The Age Old Question .... E4 or D4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

The Age Old Question .... E4 or D4

Post by xceptnl »

So I'm at an impass, I am ordering one of the new K390 models but I can't make up my mind between the Delica and Endura. Many will say get both but Disney is right around the corner and funds are only going to allow for one.

As a long time Spyderco fan/owner/user/collector I know the pros and cons of each as many forum members would obviously share. I love the think stock and slicey nature of the Delica (it's why I own so many) but the reach and additional blade length are something that has become a staple of my edc rotation (police, endura, military).

So, any unconventional reasons to choose one over the other?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Re: The Age Old Question .... E4 or D4

Post by Holland »

I would buy the delica, but bias aside, endura will probably allow you to use K390 to it's full potential
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Get the Endura because it’s almost like a compact Police 4 lightweight. That’s an unconventional reason, haha!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I would say if you have to ask, the Endura. I prefer the Delica but if you like larger then there is your answer. The Endela is coming, I’m tempted on that one. Alas I have enough for now.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Ez556 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:52 pm
Get the Endura because it’s almost like a compact Police 4 lightweight. That’s an unconventional reason, haha!
That's more like what I'm talking about. Also, just ordering the KW exclusive D4 in CTS-204p means I need to add an Endura to balance the equation. :D
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dan31 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:55 pm
I would say if you have to ask, the Endura. I prefer the Delica but if you like larger then there is your answer. The Endela is coming, I’m tempted on that one. Alas I have enough for now.
With blade stock that matches the Endura, the Endela doesn't really fill a need that I have discovered (yet).
*Landon*
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm having the same issue except it's D4 or D2 for me. I really like the Dragonfly and already have 3 or 4 but I just don't carry them that much. I find the Delica more optimal for what I like to carry on a regular basis. I've pretty much settled on the K390 Delica but I have several of those and at least one more hopefully coming. I guess I should probably just bite the bullet and sell one of each and pick up both in K390.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the handle of the delica isn't as comfortable to me and i'd prefer a longer reach with an upgraded steel, so i'd definitely go for the endura. the only reason i would ever consider the delica is for legal purposes, and even then, i'd probably go for a different model like the chaparral lw.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:09 pm
I'm having the same issue except it's D4 or D2 for me. I really like the Dragonfly and already have 3 or 4 but I just don't carry them that much. I find the Delica more optimal for what I like to carry on a regular basis. I've pretty much settled on the K390 Delica but I have several of those and at least one more hopefully coming. I guess I should probably just bite the bullet and sell one of each and pick up both in K390.
Don't get me started on the Drafonfly. I have 6 and don't need another, yet I really want one in K390. I guess it will depend on finances when they start to disappear from dealer shelves.
*Landon*
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

E4...it will do everything the Delica will do, but the reverse might not necessarily be true.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Technically, Delica is the correct answer. Only because the Endura isn't available yet.
•• Beau
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:10 pm
Technically, Delica is the correct answer. Only because the Endura isn't available yet.
I LOLed! Hahaha. Yes... Unless one derives more pleasure from delayed gratification. :p
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:01 pm
E4...it will do everything the Delica will do, but the reverse might not necessarily be true.
The Endura can never be the small size of the Delica. I know the Endura isn't that big but the reason I don't own one is I much prefer the size of the Delica. It's perfect for me. 3" is optimal for me. 3.5" blades are about as long as I'll carry.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

xceptnl wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:09 pm
Don't get me started on the Drafonfly. I have 6 and don't need another, yet I really want one in K390. I guess it will depend on finances when they start to disappear from dealer shelves.
The struggle is real! :) The good thing is these are a regular catalog items. So there should be more than one run
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:22 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:10 pm
I LOLed! Hahaha. Yes... Unless one derives more pleasure from delayed gratification. :p
Ha!... I did not see that response coming. Touche!
•• Beau
vivi

Post by vivi »

no question for me. endura fits my mitts, delica doesn't. both designs are great and if the ergonomics of each work for your grip - tough call indeed. I love the thin stock of the Delica and it really vanishes in the pocket, but I prefer the longer blade on the Endura.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Age old answer...both of course. It is the right answer. Seriously though, I currently have neither. But I do have a Salt and a Pac Salt. I carry the Salt more, but if I had to have only one, it would be the Pac Salt. No help, I realize. Get both!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I hear you Sharp guy. My Delica is my carry knife when I'm out and want something just a bit bigger than my Dragonfly.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I love both and plan on buying both. The Endura is my favorite model though so I would say that. But new Enduras are also a lot rarer than new Delicas in the lineup. You have the upcoming Pink Delica, Cruwear Delica, and CTS-204P Delica. So I'd say get those 3 Delicas, and the K390 Endura! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’d get the Delica first and here’s why. It is much more practical in day in and day out use and carry. It is far and away my favorite pocket knife. I remove the clip, of course. It is slim and trim, but the handle is just long enough.

I like the Endura as a secondary choice because of size. It fits my mitt better, but is large for daily carry many times.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050