Salt Dyad interest ???????????????????????????????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Salt Dyad interest ???????????????????????????????

Post by cycleguy »

Just wondering if there is interest in a Salt Dyad; beyond myself?

Think mine would be green frn Altantic Salt-ish in LC200N with plain edge and spyder edge but the plain edge would be more sheepsfoot-ish.... and of course the handle would have to be modified some.

Post your thoughts and opinions and concepts (regardless of the good, the bad, and the ugly) - and let's see where this takes us!!!

Along for the ride....

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JD Spydo

Re: Salt Dyad interest ???????????????????????????????

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh count me in big time!!!! and I sure don't want to slow your enthusiasm but they have had at least one prototype of a Salt Dyad in the past. I think it was about 5 to 6 years ago. I was still living in south KC when the talk of that one was hot. And correct me folks if I'm remembering this wrong. But to the best of my memory it was dead in the water because of it costing so much to make in the first place.

But the talk and wishes for a Salt Dyad do surface every now and then. Oh heck if they did a full sized, C-44 Dyad in LC200N you could count on me for 3 of them or no less than 2. At this point in time my ATS-55 C-44 Dyad is one of my Special occasion folders. I have always loved the Dyad.

Also the C-36 Micarta Dyad Jr is one of the few small Spyderco folders I like and wouldn't mind owning again. ( Salt or standard).
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd be very interested in a Salt Dyad with PE leaf blade and SE sheepsfoot rescue blade, both in LC200N. I'd buy in just about any bright handle color Spyderco offers it in, although orange would be my least favorite.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I am always in for that!

I prefer the Micro out of them all. But, I would never complain about a full LC200N C44.

NO LINERLESS!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:06 pm
I am always in for that!

I prefer the Micro out of them all. But, I would never complain about a full LC200N C44.

NO LINERLESS!
I'm out if the clip screws secure to the liner. Every Spyderco I've owned where the clip screws thread into the liners has either stripped out the liner screw holes or the screws just won't tighten enough and the clip wobbles like crazy. Threaded inserts like most of the Salts and Natives have work much better.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A Salt Dyad actually is exactly what I proposed when Lance (Surf Gringo) quite recently asked what we wanted to see in a new Salt knife (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87498#p1448811) ;)

Though in my case: Pac Salt size, and featuring a full SE or comboedge blade plus a saw..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I own two Dyads and more Salts than I can count, so I’d be very excited about a Dyad Salt. I like the general blade shape of the previous Dyads where the plain edge blade is pointy and the serrated blade is a sheepfoot. However, I’d like to see the blade hump reduced or removed to make the handle easier to grip. The “humpless” blade profile that we see in the Siren, Native 5, or Spydiechef would be more comfortable because it would eliminate the problem where the hump for the unused blade pokes you in the hand while you’re using the open blade. Yes, this would make the knife right-hand only, but the Dyad has never deployed very well for lefties anyway (I’m ambidextrous and my son is a southpaw, so I’m sensitive to these issues).
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Dyad Jr Salt with the Green FRN/LC200N and I’m in!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I think the Dyad Jr. would make a great sprint as a Salt in H1 or LC200N. It is already FRN. Was there ever an FRN full sized Dyad? I'm not sure they would make a new mold for this, but sprinting the Jr. with the existing mold could help garner enough interest in the 2 bladed Salt folder design to warrant a new full sized Dyad LW Salt.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:31 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:06 pm
I am always in for that!

