New Double Sided CBN Benchstone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

Re: New Double Sided CBN Benchstone

Post by Baron Mind »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:55 pm
Sal sent me one to check out

Thanks Shawn! I know you're not a huge proponent of coated plates, but that looks like a pretty darn good edge you got with it there.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

hambone56rx wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:19 pm
Could you use this to thin out an edge on a knife, say at 10 degrees per side, then set a microbevel on the Sharpmaker at 15 degrees per side?

Hamilton
Sure. That’s basically how I sharpen most of my utility folders and fixed blade knives these days.

It has the advantage of being very easy and quick to resharpen, because the contact area is so small at the 15dps setting on the Sharpmaker.

Once the knife is thinned out, it literally takes me only a minute or two, with this technique, including setup and packing away the SM, to restore a sharp edge to any steel.

Eventually the edge area will thicken up a bit, and you go back to the stones.

Some steels will obviously be able to be thinned out more than others - but if you go too thin to maintain edge stability, the problem is self correcting - because, as you continue to sharpen it on the SM, the BTE thickness of your 15dps microbevel will increase and gradually become more durable.

I finish some of the higher carbide steels with a few 20dps SM passes for durability.

I usually use the 140 Atoma for grinding more acute bevels, then clean up the ~ 10-13 dps bevel with the other Atomas and Venev bonded diamond waterstones. But you could do the job with the 400 grit side of the CBN stone, I guess - you would just need to be careful to maintain very light pressure, so as not to excessively strip abrasive from the coating.

Playing around with angles and finishes for yourself on different steels is all part of the fun. :)
Last edited by Cambertree on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:55 pm
hambone56rx wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:19 pm
Could you use this to thin out an edge on a knife, say at 10 degrees per side, then set a microbevel on the Sharpmaker at 15 degrees per side?

Hamilton
Sure. That’s basically how I sharpen most of my utility folders and fixed blade knives these days.

It has the advantage of being very easy and quick to resharpen, because the contact area is so small at the 15dps setting on the Sharpmaker.

It literally me only takes a minute or two, with this technique, including setup and packing away the SM, to restore a sharp edge to any steel.

Eventually the edge area will thicken up a bit, and you go back to the stones.

Some steels will obviously be able to be thinned out more than others - but if you go too thin to maintain edge stability, the problem is self correcting - because, as you continue to sharpen it on the SM, the BTE thickness of your 15dps microbevel will increase and gradually become more durable.

I finish some of the higher carbide steels with a few 20dps SM passes for durability.

I usually use the 140 Atoma for grinding more acute bevels, then clean up the ~ 10-13 dps bevel with the other Atomas and Venev bonded diamond waterstones. But you could do the job with the 400 grit side of the CBN stone, I guess - you would just need to be careful to maintain very light pressure, so as not to excessively strip abrasive from the coating.

Playing around with angles and finishes for yourself on different steels is all part of the fun. :)
Thanks Cambertree!

Hamilton
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

hambone56rx wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:37 pm
Thanks Cambertree!

Hamilton
No worries, Hamilton! :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Very cool!
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Very toothy and aggressive at consequence to push cutting. An interesting favor. Curious to see how it compares to diamond in this format.
Baron Mind wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:27 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

Thanks Shawn! I know you're not a huge proponent of coated plates, but that looks like a pretty darn good edge you got with it there.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

It's Mesh, which is close to JIS. I wouldn't get too focused on grit ratings since the surface roughness is usually what folks are trying to determine from the grit size rating.

This is a plated stone. The abrasive particles are sticking up more and will making a rougher, deeper cut than a stone with the same size grit but different bond with the abrasive deeper imbedded in the stone.

The advantage is the deeper cut has more aggression with draw cuts and slicing at a trade off to push cutting which requires a smoother finish.

The point is some folks are chasing grit ratings and sizes but not understanding one can have five different stones in the same size grit but different bond types creating completely different finishes and edge properties from a semi-mirror, push cutter to rough cut, microserration all at say, 400grit JIS.

