Long Term Knife Storage Corrosion Protection

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Long Term Knife Storage Corrosion Protection

Post by steelcity16 »

For those who have safe queens, are you using anything to help prevent corrosion while in storage? Especially on steels like M4 and 52100 which rust if you look at them wrong.

What would be the best oil/lube that won't dry out and get all gummy/gunky and is safe for scale materials like FRN, Micarta, FRCP, and G10? I assume most oils should be safe for the scale materials and safe for coatings like TiCN, PVD, and DLC, right?

Anyone have any experience with Eezox?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
driftingfir

Re: Long Term Knife Storage Corrosion Protection

Post by driftingfir »

Typically I'll use mineral oil. It does a fairly good job of protecting against corrosion. From what I've found it doesn't turn into a gel, and doesn't gunk up the pivot.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Most of my knives probably qualify as "long term storage" so I have a silica gel packet in all their boxes in hopes that it'll absorb any moisture that may find its way into the boxes. I also leave all my knives in their original bags when they come in them. I have a couple knives like my 52100 Military that are more prone to rust, I'll wipe them down with a very thin coating of Vaseline before putting them away. I haven't found any rust yet and most of my knives go several years without being touched. One important thing to note is, if you've handled a knife you should probably thoroughly wipe down the blade and remove any fingerprints/oils/etc from the blade before storing them (or before coating them/storing them).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You may want to check out Zerust VCI products. They have broad range of corrosion inhibitors and can easily be found at Amazon or other retailers.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Combination of edc-i and silica packets. I had a maxamet native stored that way for months without corrosion. Just in a knife roll too.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Collectors of carbon steel knives that will be stored for long periods without being used, generally use a thin coat of Renaissance Wax, after making sure the blade is cleaned properly.

It was formulated for the British Museum in London, and I understand it is what they generally use on metal, leather and wood items.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Eezox is your friend! ;)

I’ve used it for well over a decade on guns, knives, reloading press, tools, chrome wheels …

It’s not much of a lubricant but I doubt you’ll find a better rust inhibitor.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

I use Rem Oil if it doesn't need to be food safe or mineral oil if it does. In all scenarios I'll apply a couple of drops of Nano Oil or KPL into the pivot.

Sometimes I'll use EDCi but but now prefer products that dont need to be rubbed in... with oils I can just wipe it on and then wipe it off, it's easier.

I'm always looking for better options.

This looks interesting:
Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:02 pm
Eezox is your friend! ;)

I’ve used it for well over a decade on guns, knives, reloading press, tools, chrome wheels …

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bloke wrote:
Eezox is your friend! ;)

I can't speak for it on knives. But, I use Eezox on all of my guns.

It's the best.

For knives, I keep it simple with mineral oil.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SubMicron wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:26 pm
This looks interesting:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:37 pm
Bloke wrote:
Eezox is your friend! ;)

I can't speak for it on knives. But, I use Eezox on all of my guns.

It's the best.

For knives, I keep it simple with mineral oil.
Fellas, I use it solely for rust prevention. For example when my Rex45 Military arrived before using it I pulled it apart and gave the blade a good wet coat of Eezox and hung the blade in the sun to “dry” for a bit, I wiped it down then did the same again and reassembled the knife with a ultra light smear of grease in pivot and on washers.

After that I just use the knife. What Eezox is forward of the pivot (on the blade) wipes off but leaves what blade I can’t see coated and protected.

Vivi, if you’re reading this you should give Eezox a go on your liners at least ... going on pictures you’ve posted in the past. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Japanese Camellia oil for the blade and a small drop of Caramba for the pivot.
Storage in zipper bags with silica.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Clean with WD40 and wipe down with mineral oil, then store. If I want minty fresh blades, I'd use Froglube. Mineral oil's way, way more cheaper though and works well in our tropical humid climate for storage. I'd love to try EDCi but getting one is a hit and miss these days.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Silica packs and a wax-based product are probably the best options, but I've had good luck with long-term storage of my woods blades, using tuff glide.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I used to live right by the Pacific ocean - it killed my motorcycle engine FYI, but to keep my knife collection rust free I purchased a water-tight storage case and put a container of dessicated epsom salt in it (basically put epsom salt in the oven till it turns into a dry powder. Much cheaper than damp rid). I then coated each of my knives in tuffglide and the ones I was particularly worried about I wrapped in mineral oil soaked cloth. Then put them all in my dry box. A little overboard maybe but it worked in a room where there was ocean spray coming in the window sometimes.