NO LINERLESS!
I'm out if the clip screws secure to the liner. Every Spyderco I've owned where the clip screws thread into the liners has either stripped out the liner screw holes or the screws just won't tighten enough and the clip wobbles like crazy. Threaded inserts like most of the Salts and Natives have work much better.
You've got my attention on this one :confused: Now I've never had what you described on any of the User Spyders I've used over the years. I'm wondering why that is? Maybe it's the grade of steel they are using for the liner and maybe this is a subject we should make another thread for.
But I am curious as to why you've had this kind of bad luck? I've never yet have a clip screw's internal threads strip out on me yet. Oh I'm not doubting you at all but this has got my curiosity going for sure. Seriously we ought to ask Mr. Glesser about this problem?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:36 pm
I think the Dyad Jr. would make a great sprint as a Salt in H1 or LC200N. It is already FRN. Was there ever an FRN full sized Dyad? I'm not sure they would make a new mold for this, but sprinting the Jr. with the existing mold could help garner enough interest in the 2 bladed Salt folder design to warrant a new full sized Dyad LW Salt.
Well Brother if you ever had one of those original C-39 Dyad Jr models with the Micarta handles you wouldn't even want those later FRN Dyad Jr. models. OH I could go with an FRN Dyad Jr. as far as a work knife goes but I would highly prefer the original Micarta version.

Like I said earlier I'm not a huge fan of Spyderco's little/short bladed models for the most part but I've always liked the Dyad Jr. models. However the bigger C-44 Dyad is the real prize.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:36 pm
Dyad Jr Salt with the Green FRN/LC200N and I’m in!
That isn't a bad suggestion at all. I could go with any of the neon/nuclear colors as far as that goes. I like those type of colors on the handles of work knives because they are really easy to find if you misplace them or have them fall into a stream.

When you think about it the concept of "color" can in many cases be an integral part of the knife. I wish I could find all the black handled Spyders I've lost in the past 20 years :o
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

There may still be a few out there if you check out some of those dusty old Mom & Pops.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=87573
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:45 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:31 pm
You've got my attention on this one :confused: Now I've never had what you described on any of the User Spyders I've used over the years. I'm wondering why that is? Maybe it's the grade of steel they are using for the liner and maybe this is a subject we should make another thread for.
But I am curious as to why you've had this kind of bad luck? I've never yet have a clip screw's internal threads strip out on me yet. Oh I'm not doubting you at all but this has got my curiosity going for sure. Seriously we ought to ask Mr. Glesser about this problem?
It's been several years ago. Things may be better now, but I'm not going to risk my money to find out. Spyderco has other designs I really like that are safe bets.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I do not own a Dyad yet, and I have been trying to decide which one I wan't to get. If this actually existed with a PE & SE blade in LC200N (one of the few steels I don't own yet) my decision making struggle would be over instantly. I think I'd prefer the full size over the micro but I'd buy at least one of each if they made both, and although I wouldn't choose a sheepsfoot-ish style blade for the PE blade, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either. I like the green FRN colour from reveal 6, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if it was yellow or orange or black or grey... :)
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting discussion.

Today I carried a Dyad with dual compression locks. Delica size. It has two humped blades with 12mm opening holes. If we make a knife humpless, then the handle has to be wider and sometimes the opening becomes more difficult. If we make the blades humpless with smaller holes, the same issue exists. The major problem with two bladed knives is the higher cost or processing two blades.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 pm
Interesting discussion.

Today I carried a Dyad with dual compression locks. Delica size. It has to humped blades with 12mm opening holes. If we make a knife humpless, then the handle has to be wider and sometimes the opening becomes more difficult. The major problem with two bladed knives is the higher cost or processing two blades.

sal
Don't wanna sound like I'm begging, but please tell me more.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 pm
Interesting discussion.

Today I carried a Dyad with dual compression locks. Delica size. It has two humped blades with 12mm opening holes. If we make a knife humpless, then the handle has to be wider and sometimes the opening becomes more difficult. If we make the blades humpless with smaller holes, the same issue exists. The major problem with two bladed knives is the higher cost or processing two blades.

sal
You're killing me, Sal!

This thread needs pictures!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

So it would be like the Caribbean and Dyad had a baby! How awesome would it be to have the SE Sheepfoot and PE Leaf from the Caribbean on the same knife, all in LC200N?! It could be called the Canal, Channel, or Strait. They are all terms for connecting two bodies of water.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I prefer the PE blade shape on the current Dyad.

It's really nice to have that point for digging out splinters and getting stuff out from under my fingernails.

-Thomas Jefferson