A stone like this makes a nice edge for slicing rope and cutting animal hide which are things that don't push cut well and the deep cut with hard abrasive will accentuate high carbide steels by exposing more carbides and cutting facets at the edge with trade offs of course.

Seems to be a preference thing.
Granoo Fink wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:27 am
Deadboxhero wrote:

Thank you Shawn for the video.

Please, one question. In the video, you stated microns to the corresponding grit sizes and these are obviously given in JIS and not in ANSI, right?

Because it's a little bit confusing, which standard is suitable for sharpening tools from all over the world :confused:

Thank you
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
vivi

Post by vivi »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:25 pm
Knifeworks... https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-306cbn- ... one-3-x-8/
you're killing me. i made a $75 order with them last night, and this is $93, and free shipping is at $99 :p

Glad this is finally out.
:unicorn
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:42 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:25 pm
Knifeworks... https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-306cbn- ... one-3-x-8/
you're killing me. i made a $75 order with them last night, and this is $93, and free shipping is at $99 :p

Glad this is finally out.

My bad! If you squint really hard while ordering you won't even see the shipping charge. :D
•• Beau
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Would the 800/1200 ocb venev diamond be a good complement to this stone?

I remember one of the Michael Christy (pretty sure) videos where he sometimes has difficulty establishing the apex on the coarser venev stones. I figure this is a nice alternative to a dmt plate
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Happy New Year! I just ordered the CBN 400/800 plate and the Galley Vee sharpener from Knifeworks. My 325 grit DMT plate is so worn it hardly cuts; in fact my 600 grit cuts faster. I’ve been very happy with my CBN SM rods.

Will Spyderco offer cateye stones in medium (brown) grit for the Galley Vee?
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:48 pm
Would the 800/1200 ocb venev diamond be a good complement to this stone?

I remember one of the Michael Christy (pretty sure) videos where he sometimes has difficulty establishing the apex on the coarser venev stones. I figure this is a nice alternative to a dmt plate
Yes, I have that stone and I think it would be a good pairing. :)
fixall

Post by fixall »

Deadboxhero wrote:

I've got one of these bad boys on the way. :)

I have an 8" Coarse/Fine DMT DuoSharp sitting on my workbench right now. Any chance you could chime in with how the Spyderco CBN Benchstone compares? I imagine they would have similar performance. I like that the Spyderco has a bit more width to it.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
fixall

Post by fixall »

I guess I'll find out how they compare soon enough. :)

Mine has a little bit of corner damage from shipping, but it shouldn't affect sharpening. No harm, no foul. I think the Bench Stone may be a little too heavy to ship in a clamshell package though. When mine arrived, the box was fine, but the plastic that held the stone in looked like a bomb had hit it. Blew out of the corner of the clamshell from the weight of the stone.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Just got mine in; haven't used it yet but it looks good.

I'll second fixall's shipping issue though; the clamshell packaging was blown out along the bottom. Fortunately DLT put some packing paper in there so it didn't get banged up or bang up anything else in the box.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

IMG_20210131_171355_176.jpg
So I've used this stone a handful of times. First off it's very thin, and for me atleast resting it on top of my sharpmaker case was the most efficient way to use it. I normally just do stone in hand sharpening but each their own. The stone initially needs some break in time, but it seems to go by pretty quick from what I've seen. The 400 side leaves an aggressive edge which is to be expected. On maxamet you can feel the aggression at 400. I don't do rope cut testing anymore but this is the ideal finish for rope esp with maxamet. I used the 800 side to finish this maxamet, but I didn't have any newspaper handy to check sharpness how I prefer. I have resin bonded Stones that leave a finer finish than this stone, however I think a 2 or 1 micron strop after this spyderco stone would satisfy most ppl. Overall I'm happy with it, only gripe I have is the clamshell packaging.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."