Coming back to the plain Delica 4 after experiencing the entire lineup

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Coming back to the plain Delica 4 after experiencing the entire lineup

Post by carrot »

I have tried just about every Spyderco that came out since the Delica 4 originally came out in saber grind.

After trying all of them, including EDCing the Caly3, PM, PM2, Para3, Endura, Stretch, Chaparral, Native, Dragonfly2 and many more, I find myself returning to the Delica 4. Without clip, dropped straight into the pocket.

It really is just right.

It's flat and light in the pocket, and without the clip you'd never even notice it.

The blade is just sturdy enough to get in where short fingernails can't (canned foods, beer cans), but still very thin and slicey. It seems like it'd be too short, but it's more than plenty. The blade shape is great, with a good point, a negative edge angle, and just enough belly to handle lunch (or clean a fish).

The handles are grippy and versatile, fits four fingers and without the clip you'll never even feel it! FRN handles are always looked down upon, and I agree, they aren't very premium, but despite that, they are tougher and grippier than any other scale material. Nested liners add weight and stiffness, giving good balance and a sturdy feel.

Finally, everybody recognizes the Spyderco lockback. Safe to carry, snappy to use, easy to close. I still think it's my favorite lock of all time.

VG-10, well I could take it or leave it, and with ZDP-189 and K390 you can leave it. But it still takes a great edge and restores in no time at all. I think if there were a CTS-XHP Delica 4 I'd spring for it immediately, I do love the toothiness of XHP over the keenness of VG-10, however.

When you read the spec sheet the Delica 4 is a yawn. It is unassuming, small, priced high, and much less dazzling than its fierce competition the Chaparral and Para 3 Lightweight. But in hand and in pocket, it's quite remarkable. It's a compact package with excellent handling. An understated classic. Reliable, high performance.
prndltech

Re: Coming back to the plain Delica 4 after experiencing the entire lineup

Post by prndltech »

I agree with you. I feel the same with the wharncliffe salt 2. I’ve come full circle back to the FRN lineup. Great for work in the shop, nice and light for EDC.

I do prefer serrations, so the selection of blade steels doesn’t really bother me. I also love vg10 so there’s that as well...

Mines not just the Spyderco line up though, I been through most other major makers, even mid techs/customs. They’re great and all... maybe even some of the best knives in the world. But I’m right back to where it began, a sturdy lock back knife with a hole in the blade.

I don’t mind handing someone a FRN Spyderco. Even non knife people close it safely.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
carrot

Post by carrot »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:53 pm
I agree with you. I feel the same with the wharncliffe salt 2. I’ve come full circle back to the FRN lineup. Great for work in the shop, nice and light for EDC.

I do prefer serrations, so the selection of blade steels doesn’t really bother me. I also love vg10 so there’s that as well...

Mines not just the Spyderco line up though, I been through most other major makers, even mid techs/customs. They’re great and all... maybe even some of the best knives in the world. But I’m right back to where it began, a sturdy lock back knife with a hole in the blade.

I don’t mind handing someone a FRN Spyderco. Even non knife people close it safely.
I bounced right off of the Salt 2. I keep one in my toolbox for beach days but the slightly thicker handles plus a hint of scale flex was enough to put the D4 back in my pocket. I do think that the Wharncliffe flavor would give the Salt 2 a much better shot at my EDC. I actually love the way bare H1 shows wear, would love satin blade with black scales. I may at some point buy a yellow wharncliffe Salt 2 to exchange blades with my black Salt 2.

Serrations, I go back and forth on. For the standard flavor of D4, the SE model is saber grind, so PE is it for me. I love SE on all FFG blades however. I like my blades thin...

The Para3 LW SE almost won the EDC war, but it came down to lock styles and I simply don't trust anything besides a lockback loose in pocket. Still, it lives in my bag as I adore the cutting power of SE.

Agreed on D4 conquering all others. I do have a fondness for the mini Pardues, which have a delicious premium feel that the D4 does not, but when it comes to carry, cutting, ergos, and blade safety, the D4 is a substantially better knife. I hate to say it, but a certain high precision, integral lock knife cannot keep up with the D4's reliable high performance either, gorgeous work of art and design and engineering as they may be.

I still carry and use (and appreciate) other brands, but if I am carrying a folder to cut, and not just for the enjoyment of a piece of engineering, it will *always* be a Spyderco in my pocket.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I forgot to mention. There is one company that isn't Spyderco that almost won my pocket, TRM. Shame they don't make lockbacks, because they truly make a fabulous knife. They should also license the Spydiehole. Like carrying a laser...
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This was me at this time last year. I circled back to the Delica and carried my Cruwear or GITD Delicas daily. Then I picked up the Endura in Teal and then another in VG10, and now I feel this way about the Endura. I still haven't tried the Police LW or Endela, so I suppose I may fall for one of those eventually, but as of right now it is the Endura for me. A TiCN Cruwear Endura is my current grail knife. Hopefully DLTJordan pulls through and drops an OD Green or Purple one soon!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
carrot

Post by carrot »

steelcity16, I go up and down with the D4/E/E4 lineup all the time. They are all gems. If I am truly, very honest about my knife needs, it is a small matter separator and not a watermelon-killer. The majority of my EDC tasks are opening packages, peeling fruit, and taking snack-sized portions of sugary treats. If I get very lucky, my SO will need me to remove tags and loose strings.

