Mandatory Spyderedges: Who Else Agrees?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Mandatory Spyderedges: Who Else Agrees?

Post by JD Spydo »

Over the years there have been models pop up to where many of us here on the Forum have lamented that some of these particular models were never made available in Spyderedge. I personally have been astounded that there have been a few models I feel would have sold several more units in SE>> The SUPERHAWK immediately comes to mind. A few others that also come to mind that I very much wanted to see in SE have been the ULIZE, The C-111 Captain, Breeden RESCUE, Karahawk and the Sprint Run Dodo models just to name a few.

I could go on for a while but I think most of you get the point. Evil D and I have discussed how we feel that the ULIZE model would have been a beast in SE. I just know in my gut that a recurve model would really be super aggressive in SE. So many people over the past 5 years have wondered as to why the C-111 Captain never got offered in SE. Oh I know that Spyderco is trying to juggle sales, demand and a receptive market for such models>> but some of these models just scream for TEETH.

Many of you all probably have models that you feel should have been offered up in SE. Let's talk about what makes an ideal Spyderedged model. Also let's talk about the hopes of future Sprint Runs of SE models. The Spyderedge is on an uptick and let's try to boost it even more.
JRinFL

Re: Mandatory Spyderedges: Who Else Agrees?

Post by JRinFL »

Mandatory Spyderedges? That's a hard NO from me. While I believe some models would have been best in a Spyderedge only, I'll leave the business decisions to the those who have built a very successful business.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’m for it
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't know about mandatory, but I do think most models should at least have SE versions, even if they're understandably lower production.

I would also be very happy if Spyderco just offered a SE grinding service. I know there are other options but I would greatly prefer Spyderco themselves doing the work. If this were available they'd get a bunch of my money just from sending knives in that I already have, let alone paying a bit extra for future purchases to have them ground in. This could even make them more money in the long run than simply offering a SE alternative at a standard price since it's a service that's above and beyond the standard purchase of the knife. In a perfect world we'd just have SE options for everything but I understand how that may not be feasible for business.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:12 am
I would also be very happy if Spyderco just offered a SE grinding service. I know there are other options but I would greatly prefer Spyderco themselves doing the work. If this were available they'd get a bunch of my money just from sending knives in that I already have, let alone paying a bit extra for future purchases to have them ground in. This could even make them more money in the long run than simply offering a SE alternative at a standard price since it's a service that's above and beyond the standard purchase of the knife. In a perfect world we'd just have SE options for everything but I understand how that may not be feasible for business.
seconding this. Not everyone wants/needs spyderedge, but those of us bitten by the performance bug want to see it on a lot of stuff that comes plain edge. I'd pay a good amount to have the pros at spyderco put one on for me.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Evil D wrote:
I don't know about mandatory, but I do think most models should at least have SE versions, even if they're understandably lower production.

That would be awesome. I'm sure there'd have to be limitations on it - such as which steels could be serrated and how it'd affect your warranty - but I know there are a few in my collection that I'd have done if spyderco offered the service.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:

Yeah I kind of need to back-peddle on the term "Mandatory" and perhaps change that to "optional" :o I'm actually a bit embarrassed that I didn't think that one through a little more :o >> Do keep in mind folks I've been very heavily medicated since my shoulder surgery I just had Monday, three days ago. Some of this stuff they are giving me would numb up a Clydesdale Horse :eek:

Yeah that was probably more "wishful thinking" or "how would I do it if I ran the company" :o We'll just put that word "Mandatory" aside and replace with "optional". :o Or maybe a marketing term like "Special Edition". Because with the upcoming C-60 Ayoob being offered in SE & PE both you could fairly label it a "Special Edition".

Also your idea of "grinding service" to be able to custom grind serrations into our favorite Spyders. But in one sense I would still kind of like to appeal to Spyderco to re-consider making some of these PE models into SE Sprint Runs at least.

I do hope I cleared the air a bit. This recovery hasn't been an easy one at all :o
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

No worries.

When my Mother in Law was recovering from a surgery, she was on some strong stuff. You should have seen the huge pile of stuff she ordered from QVC and had no recollection of ordering. Thankfully, they took it all back.

Feel better soon!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

C102 Dialex Adventura. I think anything with a recurve would do good with some teeth.
•• Beau
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Joe as you and I have discussed before, I'd love too see a run of MuleTeam blades done up with teeth! Seeing a run of Temperance models would be nice too.

...develop a 3.5 to 4 inch fixed hawkbill while they're at it too :D

Get to feeling better soon my friend.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve always wondered why the FFG E4 and D4 have never come in SE. Well, I guess I’m pretty sure why: There probably wasn’t much demand in the market for it. Since I got my SE Endela, I can only imagine that the FFG E4 and D4 models would benefit from an SE option as well.

