Salt Dyad interest ???????????????????????????????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Salt Dyad interest ???????????????????????????????

Post by sal »

Hi Cambertree,

The one I'm carrying is accessible with the hole opener, not as easy as with the right hand. If it goes anywhere, we'll have to consider a left handed version?

sal
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:44 pm
Hi Cambertree,

The one I'm carrying is accessible with the hole opener, not as easy as with the right hand. If it goes anywhere, we'll have to consider a left handed version?

sal

It has to go, please. And please do not forget my 6 units pre-order :)
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:35 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 pm
Interesting discussion.

Today I carried a Dyad with dual compression locks. Delica size. It has two humped blades with 12mm opening holes. If we make a knife humpless, then the handle has to be wider and sometimes the opening becomes more difficult. If we make the blades humpless with smaller holes, the same issue exists. The major problem with two bladed knives is the higher cost or processing two blades.

sal
That’s very cool, Sal. :)

I’ve been trying to visualise this, as to whether the lock access and Spydieholes would be usable at all for a left hander?

I’ve wanted a Dyad in the past, but had to pass on it because of the righty orientation.

I realise it’s a difficult ask for a multi bladed OHO knife, but it would be nice to have some consideration given to this issue.

Spyderco are one of the few tool manufacturers who actually seem inclusive of the 7-10% of the population who are left handed, in their design parameters, and I appreciate that. :cool: :spyder:
For the record, the grey G-10 Dyad can be taken apart and reassembled as lefty, very easily.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:44 pm
Hi Cambertree,

sal
Thanks Sal.

Generally, I can adapt to some designs, like single bladed compression locks easily enough. Although I also have a tendency, now I’m older, to not mess with any heavily righty biased designs. (The GB1 and Tenacious are about the only exceptions to this in my Spydie accumulation.)

That’s very kind of you to say you’d consider a lefty Dyad. Personally I think that would be wonderful to have, but I also understand it would be a very niche and expensive model, and I wouldn’t want you all to lose money on the project. :) :cool:

(Now a lefty Millie in a tool steel, on the other hand... :D )

It’s interesting that the Dyad blade selection is another example of Spyderco being way ahead of their time.

The contemporary traditional styled slipjoint makers have been going through a kind of renaissance of popularity for a few years now. The classic two bladed traditional selection is a main blade paired with a small spear point pen blade secondary. Many users felt this was somewhat of a redundant blade shape.

It took the makers like GEC a while to catch on, but now they’ve started pairing a straight bladed sheepsfoot/coping blade secondary with a spear point or clip shaped main blade, this has proved to be extremely popular, and better suited to many users’ needs.
Sumdumguy wrote: For the record, the grey G-10 Dyad can be taken apart and reassembled as lefty, very easily.
Thanks SDG. :)

Yeah, I remember we had a chat about this possibility a couple of years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79554&p=1240610&hilit=Dyad#p1240610

At the time, I think you thought it could be done, but thanks for confirming it.

Makes me regret not buying one back then when I had the chance. :rolleyes: :)

Switchable blades would probably be the ideal solution, although obviously it would only really work with backlocks and not compression locks.

I’ll watch this Salty compression lock version with interest though. If it eventuates, I can always give it away to a righty friend if it doesn’t work for me.

All the friends I’ve gifted a Spydie and a catalogue to, have since purchased multiple Spydies. :D :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:25 pm
Sumdumguy wrote: For the record, the grey G-10 Dyad can be taken apart and reassembled as lefty, very easily.
Thanks SDG. :)

Yeah, I remember we had a chat about this possibility a couple of years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79554&p=1240610&hilit=Dyad#p1240610

At the time, I think you thought it could be done, but thanks for confirming it.

Makes me regret not buying one back then when I had the chance. :rolleyes: :)

Switchable blades would probably be the ideal solution, although obviously it would only really work with backlocks and not compression locks.

I’ll watch this Salty compression lock version with interest though. If it eventuates, I can always give it away to a righty friend if it doesn’t work for me.

All the friends I’ve gifted a Spydie and a catalogue to, have since purchased multiple Spydies. :D :spyder:
You gots a better memory than I, son! What day is it again?

Yea, it was very much possible, aswell as easy. I love love LOVE the Dyads! So happy that they may get another crack!

(Still want a new Micro)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm not against a smaller Dyad model in the Salt Series. But my first priority is in the size range of a C-44 Dyad. The C-44 model/version is what made me a fanatic of the Dyad model to begin with. It is so cool to have two full sized Spyderco blades in one folder. I'm not obsessed with any particular locking system but I do want the next Dyad to have a decent lanyard hole.

Now a Salt Dyad maybe about a 1/2 of an inch shorter than the C-44 might be all right. I also like the rigid construction of the original C-44 Dyad as well.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm not in the "LC200N all the things!" club, but this knife would be best in LC200N and a as full Salt model. I'd prefer it to remain a lock back knife. I'm not sure how well comp locks would work with thick gloves. As to the lanyard, it's a must for this. No one will buy a second if it is too easy to lose overboard.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:25 pm
I'm not in the "LC200N all the things!" club, but this knife would be best in LC200N and a as full Salt model. I'd prefer it to remain a lock back knife. I'm not sure how well comp locks would work with thick gloves. As to the lanyard, it's a must for this. No one will buy a second if it is too easy to lose overboard.
Make it a replica of the original C-44 Dyad and add a visible lanyard hole and I'm right there with you. If it would save them money they could do the SE blade in H-1 if there is a huge price difference because H-1 is not a bad SE blade steel.

But a full sized replica of the C-44 Dyad with a lanyard hole in LC200N I would even buy one ahead of time I would be so excited :cool: