Expansion of the culinary line with spy-27?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Expansion of the culinary line with spy-27?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Hia, someone who cooks for a living here.
I got a little excited when I heard some of the performance characteristics of spy-27, specifically the fine edge holding. I haven't really heard of any steels prioritizing that attribute specifically, and it's absolutely the most important attribute for kitchen knife steels. And while Sg2/R2 do great, mostly through shear force of will (they're very high ductility steels, hard to even dent an edge let alone chip it), I'd be extremely interested to see how spy-27 preforms. To be fair I'd be interested in any "out of the ordinary" steels in kitchen knives. The US and European markets seem to be stuck in the 90s with a series of 440c lookalikes, and while japan is way far ahead, they tend to stick with the same few Hitachi steels.

I have used lc200n a few times in kitchen tasks, post about that will be next week sometime. Let's just say it's a good performer...

So... Hey Sal! Are there any plans to expand the culinary line?

And for y'all,
  • How do you guys feel about current kitchen knife steels?
  • What type of kitchen knife designs appeal to you (handles, gyuto vs santoku, etc)?
  • What steels other than Spy-27 would you be interested in seeing in culinary knives?
  • Are you interested in the culinary line at all...?

Thanks for listening to my weekly Ted Talk. Have a good week you wonderful people :spyder:
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
steelcity16

Re: Expansion of the culinary line with spy-27?

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd like a big, thick, heavy, 8" chefs knife (but having the option for a 7", 9", and 10" would be cool too) similar to the classic German-made Henckels/Wusthofs that I use now, but with extra coarse Peel Ply G10 slab handles (Blurple would be cool!) to reduce slipping when cutting up greasy/oily foods. Maybe a coarse canvas Micarta as well?

For steel, something that is stainless or close to it (like Cruwear), tough, and easy to sharpen and hone. I think AEB-L would be my top choice. I'd like to try Cruwear too though in a Chef's knife. SPY-27 is intriguing to me as well, so I am interested to get my hands on some, hopefully in a Military model. Oh, and LC200N would be interesting to try in a full size 8" Chef's knife format as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

My plan is to buy 2 Spy27 mules. I'm going to attempt to grind one up into a more kitchen friendly shape, make some scales (or something that resembles scales) and test it out. Then I'm going to learn from my mistakes and make another to give as a gift. If i fail... my backup plan is Spy27 bottle openers. :)
•• Beau
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I would love to see some traditional type cutlery in good steel at GOOD hardness for a reasonable price. I get so frustrated seeing ok steel but hardened to 55-58 HRC... That being said LC200N (which seems to be 55-58 HRC) would be fantastic! I'd love a santoku or 8" chef in that.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Sure, I’d like to see more use of different steels in the kitchen knives, or any of the fixed blade lineup, really.

I use a damascus laminated VG10 funayuki, nakiri and petty knife mainly.
And a serrated bread knife I bought at a garage sale, which seems to be a ripoff of the Spyderco design.

I like ambidextrous, western, Sabatier style handles. I like the Spyderco handles on the Cook’s knives I have and the Z-Cut handles too.