Salt knives pivot lube ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Salt knives pivot lube ?

Post by cabfrank »

It's like Frank's Hot Sauce. You can put that **** on everything.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

If you're comfortable with disassembly a waterproof grease. Tungsten disulfide is also a favorite of mine.
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I picked up frog lube years ago because i hated the smell of clp, and a vendor at a gun show sold me on the smell. It's a great alternative but can't get gunky in cold weather if not used sparingly. I particularly like to condition the blades with it by leaving them in the sun with a coating of the paste until it liquifies and the blade is warm. The porosity seems to promote a nice smooth layer on the blade when wiped clean that is also easier to clean up with the next use. I'm a fan
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

Failure to succeed in posting a single time.....
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
johnson

Post by johnson »

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.
I Only use a little lube if the knife was disassembled and I'm putting it back together again.
Maybe once a week or when ever it's needed I'll put a small drop lube on the tang where it operates
against the lock bar. This has always worked fine for me and I was just curious about other peoples methods.
Thanks.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

James Y wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:38 pm
I don’t really lube my Salts. The only time the action has ever felt a bit less smooth (other than some grit) is after I’ve had one immersed in the water for a long time; the FRN seems like it temporarily swells a bit from submersion in water, so the action feels less sharp/less smooth for a while. Then after the moisture dries out, everything’s fine again. I don’t know if anybody else has ever experienced that?

I think FRN is waterproof so I don't think that it would swell from water absorption, but that compromise in the knife action could be from other factors...might be microscopic debris suspended in the water stuck between the pivots?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

could it be thermal coefficients that make the different materials expand and retract to different degrees? Water is a pretty effective cooling agent.
Just a thought, but I can't really say I've noticed this phenomenon to such a degree that I've given it any thought before. And we have pretty cool water around here :-)
James Y

Post by James Y »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:34 am
James Y wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:38 pm
I don’t really lube my Salts. The only time the action has ever felt a bit less smooth (other than some grit) is after I’ve had one immersed in the water for a long time; the FRN seems like it temporarily swells a bit from submersion in water, so the action feels less sharp/less smooth for a while. Then after the moisture dries out, everything’s fine again. I don’t know if anybody else has ever experienced that?

I think FRN is waterproof so I don't think that it would swell from water absorption, but that compromise in the knife action could be from other factors...might be microscopic debris suspended in the water stuck between the pivots?
You may be right, I don’t know. I’ve experienced that also with my older Delica models (with AUS-8 or ATS-55 blade, rivet pin construction, and without liners) when I used them a lot and cleaned the entire knife with warm water and dish soap; afterwards, the action wouldn’t be smooth until after the entire knife had time to fully dry. So in those cases, it doesn’t seem to have been microscopic debris in the pivot area, because after being left to fully dry, the action returned to normal.

Jim