For that, the DF2 could handle them (and has, quite capably), but I prefer the full, non-derringer-style grip of the D4 when minimizing weight or size is not an issue. Going up to the E or E4 (or PM2) is great when I *know* I will need a knife for the day, but the D4 is enough that I never feel under-knifed *if* I need a knife.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

carrot wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:44 pm
I have tried just about every Spyderco that came out since the Delica 4 originally came out in saber grind.

After trying all of them, including EDCing the Caly3, PM, PM2, Para3, Endura, Stretch, Chaparral, Native, Dragonfly2 and many more, I find myself returning to the Delica 4. Without clip, dropped straight into the pocket.

It really is just right.

It's flat and light in the pocket, and without the clip you'd never even notice it.

The blade is just sturdy enough to get in where short fingernails can't (canned foods, beer cans), but still very thin and slicey. It seems like it'd be too short, but it's more than plenty. The blade shape is great, with a good point, a negative edge angle, and just enough belly to handle lunch (or clean a fish).

The handles are grippy and versatile, fits four fingers and without the clip you'll never even feel it! FRN handles are always looked down upon, and I agree, they aren't very premium, but despite that, they are tougher and grippier than any other scale material. Nested liners add weight and stiffness, giving good balance and a sturdy feel.

Finally, everybody recognizes the Spyderco lockback. Safe to carry, snappy to use, easy to close. I still think it's my favorite lock of all time.

VG-10, well I could take it or leave it, and with ZDP-189 and K390 you can leave it. But it still takes a great edge and restores in no time at all. I think if there were a CTS-XHP Delica 4 I'd spring for it immediately, I do love the toothiness of XHP over the keenness of VG-10, however.

When you read the spec sheet the Delica 4 is a yawn. It is unassuming, small, priced high, and much less dazzling than its fierce competition the Chaparral and Para 3 Lightweight. But in hand and in pocket, it's quite remarkable. It's a compact package with excellent handling. An understated classic. Reliable, high performance.
....agree 100%; if you're just cutting things there isn't much a small, handy Delica can't handle. And as you say, you never know it's in the pocket. Great knife...and that's coming from an Endura fan.
Riggz

Post by Riggz »

Wow...this is the same realization I’ve made recently. I have big *** hands, too and can get all 4 fingers around one, no problem. Fallen for the wharncliffe variant this time around. Wouldn’t mind some new premium steel options for the wharnie. The delica just works for my uses. Lightweight, disappears in the pocket and just a classic folder.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I had a very similar experience. I started with a Delica 4 based on suggestions, tried every Spyderco under the sun I wanted from the Calypso, Szabo folder, Police 1-4, Dodo, Lil Temp, Phoenix, ATR, Manix C95, Manix XL, Military (S60V, S30V DLC, 204P, CPMD2, BG42, S90V first run and others), and many many more.

This spring I decided the Pacific Salt 2 was my favorite knife in the line up. The Siren gives it some competition after trying it out but I could certainly be content carrying the Pacific 2 the rest of my days.

It's basically a rust proof Delica 4 sized for my hand, making it feel like coming full circle for me. I think if those people on the internet knew how large my hands were, they'd have steered me towards the Endura 4 anyways. That's what I get for walking into the store full of confidence I knew the best model for me instead of trying them all before choosing one.

If the Delica 4 handle fit my grip better I'd certainly own a few. The ergonomics are the only thing that don't click for me 100%, but every other aspect of the design is superb. Jealous of Delica fans and their thin blade stock. I'd love an Endura with that stock thickness.
:unicorn
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My experience is very similar to vivi's. The D4 was one of those early models in my collection and it's thinness along with the reliable and trusted VG-10 blade steel quickly won it lots of pocket time. Eventually I collected many colors and varieties of the classic. Hundreds of others have come through my hands since then and I have other favorites now, but anytime I pick up my old D4 (now my sons) I am reminded of those first times I carried and used it. Planning to pick up one of the K390 models when they are on the shelves.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have said several times, if we were honest with ourselves, a Delica is all we need. I have a slight preference for the D3 over the D4, but either are excellent for EDC duties.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:34 pm
The ergonomics are the only thing that don't click for me 100%, but every other aspect of the design is superb. Jealous of Delica fans and their thin blade stock. I'd love an Endura with that stock thickness.

For me even the ergonomics "click", I am just not too much into small knives and so I have only one Delica (which I really like).

