to sharpen. If you've ever had a fixed blade in 3v, this is a step up in edge retention from that. It does seem that edge retention varies a bit depending on how hard spyderco runs it - most of their Cruwear has been 62-63rc it seems, but the Shaman last year was run softer at closer to 60rc. I'll be interested to see if anyone tests the hardness on these blades.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mr. Pick

Post by Mr. Pick »

I'm slowly re-buying all of my favorite Spyderco's in Cruwear as they become available. Toughness is important to me as I have a tendency to use knives in ways they weren't always designed to be used... (don't tell anyone) Very tough steel, and though it is considered to be "semi-stainless" I haven't had any of my 4 Cruwear knives show any corrosion so far, and it sharpens great. My DLT Delica like yours is "out for delivery" now....
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:41 pm
Awesome - DLT is so fast! I also like cruwear quite a bit: tougher than s30v but just as easy to sharpen. If you've ever had a fixed blade in 3v, this is a step up in edge retention from that. It does seem that edge retention varies a bit depending on how hard spyderco runs it - most of their Cruwear has been 62-63rc it seems, but the Shaman last year was run softer at closer to 60rc. I'll be interested to see if anyone tests the hardness on these blades.
Thank you for the info. I have had a fixed blade in 3v so thats a cool comparison. Thanks again for the heads up on this Delica. So glad I grabbed one. DLT is awesome, super cool folks over there and the rewards help alot.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Wait till you sharpen it, that’s when you’ll really get a feel for it & fall in love. Amazing feedback on the stones. They don’t call it “a sharpener’s steel” for nothing. It gets scary sharp, very easy.

And it’s tough as ****.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Mr. Pick wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:45 pm
I'm slowly re-buying all of my favorite Spyderco's in Cruwear as they become available. Toughness is important to me as I have a tendency to use knives in ways they weren't always designed to be used... (don't tell anyone) Very tough steel, and though it is considered to be "semi-stainless" I haven't had any of my 4 Cruwear knives show any corrosion so far, and it sharpens great. My DLT Delica like yours is "out for delivery" now....
Very cool, thanks for the info and hope yours gets there soon. From DLT, I know it will!!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Haunted House wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:35 pm
Wait till you sharpen it, that’s when you’ll really get a feel for it & fall in love. Amazing feedback on the stones. They don’t call it “a sharpener’s steel” for nothing. It gets scary sharp, very easy.

And it’s tough as ****.
Very cool. I have a Sharpmaker but learned young how to freehand on a stone so thats great.