Six-Thousand Nine-Hundred Forty Days

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Robbob

Six-Thousand Nine-Hundred Forty Days

Post by Robbob »

Do you still remember?
Sonorum

Re: Six-Thousand Nine-Hundred Forty Days

Post by Sonorum »

Robbob wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:09 am
Do you still remember?
How can one forget? The world changed.
/ David
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

A darker more regulated and worse world ever since. I want my old world back. I was driving to work when it was unfolding. I thought they were talking about a movie. The same thing happened in Australia when the Port Arthur massacre happened. I feel angry that the actions of a hand full of crazy basxxxxx make the world so much crappier for billions of people.
juggler

Post by juggler »

How could anyone ever forget?

On that day I truly understood why denial is often considered to be the first stage of grief: I watched the same footage over and over again (as many of us probably did) but my brain just wouldn't accept it. What was happening was both real and impossible at the same time.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
benben

Post by benben »

I was holding my nine day old baby girl and wondering what the future of the world would hold for her, I remember it like it was yesterday!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Come to think about it I haven't seen one of those Spyderco 9-11 commemorative models. Which was basically a D'Allara model with an S30V blade in a really nice hand made, hardwood box. I think at one time you could pick the number you wanted. If my memory is right I think there were about two thousand of them made.

I bet one of those would do well on Ebay or one of the other auction/trade sites.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I was at school (Mississippi State) when it happened.

It's a day I will never forget.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Was driving from London to Georgetown KY to work and the radio reported that a drone or plane (don't remember which) was shot down by Iraq so I turned on talk radio to see if I would hear more once I arrived at work, that was before 8am est. Then when the 1st tower was hit the entire office ran to a TV and you all know the rest.

To this day I've not found or heard a single thing about that downed craft around Iraq :confused:

Anyway. WILL NEVER FORGET!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

There was before, and there is after.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

By this time in the morning I would expect to see at least one other thread about today.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:07 am
Come to think about it I haven't seen one of those Spyderco 9-11 commemorative models. Which was basically a D'Allara model with an S30V blade in a really nice hand made, hardwood box. I think at one time you could pick the number you wanted. If my memory is right I think there were about two thousand of them made.

I bet one of those would do well on Ebay or one of the other auction/trade sites.

Yes, and no, JD. You could request a specific number within the range of numbers they made and they'd give you that number if it was still available. As for quantity, there may be some numbers higher than 2000 out there, but, sadly, not all the knives they made sold so the actual number of WTC knives will most likely be lower than the one with the highest number might lead someone to believe.

For anyone not familiar with the Spyderco WTC Knife...

This shows the box they came in...

These two Spydercos will find their way into my pockets on September 11th for as long as I live...

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I work at a small shop (3 people + the owner) and it’s the lady up fronts birthday. At least there’s a reason to celebrate today...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
benben

Post by benben »

With all the planning (crude & genius) it took to get those terrorists into the Country, and into those planes......those fully fueled planes, could you imagine the insane number of lives lost if that first plane had hit just one hour later?

30,000 lives, 50,000 lives? Scary how vulnerable we were that day! When I say genius, there's not too many things as dangerous as a flying gas can headed to a specific target!
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

pretty hard to forget if you were older in age. Glad i was able to visit the towers when i was younger and go to the top. need to find the photos.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I was in class, whem we got the announcement. The teacher turned on the TV, just in time for us to see the second plane hit.

I remember my stomach knotted up and then they called school out a few minutes later.
It was a terrible day.

I was fortunate to have been able to visit New York, long before all of that and experience all of the things that aren't there anymore.

It was a rough place back then.
The Deacon wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:24 am
Always with the Kiwis!

I can't say I will ever have a full set. But, that one is on my list. Now, if I could just find one.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
James Y

Post by James Y »

infinkc wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:57 am
pretty hard to forget if you were older in age. Glad i was able to visit the towers when i was younger and go to the top. need to find the photos.
Me, too. I went to the top floor of one of the towers in 1979, and took some pictures. Unfortunately, I never thought to have anyone take a photo of me in it. Every year, a few local high schools used to combine to have an annual 2-week east coast trip (Williamsburg, VA to Boston, MA, and all point in-between) for students who wanted to sign up for it, and that year’s trip was the only time I’ve ever been back east (or even east of Arizona), to this day.

When I heard about the attack, I was getting ready for work at my then-captioning job. I had the TV on the morning news, and the first plane had just hit.

Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It was a shock to the system and difficult to comprehend and digest. At first sight, the second plane looked like an insect attracted to an electronic insect killer like in a bad dream. The tragic loss of life could’ve been a lot worse. Let’s not forget all the people who helped clear the site and now living/dying from it. What I also remember is how united we were as a country and people. Everyone was so kind and considerate to strangers. United we stand, divided we fall.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Seared into my mind forever. I was a freshman in college, getting all my stuff together for classes that day and packing my lunch and heard on the news about a plane hitting the World Trade Center. I thought to myself, how the heck did that happen?? It's a beautiful, clear day. Kind of hard to not see that massive building.

Hopped in my car and headed to school, listening to CD's so I didn't hear anything on the radio. I pulled into the parking lot and a lot of people were leaving and talking in the parking lot and that's when I heard it was a terrorist attack and classes were cancelled for the day. I went back home and called my parents, I remember that for the first time actually being a bit scared. I live in NY, not near the city but still at 18 years old I couldn't comprehend or understand what was going on and why. Stared at the TV in disbelief the rest of the night. In the following days, I never felt the emotions of anger/sadness/confusion/fear all at once like this...but as others mentioned, then seeing our entire country unite and come together. Very surreal situation.

It's crazy to think that's been 19 years now. Last night it actually made me feel a bit old as some of us neighbors were playing cornhole and talking about 9/11. My neighbors son is a senior in high school and he was talking about learning about 9/11...it seemed crazy to me that it's actually a history lesson for this kid, that he didn't live through it or remember it, when here I can remember exactly what I packed for lunch, what I was wearing and that I was jamming out to new Sum 41 CD on my way to school.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I turned 18 that day. I watched the second plane crash live on TV... at 18 yo it looked like a movie indeed...
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I remember going into my auto shop class at a local community college first thing in the morning. We were all discussing how we could legally leave the class after 10 minutes if the teacher didn't show. About 20 minutes past the hour the teacher walked in with a radio and said we'd been attacked. He plugged it in and set it on top of the TV and we all fell quiet and listened to what was happening.

About 15 minutes later one of the guys in my class asked if we could turn on the TV that was under the radio....