On the rest I am totally with you. Still one of the best small folder designs, and the thin, but still robust enough blade stock is perhaps the best aspect of it.

It always puzzles me a bit why on earth they did not take that route with the Para 3 too when "shrinking" the PM2: Just give the Para 3 a thinner stock than the already anyway pretty thick one of the PM2.
Cause that´s one of the great things they did with the Delica, when seen as a "shrunken Endura": Similar lines, but thinner overall and especially in blade stock.

I think people overlook often that the Delica gives even larger hands a full grip handle (sure, not everyone likes the ergos), a very solid linered construction but still less weight than lets say Sage 5 LW or even Para 3 LW (despite having a solid hour glass clip), and and, as said, a blade thickness that is just offers better foundations for great cutting performance by its reasonable thin stock.

/ And yes, a 2.5 mm stock Endura would be great!!! :)
Or, as I have proposed several times: Even a Chap XL with just the 2mm stock of the current small Chap... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benben

Post by benben »

Haven't carried a Delica in years, in June the family went to Tennessee and I bought an old school saber grind Delica from SMKW, it really is a perfect work knife! A serrated wharncliffe Delica or Salt 2 is also on the "must buy" list!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benben wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:10 am
Haven't carried a Delica in years, in June the family went to Tennessee and I bought an old school saber grind Delica from SMKW, it really is a perfect work knife! A serrated wharncliffe Delica or Salt 2 is also on the "must buy" list!

I hear you... that just 2.5mm ffg blade of the SE wharnie Delica must be an amazing cutter.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Humint

Post by Humint »

I couldn't agree more with this thread. I currently have the GITD Delica sitting to my left as I type this post.

Over the years I have run the full gambit of almost every production knife brand out there. For me, Spyderco, Cold Steel and CRK were the three brands I liked the most (in that order). I have owned an unimaginable amount of models from each. I really wanted CRK to be the brand that I exclusively carried (the knife snob in me). However, for me, Spyderco just ticks all the boxes. I dismissed the Delica due to the cost. My thought process was there is no way a $65 knife could even come close to a $350 pocket knife. I couldn't have been more mistaken. I bought a Delica on a whim back in 2017 and "forced" myself to use if for a month. After that month I continued buying other models left and right as we knife nerds tend to do. The problem was after the short honeymoon period of a new knife wore off I kept going back to the Delica. Since 2017 it has dominated pocket carry 90% of the time. The other 10% was just those honeymoon phases.

I should note I feel the same way for the Endura and Dragonfly II

For me, the Delica checks off every boxes I want in a folding knife:

-Strong closed bias (I carry in the bottom of the pocket loose most of the time. If I am wearing shorts or just boxers around the house I IWB).
-Strong lock (just love a backlock)
-Ambidexterous lock (I am a righty and my young son is a left so I wanted a knife he and I can both use)
-Spyderco hole (there is just no way around it, I can't do thumbstuds after having experienced the Spyder-hole
-FRN scales (I prefer them so much more than G10 or titanium)
-Access to sprint runs in the same model so I can experience new steels while keeping the same ergos and lock

The Delica also belongs to a heritage line of knives (imo) that fit every need of a folding knife out there size-wise. If I could just have three folding knives only for the rest of my life, it would easily be the Endura, Delica and Dragonfly 2. Between these three, they cover a size that is all one needs in folding knife. Those models also benefit to from sprint runs and close alternatives to almost rust-proof knives like the pacific and salt line. Again, touching upon the ability to own a model with the same ergos, lock and opening method that can be adapted to different environments.

My knife collection was once in the tens of thousands of dollars easily. Now, I own five knives. All are iterations of the Delica, Endura and Dragonfly II. I truly do not feel the need to look for a new model. My knife journey is complete other than picking up some sprints on the above models.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Just when I was getting comfortable with the PM2 again😂 It's time to dig out the Delica 😊
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

benben wrote:
The serrated wharncliffe salt 2 is highly recommended by me.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
benben

Post by benben »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:54 pm
benben wrote:
The serrated wharncliffe salt 2 is highly recommended by me.
Pretty sure a Siren is next on my “must purchase” list, but a serrated wharncliffe Delica or Salt is also on that same list!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

benben wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:29 pm

Pretty sure a Siren is next on my “must purchase” list, but a serrated wharncliffe Delica or Salt is also on that same list!

I'm hoping they do the Wharncliffe PE and SE Salt 2 models in the new Toxic Green LC200N version. Those would be very popular being FFG I'd imagine. I've held off on the H1 because I am hoping for FFG LC200N.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
benben

Post by benben »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:54 pm
benben wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:29 pm

I'm hoping they do the Wharncliffe PE and SE Salt 2 models in the new Toxic Green LC200N version. Those would be very popular being FFG I'd imagine. I've held off on the H1 because I am hoping for FFG LC200N.
I love serrated H1, but I like the way you think! A toxic green Salt wharnie in SE LC200N is a no brainer!