This is disappointing...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

This is disappointing...

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I come into work this morning and my buddy shows me these "Spyderco" knives he got. He knew they were knockoffs, but they looked like the real thing. He thought it was worth a try to spend $20 on a "PM2" instead of spending $160+. I explained to him not to keep these kinds of companies in business by buying these knockoff knives. So, bad enough they are blatant rip offs of the PM2, but as you can see in the pics, they can't even get the blade itself to be consistent! Look at that odd sweep on the blue one! :confused: They are HEAVILY oiled, terrible action and centering. I'm going to go hunt down a maintenance guy and see if they have a Torx bit set so I can take it apart and see what their using on the inside. I can't tell what kind of washers it has.

To me though, and I don't know if it's common or what, but selling them in Spyderco boxes that look just like the ones we all get, for some reason that kind of made me even more mad about all this.

Resized_20200918_081737.jpeg
Resized_20200918_081753.jpeg
Resized_20200918_081846.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ez556

Re: This is disappointing...

Post by Ez556 »

Lets hope the knockoffs stay bad, it's when you can't tell the difference that you have a big problem.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

That blue one is the fakiest of all fake Spydercos I ever saw
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

This is disappointing. Fortunately, these knockoffs are terrible and easy to spot, but I've seen some that were really good copies. Here's to these rip-off businesses going out of business.
--Jeremy
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

When you take it apart, hopefully all the threads strip and handles crack.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I wish I knew he was bringing these in because I would have carried a PM2 today to really compare them. I have another friend here that bought one of the Gonzo knockoffs a year or two ago. I remember that one's quality being better than these...and atleast that didn't come in a Spyderco box or have the Spyderco logo etched on the blade and pocket clip :mad:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wow that PM2 blade is so...Persianlike. Lol!

On a more serious note, at least they still cannot get the blade aesthetics right. I agree with Ez556, it's gonna be a real problem when it their qc is on a level that you cannot tell the fake from the real ones anymore. I know many knockoffs already are hard to tell from the legit but they still have problems with consistency; hoping that the knockoffs won't reach that level of consistency.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
sal

Post by sal »

Not only is it disappointing that the Chinese counterfeiters make them, but it's disappointing that customers all over the world knowingly buy them.

sal
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:35 am
Not only is it disappointing that the Chinese counterfeiters make them, but it's disappointing that customers all over the world knowingly buy them.

sal
I agree. Buying Chinese knives is one thing (I have Civivis, an Artisan, have a Sharp By Design Evo Typhoon made by Reate on order, along with my Chinese Spydercos and Kershaws) but buying known clones, fakes, or counterfeits is just wrong.

I understand that some people think that some knives are overpriced or are just too expensive for them, but there are affordable knives that are great quality out there, with great warranties. Why even bother with unknown quality knives with no support? I just don't understand.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

So true, Sal.

There isn’t a slightest part of me that wants to save money at the expense of unfair play, whether it’s salaries, working conditions, environmental responsibility or IP. People need to wake up, be more responsible and look into the consequences of their actions.
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

That is why I will not buy from anyone else besides the authorized retailers because I don’t know enough to be able to tell! Hopefully as I purchase more knives I will learn enough to be able to spot a fake like I would with designer purses and shoes! But for now I will stick with reputable retailers. Thanks for sharing that so newbie like me don’t accidentally buy and support the fakes!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kerrcobra wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:55 am
This is disappointing. Fortunately, these knockoffs are terrible and easy to spot, but I've seen some that were really good copies. Here's to these rip-off businesses going out of business.
When I got interested in knives again a few years ago a well-meaning friend sent me a fake PM2. It actually looked really good to the untrained eye but the action was horrible. It couldn't be adjusted to be even close to a real PM2. When I was able to handle my first authentic PM2 in a local knife store I couldn't believe how different it felt. Even the G10 felt different even though they both looked very similar. The action on the real knife was so much better too. I ended up buying my first real PM2 off the BF Exchange a short time after for less than $100 (DLC S30V/Black G10). A few years later and I have 6 authentic PM2s (had 7) and bought one for my son.

One of things I hate most about people buying the fakes is that (I assume) they think they're like the real thing because they look the same. They're not even close IMO
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I despise people showing them off or selling them on forums etc as “clones”.

They’re fakes. Period. Would the buyers be happy with fake tech? fake medicines?? fake brake-pads???
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

A trailing point PM2?? 🤔 🤦‍♀️ Oy!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Wouldn't it take some pretty good revenue and machinery to try and copy something like this? Exploiting the gullibility of stupid people should never be encouraged or rewarded....

I did buy a fake iPod once in Cambodia and the sellers where quite convincing, boy was I stupid :o
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What surprises me is that the factories making these don't just make their own knives. They obviously have the tools and skill to make at least halfway decent $20 gas station knives. And those would sell too (for similar prices) and build a brand.

I've bought some fairly decent China-made knives, running their own brand, with their own designs, with actual makers marks from the (Chinese) designers. That seems like a much better way to run a business.

I'd say that supporting the ethical Chinese manufacturers is at least as important as boycotting the forgeries--and boycotting the forgeries isn't hard because by and large they are very poor imitations.

In other words, why buy a fake PM2 when you could buy a real Tenacious?
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

My boss showed up to work with a ganzo one time for a Xmas gift exchange, I just smiled held my tongue and said, nice knife.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I don't buy fakes, clones, or any sort of imitation; it's one thing I will not compromise on. Seeing people buy fakes really bothers me, especially when the excuses come.

"I wanted to try a PM2, but didn't feel like spending X amount of money."

"It's a good way to see if I like the model, without spending a lot, in case I don't like it."

The worst of it are the YouTube reviewers, who promote fakes, and suggest there's little to no difference between a fake and an authentic, which is mind-blowing. Even if it's true, it's theft. They focus on value, not ethics. I feel like that's extremely irresponsible, and if someone was ripping off their videos to make money, I'm sure their opinions would change. I doubt they would tell you that stealing videos is a good way for someone to get into YouTube video-making.

On a less cynical note, some people just don't make the connection, and therefore don't understand why it might be an issue. Luckily, these people are usually at least somewhat receptive of advice about avoiding fakes. Maybe some day fakes will be regulated in every country.

Also, that blue one is so bad I laughed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

"I just wanted to try it out so I got the cheap one"

Is like saying

"I'm gonna test drive this kit car built off a Pontiac Fiero because I might want to buy a Ferrari if I like it".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Those beautiful spray paint coated blades though
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v