S35vn on the Tenacious...what does it mean?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: S35vn on the Tenacious...what does it mean?

Post by sal »

Hi Menipo,

Some thought to share. Our Tenacious maker built an apartment building for his workers as many of them come from rural areas and return home when they can.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't understand what the big deal is here. I know I've seen numerous threads & and posts in the past few years where people have asked for this. Now it's here and people are complaining about it. Yes, it's a little pricey for a Tenacious. I seem to recall Sal mentioning he thought that might be an issue. Looks like he was right. I personally hope it works out well for them. I guess time will tell
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The tenacious is definitely a hit for spyderco - there's so many used one's for sale on ebay that are obviously not being sold by knife geeks, and they sell for only a few bucks less than a new one

I'm actually surprised it's the tenacious getting the upgrade, and not the polestar
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 pm
Hi Menipo,

Some thought to share. Our Tenacious maker built an apartment building for his workers as many of them come from rural areas and return home when they can.

sal
Hi Sal,

Thank you for sharing. I was not expecting less from you because people use to behave consistently: after decades of buying and using your products I got convinced that the quest for quality has always guided your decisions. If that applies to launching a new knife, finding the right partner in China (or Mars) wouldn' be different.

My profession has allowed (or obliged :rolleyes: ) me to live in a bunch of different countries in different continents. I had the privilege of knowing different cultures and different ways of living and, to say it in a few words, I found honest hard working guys and lazy crooks everywhere.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

:D I'll tell you exactly what it means. Another knife in my collection!
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

An S35VN Astute would be a great knife.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi EZ,

Same maker, If the Tenacious is well received, we can try an Astute.

sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:29 am
Hi EZ,

sal
That is excellent to hear!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Ez556 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:13 pm
An S35VN Astute would be a great knife.
Totally agree! I'll buy an s35vn tenacious just to help that happen. ;)
- Julia

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I checked out BladeHQ where both ParaMilitary2 and Para3 outsell the current/old Tenacious in terms of quantities sold. When you multiply that by the higher prices of ParaMilitary2 and Para3 the gap widens considerably by $ales. That’s just one dealer.

Spyderco was keen on downplaying S35VN for quite a while going so far as to reverting back to S30V from S35VN (on Native5) because they couldn’t see much/any difference.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The Tenacious is a great knife. I think I have purchased at least 3 and it was far and away my favorite bargain knife back before S35VN. I just checked the price and $98 at BladeHQ, that is nearly double the price and without a doubt that is a game changer.

Checking prices at the same place, I can get a G10 Manix 2 with S30V for $122. If I was a first time Spyderco knife buyer I would probably go in that direction for $20 more. I am not one of these people who looks down their nose at quality stuff from China, but I would probably opt for spending the extra $20 to get a US made knife with CBBL instead of liner lock. Mind you I have never had any kind of problem with the Tenacious and the knife is a workhorse -- I'm just sort of thinking outloud.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The Bow River would be my choice for a "next knife from China in a fancy steel". I would gladly pay twice as much for one of those in a premium steel. Even at double the price, which would be $80 there would be nothing even close, even at $98.

So even at twice the price (or more) I would be on this like a catfish on stink bait -- like an alligator on a lost poodle -- like a shark on a surfers dangling leg. Well you get the idea.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:33 pm
The Bow River would be my choice for a "next knife from China in a fancy steel". I would gladly pay twice as much for one of those in a premium steel. Even at double the price, which would be $80 there would be nothing even close, even at $98.

So even at twice the price (or more) I would be on this like a catfish on stink bait -- like an alligator on a lost poodle -- like a shark on a surfers dangling leg. Well you get the idea.
Totally agree. An upgraded Bow River and Astute are at the very top of my wish list.
- Julia

Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Agreed, Bow River would be fantastic in upgraded steel.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:29 am
Hi EZ,

sal
Looks like I'll be buying this Tenacious. And a stock Astute. An upgraded/premium Astute needs to happen.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

If only Ambitious powder steel :o ...
dreams dreams.... :rolleyes:
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:14 pm
I don't understand what the big deal is here. I know I've seen numerous threads & and posts in the past few years where people have asked for this. Now it's here and people are complaining about it. Yes, it's a little pricey for a Tenacious. I seem to recall Sal mentioning he thought that might be an issue. Looks like he was right. I personally hope it works out well for them. I guess time will tell

This is the part that keeps cracking me up. I understand people's issues with China and expecting to not pay as much when that's where something is made, but the DESIGN of the Tenacious is among the best Spyderco offers. It really seems like one of those "can't see the forest for the trees" issues to me, people are so obsessed with where it's made and what they believe it should cost that they miss how awesome it is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Well country of origin does directly effect the price, whereas the design itself has little to no effect on the price at all. Especially when it comes to China. If the S35VN Tenacious was made in Golden, the price would reflect that and likely be higher than what we see from China.

Also, saying the Tenacious is among the best designs Spyderco offers is completely subjective. Would you pay $100 for the China made G10/8CR13MOV Tenacious because you like the design so much?
-Nick :bug-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Good news for me. Looking forward to an XL Astute in S35VN. Commercial and political war aside, people should come to peace with the idea that ''made in China'' is a different ball game these days and oh ... yes, let's not forget that Taiwan is inhabited by chinese :rolleyes:
Last edited by elena86 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I wouldn't mind a Byrd Raven 2..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.