Spyderco karahawk lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matthew329

Spyderco karahawk lock

Postby Matthew329 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi I was wondering if any karahawk owners can say how secure the lock is, I was watching a cold steel karambit testing video and the karahawk failed on the first spinewack. I've never had a weak spyderco lockback but I was wondering if the karahawk lock maybe has issues. I was planning to buy one soon.

VooDooChild

Re: Spyderco karahawk lock

Postby VooDooChild » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 pm

I would assume that lock is mbc rated and is certainly strong enough.

I take alot of testing videos with a grain of salt, especially if done by a competitor. Its not unbiased.
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
... "The edge is a ghost"...

zuludelta

Postby zuludelta » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:47 am

Matthew329 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:47 pm
I was wondering if the karahawk lock maybe has issues.
I've owned a Karahawk (the CQI'd satin blade version, with the G10-reinforced finger ring) for close to two years now & I haven't had any issues with lock failure with general use as an EDC knife and as a work (warehouse) knife.

That being said, I have read a couple of anecdotes on this forum & others about the lock on the blacked-out version not exactly inspiring a lot of confidence. If I had to guess, that's probably due to the TiCN coating messing up the tolerances, which is an issue that will resolve itself with wear. That's just conjecture on my part, though, as I've never handled the blacked-out Karahawk.

I will also add, as someone who is somewhat familiar with the use of the karambit in the martial arts context, that there are certain techniques that you probably don't want to do with a folding karambit. Employing a spinning transition to an extended grip and using the spine of the blade to strike a target will probably induce a lock failure, regardless of the model or lock design. And it's just one of those less practical techniques anyway. Flashy & impressive, but not very useful. Personally, I think a folding karambit is best used with the standard reverse or forward grip slashes & thrusts, techniques where the likelihood of kinetic impacts to the spine of the blade is (relatively) minimal.
VooDooChild wrote: I would assume that lock is mbc rated and is certainly strong enough.
I don't think the Karahawk lock is MBC-rated but it's at least as secure as a Delica 4 mid-backlock (which is secure enough for basic SD techniques, IMHO). Of the current production folding knives made by Spyderco that are designed specifically for SD, I think the only ones that have been officially confirmed as meeting MBC standards in terms of lock strength are the Yojimbo 2, Chinook 4, P'kal, and Li'l Temperance 3 (recently discontinued, unfortunately). I imagine recent releases like the Yojumbo & the Canis are also MBC-rated, but I haven't read anything official on that score.

sal

Postby sal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”