Hope for a Chaparral with upgraded steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FrenchBlob

Re: Hope for a Chaparral with upgraded steel?

Post by FrenchBlob »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:47 am
.... a rather unique model like the Chap got some more variants too. So people who just happen to prefer other steels or even more so who´d like to experiment with different steels in this uniquely thin blade stock could try the Chap too....
Hi there,

I totally agree Wartstein ...
Chaparral could be a great base to experiment different steels in ultra thin blade stock combined with new handle materials .... Both are not contradictory ...
This could be the first step also towards an XL Chaparral :rolleyes:

My dream ? As Chap is for light duties, i don't feel the need to rinse it after use. So for me, it is a great base for non stainless steel. Many of those steels can cope with ultra thin grinds ... Cru-carta could be one of those "experiments" of new steel AND new handle material ... independently of fashion around this combo. Or 52100/superblue combined with denim-micarta or 4V synthetic stag/bone or hap40/wood... so many possibilities

Despite this, i would certainly try a bright green frn/lc200n salt chaparral :)

My 2 apples,
FB
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:01 am
Wartstein wrote:
.... a rather unique model like the Chap got some more variants too. So people who just happen to prefer other steels or even more so who´d like to experiment with different steels in this uniquely thin blade stock could try the Chap too....
Hi there,

Chaparral could be a great base to experiment different steels in ultra thin blade stock combined with new handle materials .... Both are not contradictory ...

My dream ? As Chap is for light duties, i don't feel the need to rinse it after use. So for me, it is a great base for non stainless steel. Many of those steels can cope with ultra thin grinds ... Cru-carta could be one of those "experiments" of new steel AND new handle material ... independently of fashion around this combo. Or 52100/superblue combined with denim-micarta or 4V synthetic stag/bone or hap40/wood... so many possibilities

Despite this, i would certainly try a bright green frn/lc200n salt chaparral :)

My 2 apples,
FB

Yes, excellent thoughts. Some thin slicey 52100, 4V, or even AEB-L blades would be awesome paired with Denim Micarta. And yes many times over to that LC200N Salt Chap LW! :) XHP is a fine steel, but variety is the spice of life!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:01 am
Wartstein wrote:
Hi there,

My dream ? As Chap is for light duties, ....

Merci for seconding my thought, French Blob! :)

- I´ll take the opportunity to sneak in the poll I started a long time ago concerning a Chap XL (link), maybe some more folks would like to participate meanwhile: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82492&p=1295580#p1295580

- The only thing I slightly have to disagree with you: In my (I may say rather extended) experience with my Chap LW: It is actually NOT only for light duties! That´s what I believed at first, but then I really used that little guy pretty hard and quite often in the outdoors and generally, and never came even close to breaking the blade (the general construction of the Chap LW is bombproof anyway :Steel liners, the whole back made of steel due to the lockbar and metal backspacer).

Maybe though a fictional longer Chap XL would have to be handled with a bit more care, due to the higher possible leverage on the thin blade, don´t know.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just have to bring it up: Another thing I´d like to see and try particularely in the Chap: Serrations.

Again, due to the rather uniquely thin bladestock this would be a "new" and certainly interesting experience, and my guess is that the thin stock most likely would even boost the cutting power of an SE blade.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

XHP is a fine steel. If I were to request something it would be an SE version.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see the Chap LW run in Maxamet, or K390, or S110v, or m390, or...the list goes on.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:42 pm
XHP is a fine steel. If I were to request something it would be an SE version.

You´re a wise man. ;)