Enuff Drop Point/Leaf in LC200N PE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Enuff Drop Point/Leaf in LC200N PE

Post by Wartstein »

captnvegtble wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:56 am
I'm excited for this knife. I really like the Enuff ergonomics, but the small thick blade limits use for me... even 0.5 inches longer and a little thinner would make this a real winner!

100 % agreed!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:27 am
Hi Ejcr,

I'll look into it. Might have a green handle?

sal
Green handle is fine by me. I like a lot the new green of the Pac Salt 2. I am just glad and thankful that you are willing to consider my request. So thank you.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I was checking one of Larrin’s articles where he compares like 40 steels and it seems to me that LC200N is the perfect hiking/camping/survival steel.

A lot of the survival/outdoors knives are made with 1095 steel. I don’t have any experience with 1095, but I do with LC200N (got the Native Salt) and I am not even sure I am interpreting Larrin’s charts correctly, but it seems to me that LC200N is substantially tougher than 1095, holds an edge significantly longer than 1095 and is, obviously, vastly more corrosion resistant than 1095, which will rust fairly easily while LC200N is almost rust proof (seems to be rust proof except for galvanization rust). The one important characteristic that I don’t know how they compare is ease of sharpening, especially in the field.

If my perception is correct, the current Enuff but in LC200N would be pretty much the perfect small hard use hiking/survival fixed blade.

To me, the Enuff was Spyderco’s answer to the Esee Izula, given that their dimensions are basically the same, and similar knives by other companies. But if the Enuff comes in LC200N, in my opinion, there will be no real competition to the Enuff.
Arkansaw

Post by Arkansaw »

I love the Enuff salt serrated and wear it on my PFD when I kayak. I would definitely buy a lc200n PE version for use off the river but in wet environments.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Arkansaw,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
DieselDad

Post by DieselDad »

I would also be very interested in this either just in LC200N or with a slightly (.5 - .75") longer blade. I missed the LC200N mule and agree that reading Larrin's Knife Steel Nerds articles has me convinced that this would be an awesome hunting/camping knife steel. I actually like the new salt green too.
As always - My opinion is worth every penny you paid for it
Arkansaw

Post by Arkansaw »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:36 am
Hi Arkansaw,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks! Been a Salt user for years, excited to see LC200n working it’s way into the line.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DieselDad,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

ejcr98 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 pm
I was checking one of Larrin’s articles where he compares like 40 steels and it seems to me that LC200N is the perfect hiking/camping/survival steel.

A lot of the survival/outdoors knives are made with 1095 steel. I don’t have any experience with 1095, but I do with LC200N (got the Native Salt) and I am not even sure I am interpreting Larrin’s charts correctly, but it seems to me that LC200N is substantially tougher than 1095, holds an edge significantly longer than 1095 and is, obviously, vastly more corrosion resistant than 1095, which will rust fairly easily while LC200N is almost rust proof (seems to be rust proof except for galvanization rust). The one important characteristic that I don’t know how they compare is ease of sharpening, especially in the field.

If my perception is correct, the current Enuff but in LC200N would be pretty much the perfect small hard use hiking/survival fixed blade.

To me, the Enuff was Spyderco’s answer to the Esee Izula, given that their dimensions are basically the same, and similar knives by other companies. But if the Enuff comes in LC200N, in my opinion, there will be no real competition to the Enuff.
I've used a lot of 1095 knives, including Izulas and larger ESEE knives. Most companies are running it pretty soft, around 55-57rc. Spyderco runs LC200N harder than that. That alone will give it an edge when it comes to edge holding.

If you can get your hands on a 1095 custom in the 61rc + range it shows much better edge holding.
DieselDad wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:49 pm
I would also be very interested in this either just in LC200N or with a slightly (.5 - .75") longer blade. I missed the LC200N mule and agree that reading Larrin's Knife Steel Nerds articles has me convinced that this would be an awesome hunting/camping knife steel. I actually like the new salt green too.
LC200N is very much a good outdoors steel. I haven't encountered toughness issues using it for carving wood, mild batoning to split kindling, and other outdoors tasks. Being rust proof is a nice bonus when processing any sort of fish or small game.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83323

There's a video of me using a Waterway for some fire building in that thread.

I hope to see LC200N used in more general purpose fixed blades like this extra long enuff or one of the Perrin designs.
:unicorn
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:43 pm
LC200N is very much a good outdoors steel. I haven't encountered toughness issues using it for carving wood, mild batoning to split kindling, and other outdoors tasks. Being rust proof is a nice bonus when processing any sort of fish or small game.
I'll second this. I've beat my waterway within an inch of it's life and it keeps on going.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:43 pm
ejcr98 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 pm

I've used a lot of 1095 knives, including Izulas and larger ESEE knives. Most companies are running it pretty soft, around 55-57rc. Spyderco runs LC200N harder than that. That alone will give it an edge when it comes to edge holding.

If you can get your hands on a 1095 custom in the 61rc + range it shows much better edge holding.
DieselDad wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:49 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83323

There's a video of me using a Waterway for some fire building in that thread.

I hope to see LC200N used in more general purpose fixed blades like this extra long enuff or one of the Perrin designs.
Vivi thanks for pointing me out to your video. How would you say that LC200N compares to 1095 toughness wise, in your experience?