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

In the kitchen I very often reach for the K11 SE cook’s knife out of preference. Everybody should be made to try SE at least once, along with decent shoes and good whisky, although not necessarily at the same time :D
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'd like to see a FFG Delica in SE, or perhaps a Salt 2 FFG in LC200N SE (and PE and CE). I'd really like to see more knives in combo edge though. I get that CE is probably the least popular edge type, but there's something about a FFG CE laser. Best of both worlds in my opinion. I hope they make a CE K390 Delica.

Also, I'd love to see the Lil Matriarch in SE. I know it came in SE at one point, but I'd like to see it come back - maybe even with a waved Emerson opener. Speaking of Emerson openers, I'd like to see a SE D4 in that configuration too (I don't know if that's ever been done, but I've never seen one).

This kind of jumped all over the place, and I hope I don't derail the thread.
--Jeremy
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Not a whole lot of English words I like less than “mandatory,” so no.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just my personal preference of course, but at latest since I got my Endela SE for me the Spyderedge should be the default option and PE just the second. At least in ffg models in not too hard steels.

SE in my use keeps being superior over PE in most tasks and at least not worse in any (and I'd say I use my folders in quite a variety of tasks).

And there are models/steels that would totally lend themselves towards SE: Manix 2 LW in BD1N, Endura and Delica ffg in VG10, Chaparral in XHP...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:02 am
C102 Dialex Adventura. I think anything with a recurve would do good with some teeth.
I always like the ADVENTURA model from our good Brother "Dialex" who we haven't heard from much lately. But I've got another Spyderco Recurve to offer up for consideration for a full Spyderedge. It wasn't too long after that model was discontinued that Spyderco and Kershaw did that one joint venture called the SPYKER. I think that model would be like a small chain saw in SE :cool:
But Evil D and I both won't rest or shut up until we see the ULIZE model with TEETH. But I'll admit that I still like the SPYKER just a tad bit better because of it's super rigid construction. But they are both super good recurve blades and would both do well in full SE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:40 am
No worries.

When my Mother in Law was recovering from a surgery, she was on some strong stuff. You should have seen the huge pile of stuff she ordered from QVC and had no recollection of ordering. Thankfully, they took it all back.

Feel better soon!
No Brother your point is well taken. I should not have used the word "Mandatory">> it doesn't even have a good sound to it :o Not to mention they had me on the operating table for almost 3 hours and I don't think I have all that anesthesia compounds out of my system yet.

And I most certainly don't want to offend Mr. Glesser and staff in any way, shape or form. I'm just raising the point that there were most definitely some great models that for whatever reason just got overlooked. And if some of these interesting models get to have a second time around I want to see some of them get their chance in SE.

I will say one thing though :rolleyes: It sure got a lot of people's attention :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:26 am
Joe as you and I have discussed before, I'd love too see a run of MuleTeam blades done up with teeth! Seeing a run of Temperance models would be nice too.

...develop a 3.5 to 4 inch fixed hawkbill while they're at it too :D

Get to feeling better soon my friend.
Great point!! because I've said several times that we need more Spyderco fixed blades in full SE. And you just mentioned a model very near and dear to my heart and that being the TEMPERANCE 1 model. That was the first really serious fixed blade I bought from Spyderco that you could get in PE & SE both. I still use both my PE & SE TEMP 1 models quite a bit in the kitchen and on any outdoor ventures I go on. I even scratched my head as to why they didn't at least offer up a few of the TEMP 2 model in SE. The TEMP 2 was a really nice fixed blade but I always liked the TEMP 1 better for some strange reason.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:04 am
Mandatory Spyderedges? That's a hard NO from me. While I believe some models would have been best in a Spyderedge only, I'll leave the business decisions to the those who have built a very successful business.
This. Spyderco has to remain a viable business. They adjust their offerings to efficiently meet customer demands. Why would we tie their hands?
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:03 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:02 am
I always like the ADVENTURA model from our good Brother "Dialex" who we haven't heard from much lately. But I've got another Spyderco Recurve to offer up for consideration for a full Spyderedge. It wasn't too long after that model was discontinued that Spyderco and Kershaw did that one joint venture called the SPYKER. I think that model would be like a small chain saw in SE :cool:
But Evil D and I both won't rest or shut up until we see the ULIZE model with TEETH. But I'll admit that I still like the SPYKER just a tad bit better because of it's super rigid construction. But they are both super good recurve blades and would both do well in full SE.
The Spyker is cool and all, but the Spyderedge Ulize is where it's at!
When you decide to start a Won't Shut Up thread for the Ulize... I'm in!
Maybe K390 Spyderedge Ulize with dark blue g10.
•• Beau