The Manix 2 lw is pretty good

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: The Manix 2 lw is pretty good

Post by Matus »

I hope it is OK to share my not-so-positive first impressions in this thread ...

I recently had a chance to handle a brand new Manix LW in Maxamet. I was checking it out as a possible candidate for my workshop utility knife (I am still not really comfortable with the size/length of the Chief I have at the moment). There is a lot that I like about the Manix - the blade shape and size, the handle profile (for the most part), the low weight. However few things put me off. The handle cross section is a thin rectangular with basically zero chamfering - and I find that uncomfortable for my fingers. The back of the handle falls of pretty steeply (most likely to conform to palm when closing the knife) - this is not very comfortable in hammer grip when not choking up on the blade. The spine of the handle feels slippery and together with the force required to release the lock it requires quite some attention to close the knife without pushing the butt of the blade out of your palm (though I would believe that with time the closing get easier, so I would not be too hanged up on this). Last - the plastic jimping around the handle is just bad.

I can imagine that I would appreciate the G10 version more as one would have a possibility to chamfer the edges a bit. And I would go as far as saying that I would prefer it with a back-lock (though I am not looking to get a S30V blade).

In total I am actually really sorry I was not able to like the knife as much as I hoped (the blade shape/size would have been pretty much perfect). It is a great knife, but it would appear that my preferences just lie in a bit different direction.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:47 am
I hope it is OK to share my not-so-positive first impressions in this thread ...

As far as closing the Manix goes: You might want to try one of these 6 methods (well, 5, since one is the one you used already) - see link:

viewtopic.php?t=87806

Actually the knife is more stable in hand with tve "nonconventional" techniques, and they are about as fast as the "main" Manix closing method, if you consider the whole proxess from "knife in a working grip" to "knife closed"
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:55 am

As far as closing the Manix goes: You might want to try one of these 6 methods (well, 5, since one is the one you used already) - see link:

viewtopic.php?t=87806

Actually the knife is more stable in hand with tve "nonconventional" techniques, and they are about as fast as the "main" Manix closing method, if you consider the whole proxess from "knife in a working grip" to "knife closed"
Great thread, thanks. Indeed, I would prefer some of the alternative methods shown to the 'nominal' one. Just the brand new lock was too stiff to disengage with just the thumb, but my understanding is that it loosens up over time.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I’ve got 4 M2LW’s. Thankfully not a problem with any of them. One of my favorite knives.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I have 7 so far plus the Knife Joker sprint inbound. I carry and use the Manix LW’s for work more than any other knife. It’s a close race between it and the Endura’s for my favorite Spyderco. As for durability they’ve held up cutting anything I can think of cutting with a knife. The size fits my hand well and I prefer FRCP or FRN over G-10 when my hands are sweaty or greasy. Initially I think the only drawback to them was BD1 steel. The newer steel options have really made the Manix LW a contender compared to other models in the lineup in my opinion.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Matus, have you tried modifying the handle to suit your grip better?
Matus

Post by Matus »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:36 am
Matus, have you tried modifying the handle to suit your grip better?
I could well imagine to do that to a G10 version, but the FRN I am not so sure. Plus as with most pocket knives, the handle is just a little to thin. Everyone seems to be more concerned about knife disappearing in the pocket, but not getting a hand-filling, reasonably ergonomic handle.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The Shaman is calling you.
Matus

Post by Matus »

A bit too much belly towards the tip (for what I am looking for at the moment), but other than that it is VERY tempting.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:19 pm
A bit too much belly towards the tip (for what I am looking for at the moment), but other than that it is VERY tempting.

Grinding down the spine towards the tip? (You'd loose a bit of cutting edge by doing so, but the edge should certainly still be at least as long as on the Manix)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Once we put a regrind on the table, then everything is possible :D
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My Manix LW (in S110V) is drop-shutty. Although the blocky handle looks uncomfortable, in actual use it gives good control and isn’t a problem. The defined corners give a positive index that assists in control of the knife. Similar to a blocky Glock.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

I've had 3 manix lightweights, only one was drop shutty, the other 2 required lots of wrist motion to get it to close in one motion, and adjusting the pivot or adding lube didn't do anything.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

The 20CV exclusive is my first Manix 2 LW and I've really been enjoying it. I don't know if I just got lucky or if the QC has been improving on these but the centering, action, and lockup are all great on my example. I think this will be a new favorite summertime carry of mine and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for future runs in this model.

I wish I had been into the LW when the Rex 45 run was released!
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

It’s my favorite edc now!!! Just waiting on magnacut 👍
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've been telling people for years it's so good. that blacked out version is super tempting, especially now that they finally put screws in it!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:46 am
i've been telling people for years it's so good. that blacked out version is super tempting, especially now that they finally put screws in it!
It’s nice to see more of them coming out with screws . I’m waiting on a particular one and will jump on it . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:52 am

It’s my favorite edc now!!! Just waiting on magnacut 👍
Salty this a nice shot worthy of the weekly contest ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

ladybug93 wrote:
Well guess what LB-you’re the reason I bought it!!!🤣 Now I have to get the regular version…never had the rivets? but I’ve read many pleading posts for screws✌️
Guts

Post by Guts »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:58 am
ladybug93 wrote:
It’s nice to see more of them coming out with screws . I’m waiting on a particular one and will jump on it . Dan
I converted my LW to screwed construction and it wasn't too bad to do but not something I'd want to do again. At worst, now I have an S30V LW and a G10 Maxamet. My LW was super dirty inside so I'm glad they're switching to screwed construction for the production models.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red